A mighty fine Tomcat! Beautiful, and going by this I may pick up a HB Cat to add to the stash of Hase and Fujimi kits I've already got (no such thing as too many Tomcats!)

Very impressive and beautifully finished, love it.

Eng

• Like 2

Thanks for all the love guys 👍🏿

Was worried its a bit too 'clean' but the photos of the real plane on the sunset/retirement flight show it this way. A tidy CO's bird :D(Google images 'f-14d 101 vf31' and there are plenty of it)

Plus i prefer my builds this way to emphasise crisp build work and a smooth paintjob, as opposed to the current fashion of spanish style modelling to weather the hell out of everything with a paint scraper look...

Most of the subtleties in the finish are from building up the colours over the black primer, and then it's  had the usual panel line washes (track wash colour in/on the exhausts, various grey tones on the tps, a deep brown on the white u/c parts and then black on the red areas.)

Finishing touches were a few streaks on the undersides around the engines and some pigments around the crew access steps and wing walk as per reference pics and thats about it. 

On another interesting note, whilst trawling pics there are at least 3 variations between 2003-2006 of this the CO's plane, This being the final one. They vary in small things such as:

1 - felix has red eyes on the drop tanks.

2 - no yellow outline and angle of the nose numbers

3 - no black area (skunk stripe?) behind canopy (black stops there) along with a different camo demarcation in that area.

4 - along the bottom of the tails where the 'trophies' and carrier name is... 

5 - position of and the carrier code itself (NK/AJ) 

Plus probably other things ive not noticed, crew names may have varied over the time too... 

I'm going to shut up now :rolleyes:

Edited by Tony Oliver
Spacing
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

Excellent model, the restrained weathering looks spot on.

Cheers mate, this first one from over a year ago has 6 sisters now, RFI links all in the 1st post of the wip. 

The 8th one (vf21) being done concurrently with the 262 👍🏿

• Like 1