Mark I 1/144 Gloster Gladiator - restored links

Patrik

With my Vildebeest project nearing completion I decided to allow myself a (literally) tiny distraction in the form of this little gem that I found yesterday on Mark I stand on eday in Prague, immediately fell in love with and started building the same evening. I am going to build this kit completely OOB - if possible.

P9240008.jpg

The plastic parts look really fine and the test fit of the main parts is surprisingly good. There is one transparent part (obviously the canopy) and one resin part - the Watts two blade prop - which is in fact also the only part of the kit that did not turn out very well, with heavy resin block attached to one of the fine blades and a bubble=notch on the top of the other one in my case. Additionally it is moulded with the propeller boss in place, which must be removed for K7957. None of the issues is critical, but does not fall under OOB category that much.

Below the assembled cockpit parts before painting with a Humbrol can in the background giving you opportunity to estimate the real size of the thing.

P9250006.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit fitted and painted. No fit issues so far, only very minor sanding of the instrument panel and the bulkhead behind the seat was needed to join the fuselage halves correctly. The instrument panel is represented by decal - just fine for this scale in my opinion. I decided not to add the seat belts as the cockpit content will be hardly discernible with the canopy on.

I forgot to mention last time that the kit is practically flawless as regards flash or mould seams.

PA080001.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 3

The latest model of biplane jig in action.

The fuselage went together quite well, just very small amount of filler was used. The wings have no locating pins, but given their size and weight, I do not suppose this is an issue to worry about.

PA150008.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 2

Could not resist and added the three cowling struts and the guard behind the pilot's seat. No surprises so far. The pencil is there to remind all of us what size we are dealing with.

P1010002.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 4

I

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Looks good! What are you planning to rig this build with?

Martian

I was thinking about spider thread. Alas, all spiders I tried to convince for cooperation exhibited clear tendency for misinterpreting the rigging diagram.;)

I am not being serious, I apologize. Given the fact I do not rig my 1/72 biplanes (yes, I know that many of you will regard this statement as sacrilegious), I do not plan rigging the Gladiator either, I am sorry.

Patrik

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had to replace the plastic exhaust pipes with copper wire. The original parts were of quite complicated but wrong shape and could not have been fitted into the available space between the undercarriage legs anyway - at least I did not find a way to achieve it. Please take into account the actual diameter of the cowling is 9 mm.

PA250005.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is not the destiny to build a kit just so OOB. I replaced all the plastic struts with wire, because:

A. The plastic struts were too massive to my liking

B. I was unable to achieve realistic incidence angle and stagger of the upper wing with them. OK, I have to confess, I did not try that hard, and grabbed the wire after first failed attempt. But working with the wire was in the end much easier anyway.

The Humbrol can is just a "size reminder", as the magnified photos can be confusing.

PB090018.jpg

It would be probably great pity not to publish this picture (actually preceding the one above).

PB080010.jpg

Masking of the canopy was not a task I would be willing to repeat in near future, And yes, the canopy is mounted on the top of a toothpick.

PB100030.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 2

Nice! Thank you for restoring the links. I came across this build when I was just beginning my Mark1 Gladiator earlier this year so I tried to dodge the malnourished look by shortening the undercarriage legs and made a stab at correcting the cowling. Nothing I could do to the canopy, although I have to say I wouldn’t have noticed that issue until you highlighted it. 

IMG_5001-M.jpg

Great work and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the kit - no end of help for me. 

• Like 2

Great small Gladiator. Looks far more Gladiatorish than the one mine. But I am really happy my work on restoring the threads has not come to nought.

Patrik