Supermarine Spitfire IX, 92 Squadron RAF.

I'm going to have a go at EN446 QJ-1, using the AZ Spitfire IX and the Xtradecals sheet X72-110. It'll be brush painted with a mixture of Humbrol and Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats enamels.

Before I start, the decal sheet has the aircraft having wide cannon bulges and the spinner either Night or Dark Blue. What does the Britmodeller hive mind think?

A quick search shows that the spinner colour has been discussed before, the photo suggests, to me, that the aircraft has wide cannon bulges but I'm no clearer as to the spinner colour.

Edited by Beard
To add information
  • Like 2

Here is the pic,......judging by the colour of the roundel centre which we know is red,.......I would say that the spinner is black or blue,......I would go for black myself but it could be a flight colour and be blue too? The wheels have hub covers too and the `QJ' codes look to be grey with the number `1' in white. For the Sicilian invasion Spitfire V units had some Spitfire IX or VIII allocated to provide top cover and these wore numbers rather than letters.

92sqdn-spitfire9-qj1.jpg

Good luck with this one,....nice choice,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

Here is the pic,......judging by the colour of the roundel centre which we know is red,.......I would say that the spinner is black or blue,......I would go for black myself but it could be a flight colour and be blue too? The wheels have hub covers too and the `QJ' codes look to be grey with the number `1' in white. For the Sicilian invasion Spitfire V units had some Spitfire IX or VIII allocated to provide top cover and these wore numbers rather than letters.

92sqdn-spitfire9-qj1.jpg

Good luck with this one,....nice choice,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony,

The photo shows the near impossibility of determining colours from b&w photos. The looks to be same colour as the blue in the fuselage roundel and fin flash. I think black is more likely than blue but that's not even an educated guess, just a guess. Mind you, dark blue would look quite interesting.

• Like 2

As the Tomahawk is nearly finished (just the canopy and pitot tube left to fit) I've made a start on this. I'll be using the last two from a Joypack:

20160923_171655_zpsuaqtyikz.jpg

Here are the sprues (the second one will be used for another entry in this Group Build):

20160923_171803_zpsbuaa8mir.jpg

This is the aircraft I'll be attempting:

20160923_171730_zpsc4b9dulk.jpg

Some painting has been done and some parts put together:

20160928_131516_zpsewwfrukd.jpg

20160928_131330_zpssmydu8la.jpg

20160928_131313_zpsu82mp0n4.jpg

20160928_131243_zpsxe6tgvbu.jpg

20160928_131355_zpskul2vvrk.jpg

(You'll notice that I cut too much off the wing-tips, nothing a little filler won't sort out.)

20160928_131412_zpsdidnhk2j.jpg

This is as far as I got today:

20160928_153545_zpst93ays79.jpg

As usual, thanks for looking and I welcome any comments you may have.

Edited by Beard
Spelling and grammar corrected
  • Like 5

A little progress...

20160930_163624_zpslfuxu4hs.jpg

The gap on the starboard wingtip was caused by over-enthusiastic sanding and has been filled.

20160930_173436_zpsprvc5eva.jpg

As have some other gaps. Is it my eyes or is the port cannon blister not on straight?

I'll start painting tomorrow, after some sanding.

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Simon

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Beard said:

is the port cannon blister not on straight?

Hmmm. I think that's one of those 'now that you mention it' things. It certainly didn't pop out at me on first sight and the shadows might be fooling us. What's it like under a measure?

1 minute ago, CedB said:

Hmmm. I think that's one of those 'now that you mention it' things. It certainly didn't pop out at me on first sight and the shadows might be fooling us. What's it like under a measure?

Do you mean a measure of gin or whiskey?

• Like 4

Well I haven't been drinking, so.... To me it looks slightly skewed

but if you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have noticed.

As we used to say on the building site....

"I'll not see it from my house.".....😉

Sean

• Like 3

I've been lurking Simon.

Can't resist one of your Spitfire builds, and I'm very interested in Mk IX in 1/72.

The bulge looks fine, then again, I really have just had a glass of Beefeater and Tonic (with lemon 🍋). Probably best just listen to the sober people here :) .

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

Crap! Tony at that point it was only one of us! 

Its the morning, so thankfully I am sober... A good sign from a life perspective! But the cannon bulge is ever so slightly off.... Only ever so.... To fix this? Take pictures from and angle always.... No need to thank me....

sean, you crack me up with your little gems! And for your ability to write how most of my family talk...

Rob

• Like 3

Thank you for your opinions on the cannon bulge, I'm going to take Rob(85)'s advice and only ever show photos of the finished kit that are taken at a angle.

Just applied the first coat of Airfix Azure Blue to the underside. No photographs because it's not very exciting.

• Like 3

That's what I do for all my Rfi's!! Once paint decals are on, you'll not even notice.

13 hours ago, rob85 said:

sean, you crack me up with your little gems! And for your ability to write how most of my family talk...

Rob

Perhaps we're related?.......Cousins!!!!!! 

Sean

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, sean said:

That's what I do for all my Rfi's!! Once paint decals are on, you'll not even notice.

Perhaps we're related?.......Cousins!!!!!! 

Sean

Well it's always possible! However mine are all from the tip on my dads side, a few from the north on my mums.... However my wife! Different kettle of fish, you could be related to her! Rooneys from Clones Co Monaghan....much more your neck of the woods 😃 And a lovely neck of the woods it is too, need to get the kids over there they would love it.

Rob 

• Like 1

Clones is a very nice place, stripped a couple roofs over there a while back.( Legally, I'll have you know).

Plenty of Rooneys around here, although I'm not related to any, here or there.

Having said that, Dad liked to travel..;)

Sean

• Like 1