Up and Down like a brides nighty. The Airfix SeaFire FR.47 1:48

Well hello there.

Hot on the heels of my Revell Stearman Kaydet 1/72 build I got lured in by the wonderful box art of this my next build. I haven't built a Spit in years and have never built a Seafire.  I will be building the Airfix Supermarine Seafire FR.47 one wing up one wing down ( like a bride nighty;) ). Apparently you could do this while putting pressurhe on one wing while the wing fold mechanism was being executed. I got this kit at Cosford this year for a tenner. I'm not planning on buying any after market parts as the kit looks pretty damn good. I'm aware of the canopy fit issue and the props and tyres. The props look ok to me and I have seen sea fires with the tread that's on the kit so unless I can find a good way of modifying the kit parts they might just go on as is. I have just received some Micro mesh on Ceds recommendation so the canopy will be slightly high but. It will it be shiny. Hopefully you will join me for another fun journey into plastic.  So without further ado let's begin. Here's the wonderful box art.

9DFFC988-F7CC-432C-8B2A-B05D149E415C_zpsd3uuoikd

Those counter rotating props. Oh my word.

I'm going to be doing this scheme, because sexy.:Tasty:

3EFD5F10-9E6C-4830-8FAC-560FD5182392_zps33amczpl

Here are the sprues and decals. The details are amazing, lets hope the fit is good.

143467A3-696E-4E2E-8AD1-0B8C037C86D5_zpsf3p2uzsa

Starting at the start we have ze chair. It has some flash but nothing too bad, it's nice to be back at 1/48:tooth: to be fair.

FC8E7815-6B8C-45B4-B77F-4379394C1E40_zps1ojqmgkr

This is kind of where I got to last night. (Not very far I know) Hopefully I'll get some more done tonight, I just wanted to get this thread started.

If you guys could possibly point me in the direction of scratch building tyre treads that would be lovely. I tried googling but couldn't find any thing useful.

thanks for dropping by on my new build, hopefully it'll be a doozie.

Happy modelling guys.

all the best.

John.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 14

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

This will be good, I'm in.  I built this a few years ago and loved it, awesome looking machine with the contra prop and griffon up front.  Was an enjoyable build as far as I recall.

All the best

Chris

Great to have you on board, did you do a WIP on here? :) it would be more than useful.

John

I've got this one in the stash (I think I have 3 or 4 Seafires in the stash), so I'll just sit by the side here and watch if you don't mind...  

Was thinking mine would look good in landing config, with the pilot hanging out of the side of the cockpit, gear down, flaps down, hook down just supported above the deck...

• Like 2

Get cracking my good chap! It's a Seafire after all. If you do mess up/break/lose/eat the props I've got a spare contra but it's painted up and sat in spares box from years ago. Probably could do with a meshing to take the blade paint off and also a spare 5 blade unused.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I've got this one in the stash (I think I have 3 or 4 Seafires in the stash), so I'll just sit by the side here and watch if you don't mind...  

Was thinking mine would look good in landing config, with the pilot hanging out of the side of the cockpit, gear down, flaps down, hook down just supported above the deck...

Great to have you along sir. Ooh you have me thinking about the flaps now. I'm sure we could do something there. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Darby said:

Get cracking my good chap! It's a Seafire after all. If you do mess up/break/lose/eat the props I've got a spare contra but it's painted up and sat in spares box from years ago. Probably could do with a meshing to take the blade paint off and also a spare 5 blade unused.

Thanks Darby thanks for the prop offer, you're on stand by. :) hope you enjoy the build.:D

Note Spad,you have two sets of wings,one for a folder,one for a spread.

Not built the 47 meself,but I have done the 17 "like a bride's nighty"(it's on here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234918893-airfix-148th-seafire-xvii/#comment-1037981I did the wing(the 17/XVII kit also has two wings)by cutting the folded section from the,er,folded lower section,

the cut the requisite bit from the unfolded section(along convenient panel lines)and spliced the two together.

I then used the requisite folded upper root panel and folded outers to give me what I wanted.

My thinking was that if a folded outer panel was a pig of a fit,it'd save me a tricky filling job

• Like 1

Lots of stripes and cannons and whizzy props :pilot:  !

Ive got my usual Fruit Gums and for a change, a CurlyWurly.

:popcorn: 

Good luck with this one John,

ATB

TonyT

• Like 1

I would love to have linked to John Shuttleworth's song regarding the 'Bride's Nighty'.

Nevertheless after revisiting the lyrics, I heard the ghost of my late great aunt Flo's voice in my ear saying:

"It's too blue Tony, too blue" :o:D 

Nevertheless, perhaps in the spirit of the title of the thread, we could indulge in another of John's top songs?

Y not?

ATB

TonyT

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Miggers said:

Note Spad,you have two sets of wings,one for a folder,one for a spread.

Not built the 47 meself,but I have done the 17 "like a bride's nighty"(it's on here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234918893-airfix-148th-seafire-xvii/#comment-1037981I did the wing(the 17/XVII kit also has two wings)by cutting the folded section from the,er,folded lower section,

the cut the requisite bit from the unfolded section(along convenient panel lines)and spliced the two together.

I then used the requisite folded upper root panel and folded outers to give me what I wanted.

