Saab J-35OE Draken - Eduard 1/48

Oriskany

Thanks guys!

@Annti: thanks a lot for your precious and interesting informations about flaperons and finnish Draken. I'm trying to built an austrian one, but your suggestions will be usefull for another Draken and a finnish plane is in my mind ..a tribute for your beautiful country(i was been in holiday in Jyväskylä during 1000 Lakes Rally some years ago;))

Edited by Oriskany

On 04/10/2016 at 03:35, Antti_K said:

For a Finnish Draken you can use Humbrol paints 78, 86 and 88 together with RLM 02 for cockpit interior. Almost every panel was different shade of green. I've seen landing gear components that were painted with a green (RLM 02) and with underside blue-grey. I have never seen white landing gear parts in Finnish Drakens.

You are making very nice progress with the kit!

Best Regards,

Antti

Here is a picture of a Finnish 35S Draken with, if not white, so definitely not green landing gear parts. The colour is a very light grey.

dk-215_23.jpg

Nose gear: Also note that Finnish 35S had the Danish-style nosewheel without spokes.

dk-215_26.jpg

I would not recommend RLM 02 for neither the Austrian landing gears, nor the cockpit. The colour is much greener than that. Here is a  Austrian Draken: 

IMG_0714_Right_undercarriage.jpg

Swedish ones had a darker green colour: (to see the difference, compare the landing gear lights on these two pictures, they had the same colour.)

saab_j-35_21_of_65.jpg

It is correct that the cockpit in Swedish Finnish and Danish Drakens had a variety of green colours. However RLM 02 is not the best match. The walls have the same colours, but the instrument panels have different kinds of green:

Swedish:

Danish:

mar4.jpg

Finnish:

The Austrians cockpits were grey and a little black. Note that there are different shades of grey on the instrument panel compared to the rest of the cockpit. Inside of canopy is black while SE/DK/FI Draken canopy insides had the same grass-green as on the cockpit tub walls.

• Like 8

Many thanks Bjorn for your informations and very usefull pics!

Now i'm working on my IP, i'll post a image soon as possible.

I started also to work on the wing control surfaces, i decided to try to cut the original parts to make both flaps dropped:)

• Like 1

Hi guys

a small update of my project and the first real problem...

I glued the tail and  the two PE strips inside of engine bay

DSCN2292.jpg

I decided to do the dropped flaps from myself, so i cutted the kit parts from the two fuselage halves and from the wings, the result is far from perfection but no bad

DSCN2284.jpg

DSCN2285.jpg

I closed the fuselage and glued the tail, but here there is a problem..

The junction between rear fuselage and tail is concave, i hope you can see the defect from the pics, i added red lines to explain better

DSCN2293.jpg

DSCN2295.jpg

So i'm trying to resolve with adding two thin plasticard stripes and a lot of sanding work...

I don't know if this method works, but i think is the best way to have a perfectly straight fuselage and good surface to re-engrave the panel lines

• Like 1

Of course I should have mentioned this earlier... But hopefully you will build more Hasegawa Drakens. There is a way to get a better fit for the tail. Glue it to the upper part of the fuselage before gluing the upper and lower fuselage parts together. In some strange way (I do not really know why), this gives a much better fit.

I have built six of these, and tried this on my most recent Draken build with a great result - the only sanding required was on the small part beside the ailerons - there are traces of sanding on the model, but this is due to the opening of the air brakes).

21588893958_8a5b9bc59d_c.jpg

Of course the concave feeling remains - but this is actually correct. On the real thing the fuselage is not perfectly straight. This is best shown on gloss-painted Drakens like this:

e679dddf78dcf01554fd5711632d847b.jpg

And instead of waiting with my advices, here is another one: The fit of the gun parts are pretty bad, and requires sanding and filling. The air intakes as - as you surely have seen - not open, but an easy way to achieve a better feeling is simply to cut the "wall", the intakes are so small that few will notice that the air intake channel is too short. Another way to hide this is to use FOD covers - however, remember that Austrian Drakens had soft covers, see below, not the hard covers used by early Swedish/Finnish/Danish Drakens. On this picture, you also can see the black colour inside of the canopy.

20140621_472.JPG

And finally - which you surely have noticed - do not forget the "ribs" inside the front windshield:

_Cockpit_Saab_Draken_B1.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 3

I guess the strange shape of the tail cone is due to the fact that the Draken was first designed with a shorter after burner. it was later upgraded with a longer one, therefore requiring a "bolt on" tail cone. The twin seat version, the Sk 35, retained the short tail through out its service. I included a few photos for comparison.

_DSC5069.jpg

_DSC5141.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks again Bjorn, Jens and Erik for your suggestions and precious pics!

i knew i couldn't explain well the problem.

Like you said, the real Draken has different shape between the end of fuselage and tail cone. This
 is correct in the kit, but when i glued the tail (sadly before Bjorn's suggestion), its diameter was bigger than fuselage diameter, so i had a concave shape in both direction from the junction line

In any case, i'm working on this point and i'll show you soon the result.

@Bjorn: i glued the cannon fairings and, as you said, there are some fitting problems; i'm working here also:)

I usually widen the gun cover parts from the inside with a rounded tool. The helps a lot on the fit.

The intake parts are another bad fit area, but here it helps to remove the location tabs on the inside.

Jens

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys

after some time i can show you some small progress on my Draken.

I finished the tail with new panel lines and i checked the fitting of the two fuselage interior structure PE parts

DSCN2306%20Custom.jpg

DSCN2307%20Custom.jpg

DSCN2310%20Custom.jpg

I completed also adding of the cannon fairings and air intakes (thanks Jens for suggestion :) ), i needed some filling work here

DSCN2308%20Custom.jpg

DSCN2309%20Custom.jpg

Next steps will be work on dropped flaps and some details on undercarriage bays

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Thanks  guys

The work goes slowly because I have some problems with the flaps, I can not fix them in place, I sanded too much the edge .... and Aires dropped flaps are undersized, so I have to work here.

But I hope to resolve problems and go forward with the build ;)

Edited by Oriskany