Latest issue of SAM

Simon Cornes

I received my copy on Friday and started reading it today. I generally approve of the magazine - I can find things to grumble about but nothing's perfect so I won't but I had to comment on the review of the Tarangus Bulldog. Great job by Carl Robinson but what a pity he missed the canopy centreline frame, especially as its smack bang in the middle of the front cover! I assume therefore there is no canopy release mechanism to fit on the inside then but to one who has committed aviation in the things its a large white omission - perhaps I'm being harsh but at least its easy to fix!!

Simon

Just started to read my copy and am happy to say that SAM, in my opinion, has started to move back to becoming a bit like the SAM of old :thumbsup:

However, can I just say that having a picture that is about 2 inches square (that's approximately 50mm for our metric cousins :) ) is bloody useless, particularly when the accompanying text says something along the lines of "note the detail added/painted/removed in the picture above/below" and is even more annoying if the picture has been cropped and the detail indicated, is not included!

I can't say that this has happened with this copy of SAM, as I've only just started to read the Bulldog feature nor am I saying that only SAM do this, as SAMI and MAI are equally as guilty, it's just a pet hate I have, with the printed press.

sorry, just had to get that of my chest (again)... :lol:

Edited by Tony C
  • Like 3

I was more offended by the ambiguity as to the scale of the kit 1/48 or 1/32 ?

Incorrect picture for the Windsock book review & the "enhanced" girl in the bath is interesting for a magazine 

for those of us with an interest in plastic models!

However I do appreciate it is a difficult job to produce an error free publication in the digital age

On 25/09/2016 at 22:30, Simon Cornes said:

I I assume therefore there is no canopy release mechanism to fit on the inside then but to one who has committed aviation in the things its a large white omission - perhaps I'm being harsh but at least its easy to fix!!

Not to mention the bloody great yellow and black striped canopy jettison lever!

• Like 1

I would have loved to see a bigger picture of the Martin Baker Meteor 7½ model rather than the tiny 2" square picture. Unfortunately with a printed magazine you can't click on the picture to get an enlargement!

I haven't got as far as the Meteor article - the word count has certainly gone up since Mr Hatcher took over and that, in my opinion, is a good thing. As far as getting a copy is concerned, mine's on subscription and the postie is pretty good!

Simon

On 26/09/2016 at 0:00 AM, Tony C said:

Just started to read my copy and am happy to say that SAM, in my opinion, has started to move back to becoming a bit like the SAM of old :thumbsup:

However, can I just say that having a picture that is about 2 inches square (that's approximately 50mm for our metric cousins :) ) is bloody useless, particularly when the accompanying text says something along the lines of "note the detail added/painted/removed in the picture above/below" and is even more annoying if the picture has been cropped and the detail indicated, is not included!

I can't say that this has happened with this copy of SAM, as I've only just started to read the Bulldog feature nor am I saying that only SAM do this, as SAMI and MAI are equally as guilty, it's just a pet hate I have, with the printed press.

sorry, just had to get that of my chest (again)... :lol:

Well said.

Does the editor ever read the final copy before sending for printing? I would have thought that personal pride in the publication quality would come into this somewhere, but obviously not. SAMI is just as bad.

From what I have seen, European magazines are far better at this kind of thing. Perhaps SAM and SAMI should take note.

Whilst having a moan, the standard of the english in SAMI is dreadful too

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 2

On 28 September 2016 at 6:41 PM, roys said:

Incorrect picture for the Windsock book review & the "enhanced" girl in the bath is interesting for a magazine 

However I do appreciate it is a difficult job to produce an error free publication in the digital age

It should be easier in the digital age as you have spell checks, can see it on the screen in front of you and don't have to read it backwards in mirror image!!!!! 

No excuses, it is just sloppy workmanship.

and yes, I am a subscriber to both major UK magazines and have been from the start.

• Like 4

On 28/09/2016 at 6:41 PM, roys said:

Browsing in Smith's I noticed the "enhanced" girl in the bath in most of the other magazines!

• Like 1

I have no issues with "non-aircraft" appearing in model aviation magazines. After all, ships, vehicles, figures etc all have a part to play in modelling the aviation scene. Indeed, I would like to see a bit more "real space" related articles in these magazines as in the "real world", the "aviation" industry has long since morphed into the "aerospace" industry. Even if a requirement for "wings" was insisted on, that could still include  Space Shuttle, Buran X-15, Virgin Galactic etc.

