617 Squadron Project

Tim Moff

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Great progress Tim :)

I was lucky enough to attend a talk in April '15 by George 'Johnny' Johnson, the last living British Dambuster. I posted about the talk but it seems to have gone missing - I finished "T Tommy' in August last year. There's more on the story in the posts and, of course, a WiP.

Thanks Ced - your WIP is great and will be useful for all 3 builds, especially the new tool Airfix!

33 minutes ago, Dazzio said:

I'll be along for the ride, being an Essex Lad (I don't own an white xr3i... Wish I did tho! ;))  I find the bit about Colchester rather interesting.  Ive also build the Revell Lanc, watch out for the bomb bay, you'll get a nasty step in it. Need to finish the Lanc off tho.  Nice to see you supporting the local guys too Tim.  Warbird decals come from Leigh-on-Sea :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

-Thanks Dazz - yep been sanding the underside mounts of the bombay piece - Clearly I need to sand the actual step on the outside?! I am a Suffolk boy, but settled and married to an Essex girl! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

-Thanks Dazz - yep been sanding the underside mounts of the bombay piece - Clearly I need to sand the actual step on the outside?! I am a Suffolk boy, but settled and married to an Essex girl! 

fraid so mate, I tried everything I could think of to get it flush. I was in a rush tho, never the best way to make a model. I just stuck it down and just sanded the sweetheart till it was flush. Apart from that I did really did enjoy the build tho. Oh yeah, I forgot about the merlins, they got thrown out the window too (figuratively and literally).

I'm trying to think of a witty comment about Suffolk but I got nothing... :/ nice area tho :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Any views on the HF wire Ae that is shown on the Revell box?

I have yet to see a ref pic showing the 2 wire Ae in the real aircraft?

Anyone know if I should model 2 AEs, 1 Ae or no HF wire Ae?

Got my Academy Mustang in the post, so the Tamiya Mossie, Academy Mustang, Airfix Vulcan and Airfix new tool await in the stash.

QmuoRcYS.jpg

Have got on with the internals on the 2 lancs, some work on the wings and other bits, including some masking of turrets etc....

Some kind donations of aircrew, for all 3 lancs, plus the Mossie and Mustang that come crewless.

The Revell RAF aircrew appear to be giant like - but the standing guys will work I think for the Navs looking out on the Stbd side, they may also work for the lying down Bomb Aimer. The smaller figures with some 'surgery' will go into the two turrets.

Getting close to closing up the fuselages.

Given the inside and crew figures  a wash of Floreys dark dirt to take away the 'shinyness' of the paint job, bit of metal drybrushing ets. Once buttoned up hardly anything will show. Consider scrtach building the Nav/Rad Op stations in the Airfix, but after dry fitting the Revell it seems pointless:

Guy Gibson flew in light Blue RAF Shirtsleeves:

4A35CE6F-989E-4BB8-91CA-3913CF1147D4_zps

Mass produced Aircrew (before final touches etc!!)

98CB8B82-8F48-469D-BA9E-FD963BB52B91_zpsEE6B6B71-F409-47D9-868B-2CA5B1BAD1B5_zps

2250585F-F658-4279-B5E3-920545275483_zps

83BEEA53-044B-4D13-9729-092EA301B008_zps

B5AEAF1A-2DDB-4BF0-A4B4-C7619655B159_zps

217D9D54-E51F-44FC-8B9F-3641A3536677_zps

FCEDD2C6-6C34-42AA-BF01-56DD9626A3AE_zps

Got the wings together with some Tamiya extra thin after taping up. Will look for seams at the front. Wings are a bit different. Didn't want to risk surgery on the Revell to add the correct shape....bit beyond my 'BMS'!!

99953EDE-8608-4A37-9F35-B4E37FFAB722_zps

A4F43CDA-2844-4F0A-B5CC-B090B122F9D6_zps

Engine cowlings/mounts will need some filler around the Airfix undercarriage doors!

EFDFB781-B197-4C22-A6D8-96528264EC59_zps

So, next step is close up, seams, build up the peripherals, filling, sanding yadayadayada....those other kits keep winking at me, my own rules normally state no more than 2 kits on the bench..... 

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 5

Any offers on the correct wire antenna fits for the Lancs? Revell shows one Ae?

Also any ideas on weapons carried by the pathfinding/target marking Mossies/Mustang? Be nice to add them as finishing touches!

Great progress Tim and I like the crew production line :)

OK, I'm going to crack and ask what the VW Camper van thing is on the workbench?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CedB said:

Great progress Tim and I like the crew production line :)

OK, I'm going to crack and ask what the VW Camper van thing is on the workbench?

