AMT 1937 Cord 812 Convertible 1/12

activexp

Another vintage kit to add to my collection of historically interesting cars. The Cord 812 was the first American-designed and built front wheel drive car with independent front suspension.  Power came from a 4,739 cc Lycoming V8 engine developing 125BHP.

cord%20box_zpszjhkflee.jpg

cord%20instructions14_zpsguhqm6q5.jpg

Is this an oxymoron? 

cord%20unnumbered1_zpszubdxxso.jpg

cord%20sprue1_zpsaeudnrnl.jpg

cord%20sprue_zpsbjsh8jcu.jpg

Many parts have come off the sprues.

cord%20sprue12_zpsl2px85oa.jpg

cord%20sprue10_zpsjlw9c7kh.jpg

cord%20sprue11_zpsmkmvlfjl.jpg

cord%20sprue8_zpslssjbhdb.jpg

cord%20sprue9_zpsvf8chwy8.jpg

cord%20sprue7_zpstbdlck3y.jpg

cord%20sprue3_zpslr5ynwwq.jpg

cord%20tyre2_zpscgxyxrty.jpg

cord%20sprue13_zpstgbkesze.jpg

cord%20sprue6_zpsblx5jkla.jpg

cord%20sprue5_zpsc8eubjhx.jpg

cord%20sprue4_zpsp7h06bhe.jpg

A bonus part found in the box, not part of the kit!

cord%20lens1_zpszfkdrdyn.jpg

Good to have you on board arni ( Nigel):)  A comparison of the two kits would be interesting.

I've started on the engine and transmission. As is typical of a kit of this age, most parts need a bit of re-working and cleaning up to get a good fit due to heavy seam lines and flash. Finer details such as tubing/plumbing and wiring are lacking. 

cord%20engine1_zpsdr4b4qdl.jpg

cord%20engine2_zps2kuqgu1c.jpg

I have one of these stalled at present. I bought it 'unstarted' from America, only to find it had been badly started and 'dismantled' (read broken apart,) and the steering and engine being assembled back to front. I need to make some replacement parts. Hopefully I will get back to it next year. I have built the 1/24 scale one as well.

On 01/10/2016 at 10:14 AM, activexp said:

Good to have you on board arni ( Nigel):)  A comparison of the two kits would be interesting.

I've started on the engine and transmission. As is typical of a kit of this age, most parts need a bit of re-working and cleaning up to get a good fit due to heavy seam lines and flash. Finer details such as tubing/plumbing and wiring are lacking. 

Will dig it out for some pics,a day or two..

Thanks Nigel, I see it's a Lindberg kit and by all accounts, a good one.

Moving on with this build. engine now finished .

cord%20Image6_zpsxht1mjml.jpg

cord%20Image3_zps3qpayuis.jpg

cord%20Image5_zpstfybxwym.jpg

cord%20Image2_zpssrkb9gsu.jpg

cord%20Image4_zpsp7ugpfwp.jpg

...........and made a start on the chassis.........

cord%20chassis7_zpsc89pp2a0.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Uncle Nigel for posting the sprue pics of the baby, very cute. Does it come with whitewall tyres? 

A little more done on the big daddy version, front suspension and poseable steering. Quite fiddly due to numerous ball joints and links and some vague placements.

cord%20front%20sus1_zpssegearvr.jpg

cord%20front%20sus2_zpsyuqj8hgw.jpg

Another vague placement is the radio aerial. It's guesswork where it goes.

cord%20chassis2_zpssfuz9m65.jpg

As the box art depicts the vehicle with whitewall tyres, I decided with some trepidation to attempt painting them, not an easy masking job. 

cord%20whitewall4_zpsmmxvosnk.jpg 

The finished result was better than expected.

cord%20tyres1_zpsuczs1kkv.jpg

• Like 3

Moving on to the body, primed and ready for dark blue paint job in preference to yellow.

cord%20body%20prime1_zpssvkddbfc.jpg

cord%20body%20prime2_zpsdi3ccpzd.jpg

cord%20hood3_zps6nfvcjke.jpg

cord%20bodypaint4_zpsxadjt76t.jpg

cord%20bodypaint5_zpss0vkoeab.jpg

Doors completed and the window winders actually work :). I really don't like the ugly hinges so I think I might remove them and have the doors permanently closed.

cord%20doors6_zps9htdrfiq.jpg

cord%20enginemount7_zpsip0wpqdi.jpg

I was expecting some chrome parts for the louvres with this kit, but no. I've attempted painting them instead with mediocre results.

Your kit sounds much better than this one.

For the chrome, try some PlastiKote Brilliant Metallic Chrome Silver. (Homebase) Mask with the new Tamiya tape for curves. You may need to stretch it to get the width right. Try and spray it all in one go, as it WILL lift if you try and mask over it. It also fingermarks, so it needs a coat of Kleer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RichO said:

I once bought a kit were almost all the parts were off the sprues. Nice start Steve, good engine detail.

Thanks Rich. I seem to have a number of parts that don't belong to the kit but luckily only one missing part, a small box that sits on top of the dynamo. I think I can live without it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

For the chrome, try some PlastiKote Brilliant Metallic Chrome Silver. (Homebase) Mask with the new Tamiya tape for curves. You may need to stretch it to get the width right. Try and spray it all in one go, as it WILL lift if you try and mask over it. It also fingermarks, so it needs a coat of Kleer.

I've done it more or less as you suggest using 1mm masking tape and brush painting the silver 'chrome'. Unfortunately I had some seepage which has left it less tidy than I had hoped.

Does your kit come with any decals? All you get in this kit is a paper cutout for the dash, nothing else.

cord%20instruments3_zpsrrxbb4xg.jpg