• Like 2

From my layman's perspective it's the quality article's I buy a magazine for.

Does seem to be a lot in it so fewer reviews would be ok for me if it reduced the errors, but I suppose it's supporting the trade?

7 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I have no issues with "non-aircraft" appearing in model aviation magazines. After all, ships, vehicles, figures etc all have a part to play in modelling the aviation scene. Indeed, I would like to see a bit more "real space" related articles in these magazines as in the "real world", the "aviation" industry has long since morphed into the "aerospace" industry. Even if a requirement for "wings" was insisted on, that could still include  Space Shuttle, Buran X-15, Virgin Galactic etc.

Something in the names of the magazines gives it away though, surely? Why not have a ship modelling magazine and put those articles in it?

Andy

Why be so constrained though? Most of us who like aircraft like "aviation" often like more general "aerospace" related matter too. If we are completely limited to aircraft only (even if it's in the magazine title) then you are boxing yourself into a corner. The world of aviation and aerospace is bigger than just aeroplanes, helicopters and balloons.  

I was delighted to see a review of the Horizon Mercury/Atlas kit. in SAM this month. It's not an aeroplane but it is most definitely "aerospace". The rocket was built by Convair and the capsule by McDonnell.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 3

given up buying modelling mags

got a bit fed up with "the cockpit sidewalls were enhanced with added detail" ...ok, but what details? etc etc

Not that I'm tarring all articles with the same brush, but I found that I was gleaning less and less per mag.

Also bought them for industry news and to about any new releases' which can now pretty much be found online.

On the plus side saving myself about 30 squids a month.

just my pennies worth 

• Like 2

On 28/09/2016 at 6:41 PM, roys said:

How can it be any harder than a traditionally produced mag, all they have to do is read it, bl+++y lackadaisical if you ask me.

20 hours ago, sinnerboy said:

got a bit fed up with "the cockpit sidewalls were enhanced with added detail" ...ok, but what details? etc etc

Classic case of this in one of this month's magazines (Tamiya Model Magazine?).  Cover offers an article on building a HMS King George V/Prince of Wales kit as one of their later sisters (Howe?).  My interest is grabbed as I look forward to a well-researched detailed explanation, preferably with scale drawings, of the differences between the ships.  Not a bit of it.  One sentence along the lines of "I made the necessary changes to the directors" and several paras on how he did the seascape.   Are model magazines or magazine articles subject to the Trades Descriptions Act?  Excuse the vagueness in places: as you may have deduced, the magazine stayed on the shelf.  I have the same peeve with AFV conversion articles without templates or scale drawings.

Memo to magazine editors: I pay money to learn things I didn't know before, preferably from people who know what they are talking or at least have researched the subject, not to be advised, having shelled out my £4.50, thet I'll need to do my own research.

• Like 10

On 10/3/2016 at 11:26 AM, sinnerboy said:

given up buying modelling mags

Actually, I've pretty much done the same, but for an entirely different reason. I am a single-scale builder (1:72) and really have no interest in anything from any other scale. The modelling industry has branched out into so many different scales that I'm finding that most magazines, in a not-unreasonable effort to appeal to the largest audience possible, just doesn't produce much of interest to the 1:72 guy anymore. A couple of reviews, maybe one feature build. If the mag goes into detail about actual aircraft rather than models per se, I'll usually read it. But given the price, and the content, I'm definitely feeling a lack of return on investment. It would seem that my modelling dollars would be better spent on, well, models. I can usually find comparable information and reviews via a few minutes on Google. 

I agree with Seahawk and Kevin above.  I'd given up all regular subscriptions (apart from IPMS UK which comes with the membership) but have recently found myself buying SAM every issue.  Partly due to the regular Paul Lucas column but also because the general ethos of the magazine is closer to its older days than the "Here's a pretty set of pictures.  Who needs more?" approach of the others.

• Like 5

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:46 AM, Eric Mc said:

I was delighted to see a review of the Horizon Mercury/Atlas kit. in SAM this month. It's not an aeroplane but it is most definitely "aerospace". The rocket was built by Convair and the capsule by McDonnell.

Which edition has the review of the Horizon Models Mercury-Atlas ?