F-80 accuracy

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

Seeking a bit of advice from anyone who knows.

I want to build an F-80 in 1/72 and the choice that I have is either the Airfix kit or to bodge an Airfix nose on to a Sword RF-80. Having matched the two up their are very clear differences, apart from the obvious (RF- nose ;) ). Any ideas which is best to go for? I am tempted to think the Airfix is better but I'd bow to the collective knowledge out there. Thanks.

Martin

FWIW, I've never heard  anything bad about the Airfix F-80, it is rated as  one of their best  70's kits.

A check here  https://www.scalemates.com/search-solr.php?q="lockheed+p-80+shooting+star"

does not show a 1/72nd Hobby Boss F-80 .... as Ridge Runner has just  posted. If they did a 72nd kit, I presume it would be  a scaledown of the 48th kit,  which is has been rated as the usual HB  fare,  it 'looks' like  an F-80, but has some serious problems around the intake shape.

I  presume the idea of adding an Airfix nose onto the Sword  kit  is it  is a more modern kit?   I think with a bit bit modelling skillthe Airfix will still scrub up  rather well

Airwaves  did  an etch set  for  it

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/145520-airwaves-ac72-194-f-80c-shooting-star

used here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959433-airfix-172-f-80c-shooting-star-finished/

HTH

11 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

I really wish Airfix would reissue their F-80.  I need a few.  Especially if they were in Airfix's normal price range for reissues.  

Anybody at Airfix listening? 

Probably not but I would like to see this released again if they are, if you can release a dead loss like the Swift surely a repop of this is possible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks all. I tend to agree with you. Airfix it is!!! I have three in the pile :). My only thoughts about the Sword was that is has more detail and engraved lines!

Martin

My recollection of building the Sword kit is that the fit was atrocious. In particular, I had to carve (not trim) the cockpit innards to get the fuselage halves to close up. I'm quite prepared to believe that was my own fault but the bottom edge of the canopy was curved and it didn't sit properly on the fuselage. If I built another F-80, I'ld certainly go for Airfix.

Hi, I purchased the Sword F-80c (or P-80C on the box) after reading the complimentary build review on Modeling Madness site. Looks very good in the box, am sure it will take some work as most Sword kits do. Have the Airfix kit in the stash which is now surplus! My main gripe with that kit is the heavy engraving on the canopy. The Sword kit is now hard to get, probably easier to find the Airfix from usual dealers. Cheers, Paul

I think (!) I read somewhere that the Airfix canopy is a bit flat in profile.  I wonder if that is correct and if the Falcon canopy is an improvement.  I have to suppose the vacformed Falcon piece will be superior for clarity

• Like 1

Doggone it, Tony- you beat me to the reply! I echo the details in Tailhook Tommy's blog. It sure would be nice if Airfix would do a new-tool F-80- guess the C-model would be the most popular. I have the Sword kits, but haven't really played with them much...waiting for Platz to do one- if they engineered their excellent T-33A kit molds for a later F-80 kit, it would be great! Gotta be a red-striped 8th FBG 36th FS C-model with Misawa tanks and two 1,000 bombs! (I was so desperate in years past, I was seriously pondering taking the Heller T-33 and cutting out the forward and aft fuselage plugs to make it into an F-80!)

Cheers, mate!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected misspelled word
  • Like 1

All, regarding Platz, I asked and:

"Thank you for your inquiry and interest in our items.

We are sorry to inform you this,but there is no official schedule for the production of F-80 so far.

If F-80 kit is released,we will announce the details on our website.

Please check:
http://www.platz-hobby.com/index.php?main_page=index&sort=6&language=en

Also,this is our online shop.
Please check:

http://www.hobby-shop.jp/index.php?sl=EN

If you have any questions,please let mew know.
Again,thank you so much for your inquiry!

