Review: A Tale of Two Airbrushes

Texan76

Hello everyone. I just received two new airbrushes in the mail today, so I thought I would pass on a small review to everyone. The results between the two could not be further apart.

I have not had much success with my Harder Steenbeck Evolution. It just performed very poorly with the paints I use for some reason.  So, I had decided to go back to Iwata for a detail brush when I read online about people being happy with Badger. I never have had much experience with Badger, other than an old single action model I've had for years. I found the Badger Renegade Krome on sale through Dick Blick Art Supply. With the sale, I also picked up a Paasche Talon TG. The Badger was right at $100, where the Paasche was only $60 (which is what made me decide to try it. I'll start with the the Paasche.

If you were to judge the best brush on looks alone, the Paasche Talon would take it. This airbrush is just gorgeous. But that is where the romance stops. To sum it up, it's performance sucks. It will not spray well at all. Not at any pressure or paint dilution.

IMG_0861_zps8ieqrjre.jpg

Here is the results. The small lines are made with heavily diluted Vallejo paint and low pressure, and there is still considerable overspray. 

IMG_0868_zpsialmy90y.jpg

These areas were sprayed with Tamiya black paint diluted 50/50. The overspray and graininess is completely unacceptable. 

IMG_0869_zpsbrrc15of.jpg

I checked the needle, nozzle, paint, everything. Could not find an issue. Like is said, I bought it due to the price and thought I could make a general use brush out of it. Instead of sending it to the manufacturer for inspection, I'm just returning it to the store. Not very interested in this one at all.

Now, on to the Badger. The Renegade Krome comes in a nice metal case and includes a .2mm needle/ nozzle as well as a .3mm. 

IMG_0863_zpsbo9verpr.jpg

I mixed up some Tamiya NATO green to around 50/50 and sprayed the lines seen here with the .2 needle first then the .3. I was astounded! The atomization was excellent, trigger action very controllable, and the ability to do fine lines was incredible!

IMG_0867_zpsfr0g1wrs.jpg

Here are some fine lines and mottle with the .2 needle. 

IMG_0865_zpsv30sivie.jpg

Some freehand camo with the .2 needle.

IMG_0864_zpsramsjcb0.jpg

I am in love with this Badger. Most of you here will not believe me, but this thing, at least in my hands, way outperforms the Harder and Steenbeck. I have not had better results or performance from any other airbrush I've used before. This brush will now be my detail brush, and all at less than half the cost of a comparable Iwata. If there would be any gripe at all with this brush, it would be the roughness of the machining inside the cup, but it doesn't seem to affect the performance. Is the Badger as aesthetically appealing as a H&S or an Iwata? No, probably not. But it will hang with them all day when it comes to results. I can't wait to get a new model started with this brush. I liked it so much that I ordered a Badger Patriot to try out as a general use brush.

If anyone has questions that I could answer about these, feel free to ask. 

Edited by Texan76

Does look very impresssive.....How is it to strip and clean?  :hmmm:

I have a DeVilbiss Super 93S for detail work, it's an awesome brush, but it's also a bit of a chore on the maintainance front (I almost always lose the little widget thing that locks the needle).  :confused:

That'll be the little fella in the tube I guess?  :hmmm:

Reckon I'd be OK with that, the problem with the DeVilbiss 'widget' is that it looks exactly like a piece of cut off sprue.....If it hits the deck in my modelling room, it's a gonner (I reckon my loss rate is about one in three)!  :doh:

I have the exact same brushes! The Renegade Krome really is that good... it isn't the "agricultural" airbrush some people think it is.

The Talon is temperamental with the .38 and .21 needles and tips, and will simply stop spraying if you look at it the wrong way. However, with the .66 needle and tip it becomes and excellent general purpose airbrush that's great for single-colour, primer, and clear-coats. You should see how much paint it can shift at full chat!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

I have the exact same brushes! The Renegade Krome really is that good... it isn't the "agricultural" airbrush some people think it is.

The Talon is temperamental with the .38 and .21 needles and tips, and will simply stop spraying if you look at it the wrong way. However, with the .66 needle and tip it becomes and excellent general purpose airbrush that's great for single-colour, primer, and clear-coats. You should see how much paint it can shift at full chat!

I also find that the "step" in the needles helps build up dirt inside the airbrush. As you say: thickest needle and us as a GP airbrush. The Krome is a far better deal and beats most other brands.

• Like 1