1/48 HUMA Flettner Fl 282 V14

This is an older build back from 2011 and the first one after a long hiatus. Learned fast that this kit ain't a proper starter. But anyway, I learned a lot about scale modelling the hard way. :bristow:

It shows the first serial produced helicopter, a Flettner Fl 282. V14 means that it's the 14th produced prototype. It was used for calibration flights and completed 116 starts along with 28 operating hours. It had intermeshing, counter rotating rotors, so no tail rotor was needed to equal engine torque.

The kit showed great moulding quality with very fine and detailed parts. Its the only quarterscale kit of the one-man-company named HUMA that quit business in 2002. I added PE seatbelts, some brass rods to stiffen the under-carriage and self made decals. Cut out the rudder, too. Paintwork is Vallejo Model Color - RLM 65 / 71. My gun and me had a hard time with 'em.

Fl282_SPR-01.jpg

Fl282_SPR-02.jpg

Fl282_SPR-03.jpg

Fl282_SPR-04.jpg

Best regards,

Torben :bye:

Edited by mostrich
  • Like 22

Very nice indeed.

A nice clean detailed build and the paint looks great.

It really is a shame Huma has gone. I hadn't realised it was a one man business.

He made great subjects like this, the Focke-Achgelis 223 'Drache', Klemm 25, Arado 68, some great 'Luft 46' too. Really nice surface detail.

:goodjob: 

All the best

TonyT

Beautifully rendered trailblazing Kolibri!

I wonder if Flettner's intermeshed rotors 'inspired' the Russian Kamov bureau? The design is reputed to work better in gusty conditions than the conventional main/tail rotor arrangement.

Inspiring model! I have to locate my kit in the stash… ;-)

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you all for your flattering comments. I know why I did no macro shots... :coolio:

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I believe the technology lived on

in the Kaman Huskie?

Correct, and also in their K-Max. They're used in rangy terrain for timber transport or construction site support. Because of the tricky handling only experienced pilots with +1000 flight hours on common helicopters are allowed to fly them.