Sincerely,

Yumi
------------------------------
--
PLATZ Co.,Ltd.
3-1-1 KUSANAGI SHIMIZU SHIZUOKA
424-0886 JAPAN"

Hi all, with my friends of IPMS Chile compared the Airfix F-80C and Sword P-80A. The last one has a very good representation of the wing upper airfoil, but the Airfix one is very good in shape. The intakes or the Airfix one are a little big: we compard them with the real deal (FACh F-80C) in our aviation museum. The canopy is, as was said, somewhat flat and a little too wide. The canopy of the Sword P-80A is better in profile, but as Tommy points out in his blog , is better for P-80B version. Despite this, i want to make a vacuformed one based in the sword one.

Regards,

Javier

Edited by Jacarre
Mispell
  • Like 4

I don't think that the F-80 will be high on Airfix's re-tooling priorities. With some exceptions, the bulk of Airfix's 1/72 new toolings have been to replace very ancient and well past their best molds (not to say crude).

The F-80 was/is a very nice kit. The only sign of its vintage are the raised panel lines. These are a killer for some people - but not me.

The mid 1970s 1/72 releases were some of the best issued by Airfix up until the modern Hornby era and, by and large, they don't seem to be due for replacing by new tools. Indeed, it would be nice to see some of them re-issued again in the red box .

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jacarre said:

Hi all, with my friends of IPMS Chile compared the Airfix F-80C and Sword P-80A. The last one has a very good representation of the wing upper airfoil, but the Airfix one is very good in shape. The intakes or the Airfix one are a little big: we compard them with the real deal (FACh F-80C) in our aviation museum. The canopy is, as was said, somewhat flat and a little too wide. The canopy of the Sword P-80A is better in profile, but as Tommy points out in his blog , is better for P-80B version. Despite this, i want to make a vacuformed one based in the sword one.

Regards,

Javier

Javier, have you had any chance to compare the Pavla vacform canopy with the Airfix and the real one ? If the Pavla part is correct, it would be an easy way to sort this area on the Airfix kit

23 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I don't think that the F-80 will be high on Airfix's re-tooling priorities. With some exceptions, the bulk of Airfix's 1/72 new toolings have been to replace very ancient and well past their best molds (not to say crude).

The mid 1970s 1/72 releases were some of the best issued by Airfix up until the modern Hornby era and, by and large, they don't seem to be due for replacing by new tools. Indeed, it would be nice to see some of them re-issued again in the red box .

Well, they saw the need to redo the Spit I, P-51D, 190A and Lanc, all of which were mid 70s to 1980 moulds, with the Mustang being their only 72nd kit with fully recessed panels. Ok, as those were all good sellers, the moulds may have been past their prime. 

It was certainly stated that the Spitfire I and Lancaster toolings were excessively worn, though calling either "crude" seems harsh, particularly in comparison with so many other kits!.  I haven't seen the tooling state mentioned regarding the P-51D or Fw190A.  The latter was one of their better kits, but not the former.  I have the replacement P-51D and it is rather nice.    I gather from comments that the new Fw190 lacks the accuracy of the older kit.  Be that as it may, I agree that the F-80 is unlikely to appear high on the list of Airfix kits requiring replacement, but a re-release may be likelier.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

I gather from comments that the new Fw190 lacks the accuracy of the older kit. 

Apols to OP for drifting off topic, but to my eye the main inaccuracy is the thick wing trailing edges, scaling out at about 2" thick.  You can reprofile the flaps but doing the same with the ailerons would lose all the rather nice surface detail.  Whatever were Airfix thinking of?

For comparison purposes only, these photos show my ancient Airfix build, on the left, and the Sword, on the right, converted to a "B" model. I'll let you judge detail variations from the photos:

_IGP9383-vi.jpg

_IGP9385-vi.jpg

_IGP9387-vi.jpg

The Sword has a better (resin) cockpit, and the main LG bays have more detailed resin "boxes". I had to sand the devil out of the roof of the gear bays and the floor of the cockpit to just barely get everything to fit -- and yes, there was a lot of seam filling in that area.  The Airfix is pretty much stock, except for the dropped flaps.

Shapewise, I would build either again, perhaps trying to adapt (or makke a resin copy of) the Sword cockpit. My Sword kit offered both the early or late nose wheel styles.

Ed

• Like 3