Norwegian F104

Phartycr0c

I tend to agree a new classficationi of some sort for these type of aircraft would be good . 

We still have not had the report of the Shoreham accident as of yet and maybe on the back of that there might be some changes for the better but I will not be holding my breath ......

Afterburning jets in private hands scare the CAA  senseless no matter how well they are maintained , if they were still operated by the military as a historic flight it would probably be a different story !!!!

Guy

Edited by F4u

Why afterburning in particular I wonder? 

There are other features that might bother me more if I were in charge of approvals, control system oddities for example. (The Gnat would be a classic example of that !)  Afterburning itself is not necessarily complex.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Too much flak for the CAA if pilots went above Mach1 and broke a few windows. It's a joke as the Sea Vixen can do Mach 1.3, and did so in private hands over the channel. I have that from the horse's mouth.

A very good point Bentwaters81FTW (what a fine airfield that was, and I recall the 81st's Voodoos).  Several of the machines in current use around the UK scene can go supersonic, at least with a gentle dive to help.

I'm delighted to hear the Sea Vixen is so capable; an aircraft I have long admired - I still think the RAF was wrong opting for the Javelin, impressive though it was !

John B

Considering that a good number of jet warbirds can fly above M1 without afterburners, the CAA would have to stop most of them if they fear someone may break the sound barrier.

Now as supersonic flight is severely controlled pretty much everywhere, any pilot who decides to do so during an airshow would likely find himself unemployed at the very moment he lands

Edited by Giorgio N