paint4models conversion site?

Beardylong

I'm just back into modelling after a 2 1/2 year hiatus. I used to use the Ultimate Paint Conversion chart that was available at www.paint4models.com but it doesn't seem to be working. It was really good, but I don't know if it was being maintained. If it is now defunct, what is the best online colour conversion resource? I'm particularly keen on Humbrol to Vallejo, Humbrol to Tamiya and Humbrol to Mr Color. Thanks

Thanks guys. Agree James, the old 'crap in - crap out' analogy is a universal truth. It did seem to be pretty reliable though and I usually cross reference against several sources before I commit. I may have commented on this back in 2014 when I was last active on this forum, but it's a massive task to take on and maintain. Seems like a group like Britmodeller could support it in a sort of crowdsource way. Then you'd have all members able to contribute to it. Just a thought ....

Time to fire up the ol' Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160822010830/http://www.paint4models.com/

The "Launch" appears to be inoperative, but the "Download" still works.

Edited by Space Ranger
Addtional info.

Doesn't work. 

You get as far as the main sheet and then it can't communicate with the server.  For me it's been down completely for the last few days and I have had problems with it for weeks.  I've also tried downloading the pdf but that also has the same issue.  I thought they also did an excel sheet, and I wish I had downloaded that now, even though I looked at it and felt lost...

Really hope it's not going to be down forever as it was a great resource even if just for finding out if certain manufacturers do an equivalent paint to another's paint and I have come to rely on it - it's the easiest and quickest resource to use.  It wasn't all that up to date though as I have in the past couple of years found that certain manufacturers do paints that weren't in the paint4models.com database.

This thread probably needs merging with the thread I created in Chat last night...

Edited by Raven Morpheus

6 minutes ago, Raven Morpheus said:

Doesn't work. 

You get as far as the main sheet and then it can't communicate with the server.  For me it's been down completely for the last few days and I have had problems with it for weeks.  I've also tried downloading the pdf but that also has the same issue.  I thought they also did an excel sheet, and I wish I had downloaded that now, even though I looked at it and felt lost...

Really hope it's not going to be down forever as it was a great resource even if just for finding out if certain manufacturers do an equivalent paint to another's paint and I have come to rely on it - it's the easiest and quickest resource to use.

This thread probably needs merging with the thread I created in Chat last night...

PM me with your email address.

• Like 1

Afaik, paintformodels hadn't been updated for quite a few years. It has seemed to me that several of my go to colour check sites have disappeared of late, scalemodeldb.com & scale-models.nl modellers site  that had charts of Humbrol, Revell & Tamiya paints on it is no longer maintained & has lost its colours. As someone who liked to play with colours they were useful to get ideas rather than the whole answer.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Thanks Mike,

I only discovered my faulty hardware last night and saw you Guys were talking about it - I created the account just to let you all know it was up and running again. Surprising with 500+ visits a day that no-one sent me an email.

And regarding other comments - yes it is a bit out of date now. About time I updated it :D

Spaddad - the pdf is working fine, I just downloaded it with Chrome and Firefox as I saw your message pop up, try refreshing the page?

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Paint4Models said:

Thanks Mike,

I only discovered my faulty hardware last night and saw you Guys were talking about it - I created the account just to let you all know it was up and running again. Surprising with 500+ visits a day that no-one sent me an email.

And regarding other comments - yes it is a bit out of date now. About time I updated it :D

Spaddad - the pdf is working fine, I just downloaded it with Chrome and Firefox as I saw your message pop up, try refreshing the page?

Got it, thanks paint4

spad