My thinking was that if a folded outer panel was a pig of a fit,it'd save me a tricky filling job

Thanks Mig for the info.  Hope you'll enjoy the build. My plan is to use the folded wing variant for the 47 as the 46 seems to have slightly different grooves? I'll not put the joining parts in one side and glue it on straight using strengthened to hold it in place. Fingers that way I'll have all the right panel lines in place. ... well that's the plan.:yahoo:

yours looks great by the way. I love the little diorama.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Hello John,

This has probably been covered, but the Seafire 46 had non- folding wings.

I guess that would lead to the difference in '46' and '47' kit scribing. So, you're doing it right :thumbsup2: 

ATB

TonyT

• Like 1

Tony  OToole did a one wing up build in Airfix Model World March 2013,  he left out the internal parts and added sprue spars for the unfolded wing,  though I would examine joining the inner/outer sections of the unfolded before assembly using some plastic card on the inside...

the leftover 46 wing can be used with a suitable fuselage to  make a Spit 21 ....

cheers

T

• Like 1

Hi John, Having just made one of these and put it on here I can say you have made a good choice. :thumbsup2:

A few words to the wise.......................... :smartass:

If you are doing it with the wings folded the method of joining is the weakest bit of the kit .................held together by the skin of it's teeth springs to mind :crosseyed:

The canopy is a bit thick and is a poor fit.

Troy's idea of using the 46 wings to make a 21 is spot on. ( been there...done that) The only conversion to my knowledge is the Aeroclub one which  nowadays is rarer than rare...................... :jealous:

It's a great kit but like most of the members on here...... showing it's age ;)

Dick

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to this,I built one for the Korean War GB a while ago,I don't know if the Wip would be any help to you.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959624-airfix-seafire-fr47-in-148th-scalefinished/

The spread wing is for the 46,it has different bulges and no wingfold joint line.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks Mig for the info.  Hope you'll enjoy the build. My plan is to use the folded wing variant for the 47 as the 46 seems to have slightly different grooves? I'll not put the joining parts in one side and glue it on straight using strengthened to hold it in place. Fingers that way I'll have all the right panel lines in place. ... well that's the plan.:yahoo:

yours looks great by the way. I love the little diorama.

That's the only thing y'see Spad,the 46 was basically a navalised Spit 22 with a Griffon 87 powering the big Rotol contraprop instead

of a Griffon 61/ 5 blader.

The Sea.47 was broadly based on the Spit 24(it's 24 volt electrics for starters)but had many detail changes along with a folding

version(powered too-first time on a Seafire)of Joe Smith's new wing.

I'd have a looksee how the outer panels are going to fit first I think before commiting to a fill n rescribe job

of the 46 wing,though there is very good info out there to help you do it.

Glad you liked the Sea.XVII,many thanks.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

Sorry about that last post, I think the reply function got all jammed up.

Anyhoo, Slight update from last night.

the pit parts got there pin marks filled and filed as did the nasty gate sink marks on the fuselage halves.:yahoo:Mr S and Ceds new micro mesh to the rescue.

C355E2AA-E56B-4B0A-97EF-C42235BA2F77_zpszmrueaza

It looks like I might need to hollow out the control column. :whip:

D7ED6B22-06EB-4B0F-BC8C-DC3B9D0B7095_zpsmsdgdbec

This got done with a nice new scalpel and my new little drill bit doubling up as a round file. Everything pit wise got a blast of primer, you can see the control column too right. :D

0B7B2ADC-6424-47D7-9864-B27F4E89326E_zpsxkg3awxr

I decided to add pads for the chair, milliput time. 

3A2C4374-D7D7-482E-B9FA-1B221F36A5E1_zpso7erpgzu

this dried over night and got cut into shape primed and dry fitted. That'll do. :lol:

984D625D-DC2F-4920-B29D-2025CDDC62D3_zpsrqnwa1kq

These are the decals for the IP as you can see they are a great fit.:doh:

886D14CE-A3F5-4C2E-BC7A-E7AC22FC7703_zpsooawtxin

I might cut out some of the dials and use them or just paint, not sure yet.

that's about where we are. I'm thinking of going mostly black with a little green in the pit area, following Tony Otools build in Airfix Magazine. Transition period so they say.:whistle:

thank you all for your interest it's much appreciated. Take care of yourselves and as always. Happy Modelling.

Johnny Seafire

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Tony  OToole did a one wing up build in Airfix Model World March 2013,  he left out the internal parts and added sprue spars for the unfolded wing,  though I would examine joining the inner/outer sections of the unfolded before assembly using some plastic card on the inside...

the leftover 46 wing can be used with a suitable fuselage to  make a Spit 21 ....

cheers

T

Yes I have this issue, it's well thumbed. :thumbsup: great info about the spares and thanks for tagging along. :yahoo:

John.

3 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

I'm looking forward to this,I built one for the Korean War GB a while ago,I don't know if the Wip would be any help to you.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959624-airfix-seafire-fr47-in-148th-scalefinished/

The spread wing is for the 46,it has different bulges and no wingfold joint line.

Thanks for the WIP I just read through, it's super useful thanks. Great finish on your bird. Bravo sir.

Johnny