Norwegian F104

Phartycr0c

Great news the 104 has flown what a sound well done to the team.

Guy

12 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

. Fairford next year?

Would be great, but I think its banned together with the Viggen and Draken apparently due to being privately owned complex afterburning aircraft. The same reason the Lightnings at Brunty are grounded. 

I do stand to be corrected on this but the CAA regs are very stringent. Im thinking a visit to the continent will be required to see these in the flesh. 

The Swedish Historic Flight aircrafts are on the civil Swedish register. As they are approved for flying by the Swedish CAA equivalent, I'd expect them to be able to fly anywhere in Europe.

However from what I've read the CAA has recently stated that in order to take part in a display, the pilots must hold a British Display Authorisation, something that the CAA may refuse to pilots holding a foreign DA that intend to fly high performance aircrafts. So these aircrafts may fly over the UK but not display.

If things stay this way, there's little chance that the Norwegian 104 will ever perform at a British airshow as it's civilian registered aircraft too. This is course a pity as watching a Starfighter display is a great experience !

Beautiful sight and sound.

There is a possibility of seeing it in the UK. The CAA were not happy with the Swedish DA paperwork, hence why the Swedish Historic Flight are no longer coming here, BUT the Norwegian Vampire duo and MiG-15 are flown by pilots with Norwegian-issued DAs, so watch this space.

I must say that it is great to see an F-104 getting airborne again.  That howl they made in certain flight regimes was just spine tingling.  

I guess being old has advantages.  All those 70's airshows with types all now confined to the museums.  Displays by several Lightnings together.  Buccaneers, F-104s Fiats, Phantoms, and all the "heavies" now all sadly just a yellowing photograph and no longer to be seen.

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

The Swedish Historic Flight aircrafts are on the civil Swedish register. As they are approved for flying by the Swedish CAA equivalent, I'd expect them to be able to fly anywhere in Europe.

However from what I've read the CAA has recently stated that in order to take part in a display, the pilots must hold a British Display Authorisation, something that the CAA may refuse to pilots holding a foreign DA that intend to fly high performance aircrafts. So these aircrafts may fly over the UK but not display.

If things stay this way, there's little chance that the Norwegian 104 will ever perform at a British airshow as it's civilian registered aircraft too. This is course a pity as watching a Starfighter display is a great experience !

Ah, ok. I stand corrected. Sorry for providing wrong information earlier...

I hope there will be some airshow participation, or at least some public displays, if not in GB then at least in Norway...

The F-104 is everything a jet fighter is about for me, certainly heavily influenced by my childhood in Germany. Never seen it flying a display though.

Jeffrey

4 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

Ah good point. I did say I stand to be corrected I didnt relaise they had attended. 

The CAA will no longer grant display authorisation to the pilots of the Draken and Viggen and will be the same for the Starfighter.

Edit  

Jeffrey beat me to it !

Guy

Edited by F4u

6 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

I also seem to have read somewhere that the Norwegian Starfighter is military as well, but not sure about that.

On the Norwegian civil register, LN-STF.

Nils

Don't know if the Viggen, Draken or the Norwegian Starfighter could fly into the UK for a static dispay or the CAA flattly refuse any flying in UK airspace ?

Guy

Edited by F4u

28 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Knowing the CAA............:rules:

Your probably right , after burning jets !!..... :boom:

Guy