AMT Darth Vaders T.I.E. restoration

This is one of my oldes kits on the shelf which survived to this day. September 24th 2016 that is. When I removed it from the shelf to give it a good wash to remove the dust. While I was washing it I wondered if it would not be a good idea to repaint it in a more proper colour - a fresh can of Tamiya Haze Grey was in the workshop... Besides the wings were not well aligned so maybe after 25 plus years the glue would have lost enough strength to gently break some parts off for repainting. "Crack!!" The left wing snapped off while I was still thinking about this saying "Boy - go ahead! Now."

The part dismantled kit. The grey was way too light compared to the real thing (see below some pics from the Star Wars Identities exhibition):

DVTIE1_zpsoavif5pc.jpg

From the exhibition:

DVTIE0_zpswvjnvda0.jpg

DVTIE00_zps9ihx6irz.jpg

Whatever colour I used for the "windshield" frameing - it was quite close to Haze Grey which is now applied to the T.I.E. exterior:

DVTIE2_zpslud208lp.jpg

DVTIE3_zpsjl06rb3w.jpg

I just masked the black panels on the wings as the paint was OK:

DVTIE5_zpsfjaeluwv.jpg

Masked removed - a few touch ups will be needed.

Next will be some subtle weathering and detail painting. Maybe I will add some plastic bits to get it closer to the prop.

René

• Like 4

I did a small bit of work over the weekend. I scribed some missing panel lines and added a few details as below. The first panel line was not correct, so I did it again. And another time. The first two were puttied and sanded but they are still visible - so I nee to rework them once more.

DVTIE6_zpspjjsqwgh.jpg

Checking the picture I took of the Star Wars Identity exhibit I realized that the piece behind the cockpit sphere looked like a part from a Sherman. Having a 1:48 Sherman in stash I checked and found it a good match regarding size. After some "should I really take this part from the Sherman kit???" I finally said - should I ever build this mishap kit I can recast one of these parts. Maybe... At least it looks a lot nicer on the T.I.E:

DVTIE7_zpsw6fka5wn.jpg

DVTIE8_zpsaomqteon.jpg

René

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update. I applied some Vallejo dark grey wash to bring out the details and panel lines and atatched the wings again:

DVTIE12_zpsk5pt7ftz.jpg

DVTIE13_zpstccguiod.jpg

DVTIE14_zpsw5kyixbn.jpg

DVTIE15_zpsg1ef1is5.jpg

Some detail work is still needed and I need to decide with or without "glass". This one is without:

DVTIE16_zpsheh8yxe8.jpg

I will be abroad till mid of November so the next update will take some time again.

René

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry  - I lost the clear part for the front and I am still searching... I should really take some weeks off and send my family abroad so I can clean up and rearrange my man cave. Loosing parts has become a major part of my hobby and I really dislike it by now.

I know that feeling, I've spent many hours over the years searching for tiny bits on the shed floor!

In all honesty I wouldn't worry about the clear parts, the studio models just had bare frames with no plastic and thats how a lot of people do star wars models anyway

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hunter Rose said:

(...) In all honesty I wouldn't worry about the clear parts, the studio models just had bare frames with no plastic and thats how a lot of people do star wars models anyway

Yep - I know. Still I find it odd looking on the shelf without the clear part. If I do not find it the next couple of weeks, I will fix the frame with white glue so it can be removed again without fuss should the clear part resurface.