Thanks - I do enjoy paint crews but find 1/48 a bit easier!

The VW campers are crocodile clips that I use to hold various parts/ boards etc for either painting/gluing etc!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Any offers on the correct wire antenna fits for the Lancs? Revell shows one Ae?

Also any ideas on weapons carried by the pathfinding/target marking Mossies/Mustang? Be nice to add them as finishing touches!

About halfway down the first page, they're in /48th but, target marking bombs for a mosquito........

Edited by It's a disease
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, It's a disease said:

Ahhhh, so this is the build....

I'm looking forward to the end result. That will be quite some picture!

Lol - don't expect too much!! I will do my best.

As far as the load for a target marking Mossie, my sense is that the bomber variants typically carried four TI's internally: the wing stations are usually seen sporting 50 or 100 gallon fuel tanks.

It might be a different story for the FB.VI, since it only had internal capacity for two bombs, and therefore they may have used the wing stations to carry a meaningful load.

cheers,

Jason

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:32 PM, CedB said:

Great progress Tim :)

I was lucky enough to attend a talk in April '15 by George 'Johnny' Johnson, the last living British Dambuster. I posted about the talk but it seems to have gone missing - I finished "T Tommy' in August last year. There's more on the story in the posts and, of course, a WiP.

That would have been an interesting talk. I recently read his book, really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2016 at 9:50 PM, Hirst89 said:

Looks interesting - I'm toying with this idea myself. Have you managed to get a grand slam lanc? Cheers, Michael 

No - I have looked for the Grand Slam model, but they are always stupidly priced on the rare occasions I see them...

• Like 1

On 10/13/2016 at 1:36 PM, JasonC said:

As far as the load for a target marking Mossie, my sense is that the bomber variants typically carried four TI's internally: the wing stations are usually seen sporting 50 or 100 gallon fuel tanks.

It might be a different story for the FB.VI, since it only had internal capacity for two bombs, and therefore they may have used the wing stations to carry a meaningful load.

cheers,

Jason

Thanks Jason, reading a couple of books where they were trying to get the fuel tanks - this would have left only the Bomb Bay as you mentioned for target marking. So that may be the solution - no tanks or bombs outside, or 2 x tanks for when they got them. As the decals are Cheshires plane and period, likely go for it being clean....

The link is a 1/48 great Tamiya build/diorama for AJ-L NT202 - it has a bomb dollie with 4 bombs (they look like standard bombs rather than incendiary - Jason?)....although Wiki says a max of 2 x 250lb or 2 x 500lb could be carried internally....and it has 2 x fuel tanks.....its a great build.

http://tmwcf.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?p=23924

Wiki Info

The FB Mk VI, which first flew on 1 June 1942, was powered by two 1,460 hp (1,090 kW) Merlin 21s or 1,635 hp (1,219 kW) Merlin 25s, and introduced a re-stressed and reinforced "basic" wing structure capable of carrying single 250-pound (110 kg) or 500-pound (230 kg) bombs on racks housed in streamlined fairings under each wing, or up to eight RP-3 25lb or 60 lb rockets. In addition fuel lines were added to the wings to enable single 50 imp gal (230 l) or 100 imp gal (450 l) drop tanks to be carried under each wing.[114][149] The usual fixed armament was four 20 mm Hispano Mk.II cannon and four .303 (7.7 mm) Browning machine guns, while two 250-pound (110 kg) or 500-pound (230 kg) bombs could be carried in the bomb bay.[nb 13]

Managed to button up both Lancs.....bit of Tamiya extra thin!

With the Airfix careful positioning of the halfs was important, as was fixing the floor/bomb bay in first. The intrument panel was a pain!

The fuselage halves were slightly warped, so trying to get the observation dome area right as well as the hatches etc was difficult. I will use the Kristal Klear for the hatches as again trying to fix was too difficult.

IMG_4278_zpsj8rrmply.jpg

The Revell went together a bit easier, but the bomb bay/floor was slightly curved, so again careful placement and alignment was important.

IMG_4279_zpsdvtrb0yg.jpg

IMG_4280_zpsw5slz8n2.jpg

IMG_4281_zpsrwjksplp.jpg

Trying to minimise a 'step' at the seam join was again my priority to lesson the issues with sanding and losing detail...seams are my nemesis...I have used plenty of extra thin over the joins, so hopefully they will sand out. If not its either perfect plastic putty or squadron green will be used, but I can never seem to get the joins right with it (pardon the pun!)...

Wings joined well and seams were pretty good with not too much work needed.

basic mistake with the Revell was not to mask the fuselage windows before the join!! will need to do now!

