Wessex 5 845 Squadron

Getting in a bit of practice for the group build I know its a few weeks away but I have many more Wessex kits in the stash and will be participating in the GB anyway.

Italeri Wessex built strait from the box but using modeldecals for the markings.I notice that I need to put a couple of ariels on.  Isn't amazing what you don't see in the flesh but shows up like a sore thumb when you see a picture.  Tried etch on the seatbelts for a change it is however still a learning process.  How people do the really fine stuff is beyond my capabilities.  I did rebuild the tail rotor to rotate the right way but overnight the gremlin snuck in and took one of the blades to god knows where so I have used a tail rotor from a previously built HAS3 I may get to modify this one later.  This is a generic build and not of a particular aircraft

Paint is Tamiya 58 with a coating of future polish. 

Normal viewing distance 5ft For those that say I am a quick builder the model took 4 days from start to finish working around 4 hours each evening.  I was thinking of changing my user name to Rocket Rodders because of my perceived speed in building kits

This is an aircraft from the squadron

img005_large.jpg

Rodders

51.jpg

50.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

Thanks for looking

Rodders

• Like 22

On 29/09/2016 at 10:47 AM, bootneck said:

Excellent model Rodders!  :clap2:   I have a particular affinity for the junglie Wessex, especially one in my old squadron's early '70s white markings.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I felt like doing a Wessex because it was an aircraft type Tony used to work on.  I have done it as a generic build as the aircraft I wanted to build was YA the aircraft lost at south Georgia the aircraft Tony told me he was the maintainer on. I went to his funeral yesterday a great loss to the modelling community.  I am trying to get the large 55" letters so that I can do it for the Wessex group build that is coming up.  If you around Yeovil way anytime and want to meet up PM me and I will stand you a coffee or a pint.  Thanks for you comments.

Nice one, Rodders…….Always liked the Wessex in the overall Green Scheme…..I remember seeing these wheeling around the base at Dhekalia in Cyprus during the evacuation of British tourists in the aftermath of the Turkish Invasion of July 1974. Made a big impression on me as a teenager. 

• Like 1

Been there, done that, got the fridge magnet!  The squadron was pretty well tied up in all sorts of tasks during that situation; from evacuating civilians, on standby to deploy the Royal Marines of 41 Commando to any troublespot if needed, plus their own ship's tasks (HMS Hermes).  It is these elements that make me like the junglie Wessex and Rodder's build so much.

Mike

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Love the Wessex in all shapes and forms but there is something special about the 'Junglies'

Nice finish and tribute to Tony.

Richard

(Should it be XS481 though ? as '881 is an HAS1 ..excuse the nitpicking!!)

I know that's why I did a generic one if I had had the proper 55 inch decals I would have done it proper like.   For the group build I will do itwith all the right serials markings ect. 

Rodders