Crusader AA Mk.lll.

Thanks again for the comments. The Italeri kit is a bit long in the tooth, though generally accurate, but we could do with a new, more up to date kit from the likes of Meng or Tamiya. The Accurate Armour conversion is quite good, but I changed the Oerlikons for ones from RB Models...much better.

You've done a great job with this one I have the Italeri Crusader III AA MK.3 kit to finish off  at some point. I've also got some replacement RB Models barrels as they are so much better than the kit plastic ones and might have pick up some Fruils for mine after seeing yours.

I have a quick question I wasn't sure if to paint the top of the inside of the turret white or the same colour as the outside because it was open topped but see you've painted yours white and was wondering if you had any references for this?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

3 hours ago, sinhow said:

Great details, very nice weathering and the stowage added life to the tank.

2 hours ago, FZ6 said:

You've done a great job with this one I have the Italeri Crusader III AA MK.3 kit to finish off  at some point. I've also got some replacement RB Models barrels as they are so much better than the kit plastic ones and might have pick up some Fruils for mine after seeing yours.

I have a quick question I wasn't sure if to paint the top of the inside of the turret white or the same colour as the outside because it was open topped but see you've painted yours white and was wondering if you had any references for this?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Thanks for all the comments.

With regards to the colour of the turret interior, I'm still not sure. I couldn't find any conclusive photos to prove one or another. Photos of the Samur example show the sight frame in the exterior colour (but this is a museum example). Jay Laverty did an article in Military Modelling on building the Italeri kit of the AA Crusader a few years ago, and he painted his interior white. In the article he stated that he'd got a lot of his info from the military historian Peter Brown, so that's why I chose to finish it white, but that's not to say that it's correct. 

• Like 1

I've been doing some sniffing around on ML with regards to the colour of the interior of the Crusader AA and found a couple of references from well known military historians Dick Taylor and Mike Starmer, and they both came down on the side of white or the 20mm armed Crusaders.

John.