Italeri 1/35 PT-596 original release

Gremlin56

With the build of the Land Wasser Schlepper drawing to a close it's time to pull something out of the stash. Going from a tracked floaty thing it would appear to be time for a "Full Floaty".

What is lurking on the horizon:

DSCN4100.jpg

DSCN4101.jpg

Model? check

Eduard PE? check

Italeri munchkin crew? check

Brass barrels for the gun tubs and the Oerlikon? check

:yahoo:ready to roll.......................................................

• Like 2

1/10 update:

I forgot how big a beast this floaty thing is, I'll need to make some serious space on the bench. Spent some time checking the after market barrels and ran into the Italeri PT boat upgrade set in the stash. Think how many RC's I can p*** off by putting the wrong radar antenna on this build :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

DSCN4109.jpg

DSCN4110.jpg

Drilled a lot of holes in the deck :blink:

• Like 4

2/10 update:

More paintwork at the LWS build but this is probably more interesting as you can see some progress here ;)

Some deck fittings added (what are those long curved wooden thingies called?). The PE sky lights have been fitted and the deck has been screwed down to the hull to enable an easier fit of a piece of deck.

Some thin glue, plastic strips and Mr. Liquid Putty solved all fit problems (grounded with Vallejo acrylic grey primer). Happy with the results:

DSCN4111.jpg

DSCN4112.jpg

DSCN4113.jpg

Rather disgusted with the Grand Prix, all for now

:angrysoapbox.sml:

• Like 5

Hi Simon,

Did a quick google but a thwart would appear to be a seat in rowing boat. Not saying you are wrong though, could be used for these strips on deck too. Can't even think of the Dutch name for these things.

The grand prix: small fry in the pageant of life in general but win some lose some in this case means Lewis loses all and Britney seems to be making off with title. Still, small fry when all said and told.

:winkgrin:

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

How about gunwales dear chap :unsure:

Simon.

A piece of timber going around the upper sheer strake of a boat to bind in the top work = gunwale

according to the Oxford companion to ships and the sea................................................( including major irritation to Mrs.Gremlin56 due to me removing her carefully sorted cookery books to find the OCTSATS, (can't keep writing the Oxford Companion etc.etc.))

26 minutes ago, longshanks said:

"  (what are those long curved wooden thingies called?). "

Toe Rails ?

Glad to see your starting in............................

:popcorn:

Kev

Can only find toe rail cleats, sounded promising but you don't pass go and don't get 200 quid...............................................................................

Ok. what are these things called?.......................................................:blink:

• Like 1

They are Gun wale Rail Cleats for want of a better word(crumbs what a mouth full) . for securing when in port so I am informed by those that know.

Nice going Julian.

Foxy B)

• Like 1

Thanks Frank, Kev.

The gun wale (toe) rail cleats are put on hold but I am not completely convinced because there are grade A-1 genuine cleats still to be fitted. Looking closely at the "rail like curved thingies" they would appear to be usable to put your foot against to pull in a line or a rope. They would be less usable to tie a rope on than a cleat because you have to pull the line through the rail instead of winding it around a real cleat. The more you look at them the more they seem to be rather unusable pieces of hardware................................................

This is a huge kit!

Saw one in (the now sadly closed) LHS around 5 years ago: massive box.

Pulling up a seat at the back with my Polos with the holos :) 

I've been rolloxed and thwarted, but never cleated. Must be something to do with the size of my top rail :shrug: ?

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

5/10 update:

progress is being made albeit unpainted, unfitted and mostly rather unimpressive at the moment. Luckily I am probably seeing things that you are not seeing yet :winkgrin:

DSCN4114.jpg

DSCN4115.jpg

DSCN4116.jpg

DSCN4117.jpg

DSCN4118.jpg

Coffee time :yahoo::yahoo:

• Like 2