Heller 1/24 Citroen Fourgon H Van

mbdesignart

Whilst detailing the grille surround and Citroen logo something didn't seem to be quite right. A bit of googling later I'm sure the 4 bars that make the inverted V are a lot thicker than on the kit grille and the lower pressed panels to the bonnet sides should not appear [compare this with the image on page 1], but this could be year specific as some twin window versions have them - unless they have been replaced? Here's an image showing the grille, do I add some strips to the grille at this late stage? Also I've noted variations on the wing mirror mount locations. Those crazy French!?

063516.jpg

Now sorted with some Microstrip and a shaving off the surround to make it a little wider albeit flatter, but the corner radius on the surround isn't correct either. Mon dieu!!

150423.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
new photo
  • Like 2

I've been gathering info on this van for a future project and from pictures I've seen yours is the earlier model with the wide bar Citroen emblem on the grille and split screen, the later model having the shorter pointed arrows and one piece screen. All the pictures I've seen seem to show the mirrors mounted on the doors on both early and later models. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the bonnet side panels "should appear" though.

Roly

Edited by ROLY43T
wrong information supplied

Roly,

Thanks for the input and I've noted your edit, but to clarify for other following this thread in case I may have caused confusion read on...

If you look at the bonnet sides below the headlights there are some large pressed panels, where the indicators or sidelights are sited. It appears that the early models did not have these, on the Heller kit these would need sanding flat to replicate the early version [something I missed until now]. However, during my research I've noted some twin window versions do have these panels but I'm not sure of model year variations when these began appearing. 

Re the wing mirrors, yes they are door mounted but some are above the window and some infront of the window on the leading edge of the door.

Trying to pin down which versions had what at what time is turning into a minefield.

Mark

I see what you mean now.

Looking again at the picture of the one you're modellingon page 1, it's just possible to see that it does have this panel but only because of the weathering at the bottom edge shows it up. I have a picture of a very dilapidated van and it first appears there isn't this panel (or pressing) but it's just about evident on one side, so maybe it's down to the light in some photos.

In the previously mentioned photo, which unfortunately I don't seem able to upload in a reply, the mirrors are mounted on the front of the screen pillars but on subsequent scrutiny they're clip on retro fit ones, hence the edit.

Best of luck with the research Mark, I used to model railway stuff and that's also a minefield. Great model by the way, I'm following it with much interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news, I've been reliably informed again [for anyone that listens to Simon Mayo's show "Dealing with Numpties!" is appropriate] that the decals are on the way and should be here by the end of the week. I can get this finished before Christmas and then it's back to the Panigale and some spoked wheel experimentation which should be interesting with the offset on the rear wheel.

Yes, hurry up and finish the van so we can see the PSP (Paul Smart Panigale)!

There's a good chap 😝

Not not because I don't like the van, it's fab, but I love the PSP.

Edited by injidup

On 12/15/2016 at 11:26 AM, injidup said:

Yes, hurry up and finish the van so we can see the PSP (Paul Smart Panigale)!

There's a good chap 😝

Not not because I don't like the van, it's fab, but I love the PSP.

I'm back on the Panigale modding the fork tops this past weekend and back into primer this morning as, you guessed it, no decals for the H Van yet. We are not amused!

15 hours ago, roymattblack said:

I don't think I've ever copied anyone else's work but this one really tempts me to build exactly the same vehicle as yours.

I just love the old van and the chosen livery.

Ace work.

Roy.

Thanks for the comments, feel free Roy, the more the merrier. There's plenty of scope to really go to town on all the detailing I haven't done. 

Hooray the decals have finally arrived. I think someone's ears were burning?! Next post will be in the completed builds section in a day or two.

Thanks to those who have followed along and the comments on the build, I hope it has inspired millions of you to rush out and buy a kit.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2016 at 10:04 AM, mbdesignart said:

Next post will be in the completed builds section in a day or two.

I think I spoke too soon.

I decided to have one cab door shut and one open. Well the shut one has a gap you could fall through, is that what is meant by 'Suicide doors'? Anyone planning on the same would be advised to test fit before painting in case of needing any fettling. [That's what you get for rushing] I am progressing with the decal application but on the corrugated sections it's a bit of an up and down process. 

• Like 1

Bit of a mishap today trying to take a shortcut. Result - one door window having to be cut out, sanded & polished and now seeing if a dip [or two] into the Future will save the part. Anyone got a bottle of hindsight?! Also looking to see if I can polish the cab front windows without them requiring major surgery too. :( Apart from that it's all looking great. 

Perhaps I need a pint of this?

194748.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
photo added
  • Like 2

Well I've done as much to rectify the widow issue as I'm going to. Side door window replaced with 2 part slidy version and front windows cleaned up as mush as possible. Other last few bits added so I'm calling it done. Completed build photos will be in the Ready for Inspection section.

Thanks for following along.

And just for Hewy...

141430.jpg

Edited by mbdesignart
photo added + extra info
  • Like 3

Thanks for the comments, glad you like it. Now what about a 'Guinness Vans of the World' theme? In addition to the Citroen there's the Transit, VW Type 1, Toyota Hi-Ace, Chevy van, plus lots more I need to think of :D

• Like 1