Will crack on with the last bits, engines etc...however that Mustang and Mossie box are...just ...sat...there,,,:evil_laugh:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Have managed to get on a bit with the 2 Lancs - inbetween a late entry into the Mustang STGB - which allowed me to build the Mustang III (Academy 1/72) that Wing Comd Cheshire flew whilst leading 617 Sqn.

Not yet complete, but the build thread is here.

Latest Mustang III Pics

F1495A40-6EC6-450D-BA07-9F6F1C357FD3_zps

28579402-B997-4836-9FAF-9535BF718436_zps

F36D677C-B488-4384-B06A-35532802AB12_zps

Hopefully get the green on tomorrow. Week left to get her done.

The old Airfix tool Lanc:

462ECB19-2025-4321-A65D-A388E0EA18CF_zps

FD3758E9-1BF2-477C-B690-15A75230C370_zps

Wings and Tail planes not glued on - easier to do separately. Next stage is the brown cam. Got most of the glass parts masked, what a job!

Revell new tool:

5C555286-8742-4FFF-BA20-9CF46BF8726D_zps

98B311A8-81B2-4A0A-BE95-34BBE28B2C8E_zps

Have had a few issues with the top join/fuse/seam - I think the bomb bay insert causes a few fit issues. It keeps splitting, even with lots of TET and clamps. And I hate seams....just going to have to live with it!

The pair together:

636D4782-7602-458C-A2B6-125E6A58713D_zps

206B5362-7AAB-4F1D-BA63-6CCEE617E768_zps

So want to get the last glass parts and turrets completed, the mine struts etc on the Airfix kit.

Using Mr Paints paint, that go on lovely straight from the bottle into the airbrush.

Had a lot of thoughts about aircraft to model. The Colchester reservoir mentioned in Gibsons log (actually called Abberton Reservoir), which is a KM up the road, was the training location for Target B (or Y!), the Eder Dam.

This was to prove a tricky target due to the terrain and specifics height and airspeed wise for the attack run.

Gibson acted as the raid 'director' at the Eder. Shannon tried first in L-Leather. He struggled and Gibson called him off for Maudslay in Z-Zebra to try. Again he struggled.

Back cam L Leather and on the 6th run of his second set, he released his mine with a DH. 

Back came Z-Zebra, who released his mine, which struck the parapet and exploded. Z- Zebra climbed away, after a brief radio message. Never to be heard of again, fatally damaged by his own mine.

Knight, with the last remaining Mine was called in. N-Nuts released its weapon on the 2nd run, scoring a DH.

This was decisive and the Eder was breached.

I have decided to build the Airfix old tool as Gibsons G-George, minus its mine, having hit the Mohne, directing his men over the Eder. The crew made it home, sadly, all were to be KIA in later actions. The Mine in the kit is poor, with slats etc, rather than smooth, so will be omitted.

I will model the Revell new tool as Z-Zebra. Its mine directly struck the parapet, without 'bouncing'. It flew on, off course, was shot down over Emmerich near the Dutch border, sadly all of its crew were KIA.

When I build the new tool Airfix, I will model it as N-Nuts, flown by Knight and his crew. Knight was to be KIA in a later 617 Sqn raid, keeping his aircraft high enough to allow his crew to bail out and survive.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CedB said:

All looking good Tim :)

I'm not sure if you've seen it already but there's a mine of information at http://www.dambusters.org.uk. Great reference for the crew, aircraft, missions and after story. HTH 

Many thanks - yes used the site and a couple of ref books, and your build thread as it goes!

• Like 1

Pics not the best, started with Mr Paints Dark Earth, mottled on as best I can, its really thin. I then added a couple of drops of white and added some lighter areas.

Next phase will be to spray a misting coat over the areas just enough to add tonal variation.

Lets see if it works!

ECBCD87F-5C46-44D3-8309-DDA4B2EFACE9_zps

CA0145A6-4EB1-428E-93A7-FE751863D58F_zps

4042E4E1-6F6E-48E5-888A-F58755504900_zps

86F2EA18-8BB1-4543-9F36-D2B49EEDDB7D_zps

• Like 3

Misted top coat on....

DB72E6D1-3063-4AD8-956B-06AA412914C5_zps

0BBFF07E-9744-4358-8D71-0237097567B3_zps

153C03E4-018B-4CC6-9A58-F7CEF97008E2_zps

CACA3CB8-23EC-43F0-9A05-EA38D237A9C2_zps

Couple of days at work then some TOIL - hopefully get the Dark Green on - after some copious masking or dare I freehand?!

Masking likely!

• Like 5