Heller 1/24 Citroen Fourgon H Van

mbdesignart

Thanks Roger. Yes indeed, saved myself some work by coming back and taking another look at it. Although it was only the top, arched section of the door frame I was considering remaking, but even so, easier.

My new toy, a mini spray booth, was delivered yesterday which will allow me to get on with the exterior paint in relative comfort rather than battling in a cold garage. More good news - I've found the aft section of exhaust pipe on the sprue which is not shown on the instructions. I didn't think terminating the front section in a chassis crossmember was quite right, even for the French! I'll post a photo when I install the engine, front subframe and exhaust later.

Haven't visited this build thread for a while, but she's coming along nicely. Like the work done on the motor, really nice. :goodjob:

As an aside, have you seen Heller's new Little Grey Fergie? Another gem from Heller.

BillyD

When I've moved in 1996, I've used this van, which served of livestock vehicle to a friend of mine  :)....very funny and dangerous to drive :unsure: but very cheap and helpfull B)

Your nice build transport me 20 years back !

1 hour ago, Billydick said:

Haven't visited this build thread for a while, but she's coming along nicely. Like the work done on the motor, really nice. :goodjob:

As an aside, have you seen Heller's new Little Grey Fergie? Another gem from Heller.

BillyD

Thanks BillyD, it has been a little frustrating at times but it should build into something decent at the end. Someone told me of the Heller MF Tractor, a strange kit for them to produce? I see this subject was one of Airfix's early kits but I'm not sure what scale it was in. I found this image following a search, anyone up for a tractor pulling contest :D The photo doesn't show it but it is 8 wheeled!

084854.jpg

Crazycrank, I'm sure every trip in an H Van was an 'adventure'. How about this for an alternative scheme with some interesting engine and chassis mods?

084855.jpg

Niiiiiice !!!! I've never seen such pretty Citroen Van during my childhood.

And I'm not sure that Brembo's brake brand existed at that time ? Must verify !

the colors and signs you shows on this picture make the van looking like a race one !😀

Unknown_zpseves67ul.jpeg

This is a new tool 1/24 this year .  You can either build British variant, or the slightly later French built version.  Managed to get hold of one recently. A little gem.

Keep up the good work with the H Van !

BillyD

I managed to fit the lower rear doors today, plenty of gaps to keep the beer cool [the real ones are just the same] and all masked up ready for the cream and black topcoats. Also mated the engine to the subframe and attached the exhaust and silencer and gave them a flaky rust caking - this will be installed after painting the body.

194253.jpg

115725.jpg 115704.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Billydick said:

Unknown_zpseves67ul.jpeg

This is a new tool 1/24 this year .  You can either build British variant, or the slightly later French built version.  Managed to get hold of one recently. A little gem.

Keep up the good work with the H Van !

BillyD

Great idea by Heller to offer both left hand and right hand drive versions ;) An interesting subject, may be one for my nephew as he's into all things farm plant related. I was out near Wetherby last weekend where a ploughing completion was being held, it looked like the field was full of these.

Thanks for the ongoing compliments, not far to go now - famous last words?!

Edited by mbdesignart
extra info
  • Like 1

I finally managed to get half the colour coat on, although I wish I had laid some white primer to where the cream was going. Several coats later... I used a mix of Humbrol 103 matt and 74 gloss. This will be left for a couple of days to harden before masking for the black coat. Also sprayed up the resin tyres with the white walls. All these will eventually get weathered.

161934.jpg

I have managed to get the black on. Not too happy with the Tamiya masking sheet as there is some bleed around the window rubbers despite ensuring it was well rubbed down, I'm hoping the weathering will hide this or maybe do a bit of retouching first. Anyway it's going to be left until next week to dry fully. Off to Telford tomorrow.

125926.jpg

125949.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

I have managed to get the black on. Not too happy with the Tamiya masking sheet as there is some bleed around the window rubbers despite ensuring it was well rubbed down, I'm hoping the weathering will hide this or maybe do a bit of retouching first. Anyway it's going to be left until next week to dry fully. Off to Telford tomorrow.

125926.jpg

125949.jpg

Love the combination of colours  :)

I recently saw one of these outside Bristol Temple Meads Railway station masquerading as a baguette and beer shop. Wish I had taken a picture, but was in a hurry to catch a train. I didn't realise just how big they actually are! Bigger than a Transit. Over the years I have seen quite a few of these on British roads, but never close up...

Edited by Alan R

On 11/12/2016 at 0:55 PM, Alan R said:

I recently saw one of these outside Bristol Temple Meads Railway station masquerading as a baguette and beer shop. Wish I had taken a picture, but was in a hurry to catch a train. I didn't realise just how big they actually are! Bigger than a Transit. Over the years I have seen quite a few of these on British roads, but never close up...

Alan, these are spreading like flies, 2 were seen at SMW Telford last weekend. Cosford museum have one too - all refreshment type vendors.

Not much done on the H Van build, catching up with paperwork:( Just hoping the decals turn up soon.

I really want this van, along with the Italeri Transit and the Tamiya Toyota HiAce van (Sadly out of production ... again!). Your Citroen looks superb, a real battle, but definitely worth it!

All the best, Alan.

Thanks for the encouraging comments, always appreciated.

The assembly is nearing completion with the engine/front subframe fitted, tighter than a tight thing to insert, although my addition of ignition leads didn't help. As previously mentioned the rear exhaust section, missing from the instructions, has been fitted. The front section has to be threaded between the cross member and drive shaft, the tension this exerted on the silencer flirted it off into the middle distance - cured by superglue, I'd recommend leaving the silencer off until last in this step.

Another point to take note of is when fitting the wheels, pare down the stub axles in diameter slightly to ease fitment especially on the fronts.

As can be seen I've added a dose of weathering to replicate the condition of the van in the photos, then I need to decide which doors will be left open.

132507.jpg  132525.jpg  

132616.jpg

• Like 4