DH Heron BEA red square

neillbill

Well Ok not to worry just had a fatal accident to the build, the instructions suggest a hole up the forward fuselage to add weight, so I got the main airframe bits assembled, drilled a 5mm hole all the way up to the wings, filled it with lead shot, tail sitter..open up to 6mm same, 7mm same, in the process of drilling the hole out to 8mm the drill broke through the fuselage wall horrible mess. Off to build something else.

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:55 PM, billneill said:

Well Ok not to worry just had a fatal accident to the build, the instructions suggest a hole up the forward fuselage to add weight, so I got the main airframe bits assembled, drilled a 5mm hole all the way up to the wings, filled it with lead shot, tail sitter..open up to 6mm same, 7mm same, in the process of drilling the hole out to 8mm the drill broke through the fuselage wall horrible mess. Off to build something else.

That's not good but not surprised, 8mm drill, the bite, its too big. Let me guess, the piece tried to travel up the drill flutes and spin, or shattered. 1mm bigger than the previous 7mm the cutting part of the drill, both sides  only 0.5 mm  in contact (Land end) isn't really going to cut a hole and just tear/rip/pull it through and you with it. Better to use a Tapered straight flute reamer or easier to find round file a little under the hole size and turning so it "screws" its way in rather than a push/pull.

Bad luck though !

• Like 1

The Airfix Heron is a dreadful tail-sitter. I recall having to fill the forward fuselage with lead weights and plasticine. Shame, as if you get to build another Heron, I can help with the red wing painting for a BEA machine.

Well all may not be completely lost, I found all the bits, wings are broken off and in two pieces each and the fuselage is broken through at the bottom but I got all the bits and milliput and superglue. Going to try stuffing the big hole down the fuselage with milliput and drilling it 6mm as far back as I dare. Then I can dremel out the front fuselage somewhat and I got some bar solder which looks like a good bet for weight.

Might yet get built, but not this week

Bill

You're a brave man Bill, braver than me just to begin this & way braver carrying on after your disaster, :thumbsup:

Fwiw, I reckon the best way to put weight into a model is with lead shotgun pellets, if you know of anyone that shoots at a clay bird club or similar, ask them if they can get you a cup of shot pellets, enough for heaps of models, & mix up with some white glue before putting into place, they fill every corner better than bar & sheet lead imho.

Steve.

You cant frighten me I built a Merlin TSR2. The resin is quite hard and brittle so at least the breaks are clean and no deformation of parts. I did a quick jigsaw puzzle no glue and it looks fixable. No surface detail on the lit to worry about anyway.

Bill