Airfix 1:48 Bedford MWD

Paul A H

This is my attempt at Airfix's 1:48 scale Bedford MWD truck. It has been finished with a custom mix of Tamiya acrylics  and weathered with Mig powders and washes. Keen eyed modellers will notice that I lost the offside wing mounted headlamp, so I'll need to drape something across the wing to disguise that at some point. I had wanted to add a figure or two and some items of stowage for visual interest, but the build stalled for so long (I can't remember when I started it, but it was probably around January) that I just wanted to finish it. I will almost certainly revisit it to add some extra detail as I plan on using it in a diorama at some point, possibly with Tamiya's Dingo, which is also sitting half finished, awaiting my attention.

I hope this adds to the already rich array of 1:48 scale AFVs on display here on Britmodeller. I'm consistently impressed and surprised at just how many of us there are building and displaying some of the fabulous models available in this scale. Long may it continue :)

bedfordmwd_01.jpg

bedfordmwd_02.jpg

bedfordmwd_03.jpg

bedfordmwd_04.jpg

bedfordmwd_05.jpg

• Like 26

Superb build of a wonderful model.  You did a great job on it and the finish is super.  Airfix have a real winner on their hands with this one.  I hope they bring out more trucks and other vehicles in 1/48 scale. This and a Dingo will make a fine pair and provide for some interesting diorama possibilities.  Your photographs are top notch too.  Thanks for sharing.

Dan

• 6 months later...

...only just found this - very nice job - those headlights are very tricky little beggars - so tiny...

Thanks for sharing - a grand job :clap2:

You have done an excellent job on your Bedford Paul.

I've just completed this kit as well and was surprised how good it is, every bit as good as Tamiya's vehicles, and they have engines. I normally do aircraft, but I got Airfix's 'Ready for battle' set to use in a future diorama. At £20.90 (Amazon) the set is exceptionally good value, as it includes:

Albion AM463 3-Point Fueller

Bedford MWD

a load of ground crew figures

an Oil Bowser

Trolley Accumulator

Ammunition Trolley

Oh, I nearly forgot, there is a Hawker Hurricane thrown in as well.

All in lovely 1/48. I highly recommend it.

On 4/2/2017 at 11:33 PM, Paul A H said:

Thanks chaps :) I'd love to see Airfix do some more 1:48 vehicles. Perhaps a Matador with options for both RAF and Army versions?

Couldn't agree more.  Congratulations on a really fine model there.

Rob