Vallejo Model Air Colors changed?

jamesp15

I have noticed some changes to Vallejo's Model Air color lineups that bit me mid-project..  Some of the model air colors are now different from "before". 

I have looked at their color charts and they are listed in there, a color chart I had downloaded in April 2016 (titled: "Carta_ModelAir_rev03.pdf") shows for example showed color 71.049 as being "Medium Sea Grey / FS36231/RAL7005" while the updated color chart I downloaded last night (titled: "CC071-Rev18.pdf" which also shows the newer colors in their lineup) shows the same 71.049 as being "Sea Grey" with no FS/RAL.  That would be all well and good, except the actual color contained in the bottle has changed as well.  

If you are reordering colors be careful and check.   This has created a mess for me as I now dont know which of the 2 colors of 71.049 that I will get on a reorder and no local places stock Model Air (just Model and Game Colors).

Attached images show the differences at least on this color.  I scratched out the FS36231 markings as that color seems to be wrong, the paint is much too dark to be FS36231 IMO.  Hand written 2015 is part of my indexing system I purchased that bottle approx 2 weeks ago, while the lighter color one (on the left in the pictures) I had purchased sometime in the last 2 years prior

(Edit: I think I confused myself on this one, both bottles are less than 6 months old and I do not recall which is older though I think the darker one is older at this point as I have found I have a second bottle of it that is the same.  So 3 bottles total, 2 darker and 1 lighter.) 

IMG_7278cropped.jpg

IMG_7279cropped.jpg

IMG_7280cropped.jpg

Edited by jamesp15

The darker one of the two looks likes their version of Dark Sea Grey to me.  I think I have that at home... I have heard of Vallejo colours not being the same from bottle to bottle, but I never knew it was that bad!!

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Interested to hear Vallejo's respone if any.    I have found one other bottle pair that is different as well, 71.051, I have attached a picture.  2 older bottles labeled as "Barley Grey", new bottle as "Neutral Grey / FS36173" with the actual color changed in the bottle.

It does seem as if their official lineup has changed on some of their older colors when they added the newer colors in the last month or 2.  At least from looking at their official color charts.

I can post color charts I am looking at, if its not against any forum rules?  Or screenshots of them?  Both charts were downloaded direct from their site ~6 months apart now.

I have just seriously switched over to using mostly Vallejo's in the last 6 months time as my sister who lives with me currently has some medical issues and cannot take the smell of many other paints.  I am very happy with them otherwise, with some minor annoyances mostly due to OCD and their "naming" of some colors.  They spray very nicely and have very good coverage and stick (as long as the surface is primed first.)

IMG_7283cropped.jpg

21 minutes ago, charlie_c67 said:

The other possibility is that someone screwed up when labelling the bottles...

Yes I had wondered that as well. They had changed the names as well. All very strange.

Not had anything back from their customer care and so I will now send a reminder.

Laurie Vallejo.

Sent this to Vallejo Info Dept.

A couple of days ago i sent to you a message about Vallejo Air.

Some on the Forum I use have complained. They say that colours have changed and that also names have changed on the little yet the numbers are the same.

Could you confirm that colours have changed yet the number remains the same.

One member of the forum actually showed a picture of two bottles. Each noted 71.051. One was neutral Grey the other Barley Grey. Also he added a spot of colour from each bottle and they were different grays.

Look forward to your answer.

Laurie

On 29/09/2016 at 09:33, jamesp15 said:

Interested to hear Vallejo's respone if any.    I have found one other bottle pair that is different as well, 71.051, I have attached a picture.  2 older bottles labeled as "Barley Grey", new bottle as "Neutral Grey / FS36173" with the actual color changed in the bottle.

It does seem as if their official lineup has changed on some of their older colors when they added the newer colors in the last month or 2.  At least from looking at their official color charts.

I can post color charts I am looking at, if its not against any forum rules?  Or screenshots of them?  Both charts were downloaded direct from their site ~6 months apart now.

I have just seriously switched over to using mostly Vallejo's in the last 6 months time as my sister who lives with me currently has some medical issues and cannot take the smell of many other paints.  I am very happy with them otherwise, with some minor annoyances mostly due to OCD and their "naming" of some colors.  They spray very nicely and have very good coverage and stick (as long as the surface is primed first.)

IMG_7283cropped.jpg

OK James this is the first part. Second part on Monday. Like his comment on not working Sunday "yet".

Bit confusing but then only read it once.

James I have a 75% bottle of the old 49 Medium Sea Gray. You can have that if it is any help.

Laurie

Dear Laurie,

Vallejo Reply

We will soon include this info in our next Model Air colorchart and we will post this info in our FB page.

Regarding the color, we slightly modified this grey in order to have a better match to  FS 36173.Can you please inform the modeler who have a problem with this color to send us an email as I do not know in which forum this photo have been posted, can you please also resend this info so we can track when was this batch produced?

See below your first email, underlined in yellow Rev 03 refers to an old Model Air colorchart as we use to make one or 2 revisions per year when we add new colors, equivalences, Airbrush tips etc….

I have noticed some changes to Vallejo's Model Air color lineups that bit me mid-project.. Some of the model air colors are now different from "before".

I have looked at their color charts and they are listed in there, a color chart I had downloaded in April 2016 (titled : Carta Carta modelAir rev03.pdf  shows for example showed color 71.049 as being "Medium Sea Grey / FS36231/RAL7005" while the updated color chart I downloaded last night (titled: "CC071-Rev18.pdf" which also shows the newer colors in their lineup) shows the same 71.049 as being "Sea Grey" with no FS/RAL. That would be all well and good, except the actual color contained in the bottle has changed as well

I will be back to you Monday(we do not work Sundays yet…)

Thanks

Thank you for the kind offer, but I was able to finish the project. (ordered 3 bottles along with some other supplies, and got 3 of the older bottles)

Confusing reply for sure, what address should I email them at?  The change is already in their color chart, but who looks at color charts before every reorder?

Would think that before or when they revised the colors there would be some announcement somewhere.  To me it seems like a bad idea to change a color and keep the old color number, bound to lead to confusion as long as the old stock is still in circulation.   Changing color name is one thing, but changing the actual color is the bad part.

2 hours ago, jamesp15 said:

Thank you for the kind offer, but I was able to finish the project. (ordered 3 bottles along with some other supplies, and got 3 of the older bottles)

Confusing reply for sure, what address should I email them at?  The change is already in their color chart, but who looks at color charts before every reorder?

Would think that before or when they revised the colors there would be some announcement somewhere.  To me it seems like a bad idea to change a color and keep the old color number, bound to lead to confusion as long as the old stock is still in circulation.   Changing color name is one thing, but changing the actual color is the bad part.

Agree with all you say. Does seem they have announced it somewhere. Any way let us ses what they come up with on Monday.  To be fair they do at least seem willing to give answers which is more than some.

Laurie

A lot of people have said that certain Vallejo colours (various RAF springs to mind) have been to dark, so it doesn't surprise me that they have changed a number of them a little, they were loosing customers !

They released a number of new aircraft sets recently with a additional  model air colors. Variousu RAF,  Luftwaffe and american colours. ( nos 244 to 330). These will be available as single bottles shortly.

Paul