Kitty Hawk 1/48 Jaguar correction kit

RMP2

If youve clicked on this then you probably know of the basic, but major issues with trying to build the Kitty Hawk Jaguar kit accurately with the kit parts.

A friend and I are hoping to sort this with resin sets that consists of maybe 2 options to correct the kit parts:

Option 1: RAF

Inner wing pylons

Outer wing pylons

2 x fuel tanks

Option 2: French Air Force

2 x French style fuel tanks

It would be great if anyone has dimensions for the above parts rather than just working by eye against existing parts and photos. You guys have been fantastic in helping with things like the Jag ladder dimensions previously (theyre on the cards too) so any further help to get this nailed would be great.

If other parts would also like to be addressed, please say so and dimensions will again be sought out.

For the record this is a small, private enterprise as it were, to try to sort the issues for fellow modellers rather than a commercial effort to make a shed load of cash. Its a work in progress, looking for info and thoughts at this stage.

Hope this is all within forum rules etc, only trying to help people out for sensible money, nothing more.

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

How about adding a new leading edge to the inner wing panel to minimise that slight curve everyone goes on about? :)

Hmmm that would mean treating a resin-plastic seam over quite some length...:~ Maybe a correction template?

31 minutes ago, Mike said:

How about adding a new leading edge to the inner wing panel to minimise that slight curve everyone goes on about? :)

To be honest I think the gentle sanding method is the way to go there. It worked for me and Im still wearing L plates. ;)

52 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

We've got a RAF Jag fuel tank in the museum. When I get chance I'll pop down and measure it up for you.

That would be incredibly helpful indeed. Along with the obvious length, if you could get circumference measurements at obvious points then we could work those back to diameters too. If there are fins fitted, then those would also be appreciated.

Thank you very much indeed for the offer, much appreciated. :)

Hi,

Maybe not the whole leading edge, but what about a slat of acceptable dimensions??  

Also, the inner trailing edge flaps are wrong as they don't have enough chord and there should be a 'curved' cutout where they meet the fuselage to go around the engine bay when they are lowered.  The Paragon parts were much better in this respect...

In any case, I'm in for a few pylon sets!

Good luck,

Guillaume 

On to the measurements then All measurements are in cm:

Front Section:

Length = 171

Front Diameter (at tank tip) = 7

Rear Diameter = 68.5

Centre Sction:

Length = 216

Front Diameter = 68.5

Rear Diameter = 58

Rear Section:

Length = 129.5

Front Diameter = 58

Rear Diameter (at tank tip) = 5

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

On to the measurements then All measurements are in cm:

Front Section:

Length = 171

Front Diameter (at tank tip) = 7

Rear Diameter = 68.5

Centre Sction:

Length = 216

Front Diameter = 68.5

Rear Diameter = 58

Rear Section:

Length = 129.5

Front Diameter = 58

Rear Diameter (at tank tip) = 5

You Sir are a bloomin Star! Thank you very much indeed, perfect info. Shame about the fins, but I am sure we will sort something. :)

Thanks again.

On to specific details.

On the top centreline of theCentre Section there is a muti-pin electrical connector. This connector lies 34.5 from the forward edge of the Centre Section. The connector diameter is 2cm and it lies on a circular flange of 8cm diameter.

Moving aft on the top centreline of the Centre Section the forward tank mount is a blind threaded hole of 6.5cm diameter within a flange of 11.5cm diameter. The centre of this mount is 60cm aft of the forward edge of the Centre Section.

Moving further aft on the top centre of the Centre Section is the rear tank mount. This is the same as the forward tank mount and lies 138cm aft of the forward edhe of the Centre Section.

Aft of the rear tank mount on the top centreline of the Centre Section are the fuel couplings (it appears the tank can only be filled when mounted on the aircraft through the aircraft's internal fuel system). The couplings are mounted on a plate that is 23.5cm x 13.5cm with curved ends, the plate is attached with 20 hex head bolts of 12mm head size arranged equidistantly around the plate.. The front of this plate lies 56cm forard of the rear face of the Centre Section. Mounted on this plate are 2 circular fuel couplings., the forward is 7.5cm in diameter, the rear is 6.5cm in diameter.

• Like 1

There are also 3 inspection ports fitted to each tank. These ports lie on the LHS of the tank. 2 are on the Centre Section and 1 on the Rear Section.

These ports have an over-centre catch and are 8cm in diameter and mounted in a circular plate of 13.5cm held in place with 12 Phillips Head screws of 8mm head diameter.

The front port is 21cm aft of the forward face of the Centre Section and 13.5cm below the top centreline.

The middle port is 98cm aft of the front face of the Centre Section and 23cm below the top centreline.

The rear port is mounted on the Rear Section 30.5cm aft of its forward face and 13.5cm below the top centreline.

• Like 1

Again - thank you!

One question though - the dimensions to the hatches, couplings etc - are they to the centre of them or the edge?

There are 3 'Press to Test' buttons mounted in brass plates on the bottom of each tank section. It would appear that when pressed, fuel would drain from the tank.

The brass plates are 6cm x 3cm with curved ends and secures by 2 cross head screws of 7mm head diameter.

The rear of the forward plate is 13cm forward of the aft face of the Front Section.

The front of the centre plate is 25.5cm aft of the front of the Centre Section.

The front of the rear plate is 13cm aft of the front edge of the Rear Section.

Finally there is a stencil on the LHS centre of each Centre Section which reads: ASBESTOS PHENOLIC MATERIAL.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

One question though - the dimensions to the hatches, couplings etc - are they to the centre of them or the edge?

The measurements for the Electrical connector, Tank Mounts and Inspection ports are to their respective centres.

• Like 1

Well, thats all certainly something to be looking at. :)

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to do such a comprehensive job of it all. It is all very much appreciated.

Been in talks this evening and the tank info has worked out great in sorting things out.

Next are the pylons....  Any help here is again hugely appreciated from you lovely, lovely and gorgeous folk. :)

The wing pylons obviously need sorting and need the adapter piece for the Phimat chaff pod too.

Would people like a replacement centreline pylon too? Its an extra expense that maybe could be avoided?

Personally I dont think the KH version is too bad, maybe a bit on the chunky side, but I can live with it as its barely seen once fitted and loaded up, but thought I would ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.

Things are moving with the Jaguar fuel tanks first, both RAF and French, next will be the corrections for the RAF pylons and maybe some work on the Phimat and ALQ-101 pods.

But for now what we are looking for is any information regarding RAF pylon dimensions for both inboard and outboard wing jobbies and the centreline pylon (if theres any of the latter still hanging about).

All we need for the tanks is fin dimension stuff - I thought I saw some Jag tanks lying about at Newark, down the road from me, but unsure about fins - can anyone here confirm?

This will all happen, guys. It started with me asking if some Su-25 FOD covers could be made and a couple of weeks later, they arrived and fit perfectly. See my link in my signature, dont want to clog this thread. ;)
Point being - any info will be of use and will be worthwhile for the greater good... :D

Now, where was that thread about the pylons and the few correct resin versions that were made....?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello again.

Update - tanks and inboard pylons for the RAF Jaguar are ready for casting, working on the outer pylons now and wing fences too.

Apologies for the delay, life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes.

17475206_10208850087425175_776975700_o.j

• Like 3

I would like to second Mike's suggestion to address the wing shape issue somehow. I understand that it might be difficult of too involved/costly/OTT to do some kind of resin correction, but I'd very much welcome detailed instructions plus a template drawing for how customers can make this correction themselves.

Cheers!

Jeffrey