Su-33 Flanker-D from Zvezda, new 1/72 scale kit

Flankerman

This just in........

Zvezda's Su-33 box art showing a Flanker-D launching from Admiral Kuznetsov - with a Kirov-class battlecruiser in the background.

Su-33_001.jpg

The back of the box shows a made-up model.....

Su-33_002.jpg

Unlike the previous Su-27SM kit, the upper fuselage is a one-piece moulding - with correct contours around the canard mounting shoulders...

Su-33_003.jpg

The lower fuselage moulding - with correctly aligned main wheel wells!!!.......

Su-33_004.jpg

Half of Sprue C with the intakes - note that there are no mesh intakes mouded into the intake sides - they are provided as decals...

Su-33_005.jpg

Sprue B - with the correctly-raked fin tips......

Su-33_006.jpg

Ken

• Like 2

More....

The other half of Sprue C - complete with a boarding ladder.....

Su-33_007.jpg

One of two Sprue F - exactly the same as in the Su-27SM kit.....

Su-33_008.jpg

Sprues D with the crew figures and Sprue E, the clear parts are also the same as in the Su-27SM kit.

The excellent decal sheet - from Begemot I think - is packed full of spencil data....

Su-33_009.jpg

Part of the instruction sheet showing the three possible 'versions' -
1. On the deck with wings spread

2. In flight

3. On the deck with wings and tailplanes folded.

Su-33_010.jpg

The wing fold parts are not as deep, nor as detailed as Trumpeters...

Su-33_011.jpg

The colour schemes quotes Humbrol paints - so it will be interesting checking if they agree with the AKAN Su-33 set.

This is, IMO, the best Su-33 in this scale - it is obviously designed down to a price - but it appears to be totally accurate compared to the Trumpeter and Hasegawa kits and as soon as I clear a backlog from my work bench, I'll get it started.

I'll soon have as many Su-33's as were built !!

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 6

I'm a great fan of Flankers but am not an expert on the type. I have Zvezda's Su-27SM, Hasegawa's Su-33 and Italeri's Su-32/34.

How would you compare this new Zvezda kit with Hasegawa's? 

Cheers 

Jaime

As with Jaime, I, too, am interested with how it compares with the Hasegawa Su-33(which I have in my stash(and is nicely done)). Now, if only Zvezda would do the Yak-38,and Yak-38UM(UD?), and the Yak-41/141........ A man can dream can't he? That said, the kit sprues look well done. ICM offers more "things under wings" sets for air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles. These allow for a bit more variety for a loadout. Thanks Ken! I can't wait for it to appear in/at LHS, Squadron, or Roll Models here in the US!

The Zvezda Su-33 is spot-on shapewise - the Hasegawa Su-33 has shape issues - with a 'flat top' to the spine......

Su-33%20025.jpg

Zvezda gives you wing fold options (not as deeply detailed as Trumpeters wingfold IMO) - although the intake side mesh grilles are represented by decals instead of being moulded.

Haseagawa is a bit of a 'Plain Jane' - out of the box you can only make it with wings spread, flaps and slats up.

I built mine as if on the holdbacks - 'hot to trot' - with drooped flaps and shortened nosewheel - the build photos are here.

I've built 3 Su-33's (Airfix conversion, Hasegawa and Trumpeter) - with the Zvezda kit still to be built and I would rate them as....

1. Zvezda

2. Trumpeter (because of the 3 options)

3. Hasegawa

But this is only my opinion - "yer pays yer money........."

Ken

PS

ICM offers more "things under wings" sets for air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles

The Su-33 cannot use smart munitions - it's purely an interceptor - but it can drop dumb bombs and rockets when needed.

• Like 3

Thanks Ken, for the info; I usually don't do the folded wings on naval aircraft; but, it is nice to know that Zvezda does offer the option. That it is not as good as the Trumpeter kit is okay with me. The aftermarket makers will offer 'better bits' for that! I was unaware of their inability to use guided air-to-ground munitions, always good to know that. Again, I am eager to see it offered here in the USA.

Thank You for the photos Ken.

Zvezda Su-33 is great looking plastic kit but...........

.......But what about the horizontal stabilizers.....only in a horizontal position when parked?? Cause on a real plane the horizontal stabilizers could be set in a different positions even when folded and parked.

And what about one-piece flaps  and no separate slats,  so work will be needed......the inboard leading edge slat and flaps are drooped with folded wings. Is that a possibility on the Zvezda kit or not?

Edited by su27rules

And what about one-piece flaps  and no separate slats,  so work will be needed......the inboard leading edge slat and flaps are drooped with folded wings. Is that a possibility on the Zvezda kit or not?

Not straight out of the box - I'm having to do the same on the Trumpeter kit - droop the flaps and slats on the fixed inner wing....

Su-33_007.jpg

Su-33_011.jpg

Then the one-piece outer flap needs to be separated into 3 parts - plus the ailerons need to be slightly drooped as well.

So, no, you can't do the wings folded straight from the box - you need to modify all three kits.

My Hasegawa build :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_su-33_hasegawa.html

My (ongoing) Trumpeter build :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_su-33.html

My (not yet started) Zvezda build :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_su-33_zvezda.html

My Trumpeter J-15 build (with flight deck) :-  http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_j-15_flanker.html

My conversion of the Airfix Su-27 - (done about a trillion years ago) :- http://www.lindenhillimports.com/seaflanker.htm

Ken

PS - One more thing about the accuracy of the Zvezda Su-33 - the box has the Sukhoi 'Cy' logo with the words - "Produced under the licence of Sukhoi Company' - so it is spot on.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

From what I can see in the instruction pages at HobbySearch, Trumpeter fixed the weird angle of the main gear bays on this one (and the Chinese version) from their earlier Flanker issues. Just thought it worth mentioning! :unsure:

I've lost my mojo on this model - along with a parallel Trumpeter Su-33UB build.

I can't remember which of the AKAN paints I used - but I wasn't happy with the results and both builds are stalled after being painted, masked and re-painted..

I purchased a set of Su-33 paints from MiG - but I haven't compared those yet.

Maybe the New Year will restore my enthusiasm...........

Ken

1 minute ago, AngstROM said:

From what I can see in the instruction pages at HobbySearch, Trumpeter fixed the weird angle of the main gear bays on this one (and the Chinese version) from their earlier Flanker issues. Just thought it worth mentioning! :unsure:

That's because they had to provide a completely new fuselage moulding for their Su-33 - to incorporate the canards and shortened tail boom - totally different to their other Flanker kit variants.

As well as a bigger wing of course.

So they had a 'clean sheet' on which to work.

Ken

Indeed...but with these guys I can't help feeling it's still a lucky throw of the dice! I confess I'm a victim of Trumpeter/HobbyBoss paranoia (hysteria?) and can easily imagine all of the above adjustments plus the old 'toed-in' gear bays...just pleased that didn't happen.