This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Magua87

Aeronavale Lancaster

Hmmmmm. Considering the detail I've been adding I don't think the standard Airfix canopy is going to cut the mustard. Will give it a dipping of clear, but I think I'll need to pick up a vac formed canopy. 

nmQSpMjl.jpg

fE8nOzNl.jpg

4MlQa5ul.jpg

"...vac formed canopy"? Braver man than I :)

Nice job on the windows too.

Work continues while I wait for my new canopies. I'm picking up two sets on a trip to Wellington this weekend. 

yM8hHwsh.jpg

I was a bit too keen with the knife and had to narrow one of the windows. The Hasegawa kit has come to the rescue again! The rear observation windows were also included on the clear sprue; pattern parts for the MR3 boxing. 

Edited by Magua87

Hi Magua 87,

If you're after a photo reference of the H2S scanner, here is NX611's, taken by me on Saturday. It is reportedly in the same condition it was in when the Lanc left French service. Don't forget that depending on which Lanc you are building, it may have the bomb bay cutouts for the lifeboat fitment. NX611 has them so she can be used as a guide. I hope it is of help;

3_zpsqwqdxccv.jpg

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908

On 11/22/2016 at 3:35 AM, Mancunian airman said:

I keep looking in for updates ?

I hope all is well down there ?

Ian

Slow progress, but I'm back onto it. I've been working on some P-51s and have been attempting to clear the shelf of doom (1/72 Airfix Meteor F8 and Xtrakit Supermarine Swift).

The vac-formed canopy is a thousand timers clearer than the old Airfix canopy. My photos below don't do it any justice. The Lancaster I'm modelling has the larger dome at the rear of the canopy. I'm considering cutting the clear-vax canopy and splicing in the larger dome which is spare in my Hasegawa Lanc. For now I'll get back to preparing the fuselage to be closed. 

XY0ka0Ml.jpg

5eK41Eil.jpg

Edited by Magua87

Posted (edited)

January since my last post. Wow. 

Next steps. Door and window on the rear fuselage. I laid some paper over the Hasegawa fuselage, used a pencil and shaded the door outline. I cut this out and used it as a template for cutting a plastic card door. 

OQ3RB3Hh.jpg

I'm about ready to close the fuselage. The vast majority of the raised detail has been removed and I'm working on a few sink marks. Old moulds. Here I'm blanking the gap left from the removal of the turret fairing. 

CRn5asqh.jpg

Edited by Magua87

I'd forgotten all about this - good to see it underway again!

Keith

Great project!

Most of the Aeronavale Lancasters used the late larger tailwheel with standard tyre design, the nearest kit one in size is the Hasagawa tailwheel, though you would have to fill the middle of the tread as they represented the twin contact tyre on the hub.

Awesome! So glad to see this is still on track! Just went through it again, and your progress is looking great. And those references are going to come in handy when I do my Lancaster in the Matchbox GB.

Posted (edited)

I went to add the fuselage windows tonight, but boy are they THICK! You can't see anything through them.

yq3MaIHh.jpg

I've got a sheet of clear acetate lying around which is nice and thin. Not a great photo, but you can see my paintbrush on my cutting board behind the window. Not sure how I'll glue these in without making a mess of it. Maybe a future dip and a touch of super glue. Or a thin wick of PVA and a toothpick to remove the inevitable over application. 

VF9WvU5h.jpg

And one detail I forgot to show in my previous post. I've removed the frame from behind the front turret. 

pkB20rvh.jpg

Edited by Magua87

Hi ... 

I was looking forward to seeing how this build developed!

Are you OK.

Just wondering

Jonny

Posted (edited)

Progress is slow cutting out the windows, so I decided to move to the wings.

The raised detail has largely been removed. There was some significant sink marks across the wings. This was most noticeable on the trailing edge and above the ailerons on both wings, and in the middle of the port wing, running between the leading and trailing edges. All filled now. You can see the remnants where the darker black is in front of the aileron inset (Mr Surfacer 1500). 

50h84jzl.jpg

QWb9mNKl.jpg

Looking forward to closing the fuselage. I just need to crack on with those windows. 

Edited by Magua87
Added details

I'm still fiddling with the windows. Actually, I spend more time thinking about it than cutting (dreading it). 

I've been continuing with the wings. They've been glued and sanded. One wing needs a touch of Mr Surfacer along a leading edge to deal with a sink mark, but there's nothing too serious otherwise. 

She's a BIG bird in 1/72. Biggest by far in my cabinet. 

Out of focus photo of a dry fit to the fuselage. 

I56Ml2Rh.jpg

Underside

kZZcLp1h.jpg

Glad to see that there is progress.

I am so pleased that you took off the front turret fairing, I have been doing that for years and in all honesty, probably the only shape thing that is incorrect on the Airfix Lancaster . . . 

keep up the good work

Ian

I grew tired working on those tiny windows and bought myself some Humbrol Clearfix. I've tested it on another WIP and it seems to do the job. Will be easier to use as the kit nears completion than trying to avoid getting glue all over the little windows I've been cutting from acetate.

With that obstacle out of the way it was time to close the fuselage. 

Before:

4nCRQ3oh.jpg

And after:

2KyfWRdh.jpg

Now I will move onto the seams and blanking off the hole made by the removal of the turret. This will be my first use of Milliput for anything other than seat cushions (this Lanc' and my 48th PR XIX). 

Edited by Magua87