1/48 Eduard SDB-5 Dauntless

Calum

Next project, something quick and easy for the WW II category in next years comp. Plus I want the bench clear for the Tamiya Tomcat when it arrives

Decided to go with the Eduard (Accurate Miniatures) SBD-5 Dauntless. I'm not sure what decal option I'll do but it'll obviously be a RNZAF one.

dauntless-01.jpg

Lots of PE in this box. Most of it was reasonably easy to apply even though it was a small

dauntless-02.jpg

I've used this as an exercise to improve my PE skils. This was quite successful

dauntless-03.jpg

• Like 17

Hi Calum,

That is a great looking cockpit and gunners position the PE really makes the difference and of coarse great painting and weathering skills.

Guy

The way the lower wing fitted onto the fuselage confused the crap out of me. It was only when I'd carved of some bits did I realise what I had done wrong... and it was kinda obvious, but nNeither Eduard's or the original Accurate Miniatures instructions were really helpful.

Once I got the lower wing piece on I attached the upper wings. Everything seemed ok at this point. But when I went to attach the forward fuselage I noticed that somehow the left wing was about 1.5mm forward of the right wing (they weren't perpendicular to the fuselage). I've got no idea how I managed this :oops:   another AE

I've got a gap on one side and nice join on the other, and the forward fuselage piece appears to be slightly larger in diameter than the fuselage.  

I also replaced the kit guns with some brass tube.

dauntless-08.jpg

dauntless-09.jpg

After a couple of application of Magi Sculpt I'd filled the line and re-scribed a thinner one.  Not entirely happy with it but it'll do.

I then painted the engine and added the pushrod/ignition lead assembly . I really like that Acc Min did the ignition leads, I wish other manufacturers did this on radial engines .

dauntless-10.jpg

dauntless-11.jpg 

Edited by Calum

9 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

errors noted, I think I might put myself down to judge this category:P  Have you thought of putting a wash over those seat belts Calum?  they look a little bright

I've tried some pigments to tone them down but I might try a wash as well. Az for you judging , I hope you a better job than last year. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Primed with Mr Surfacer 1500.

dauntless-12.jpg

dauntless-13.jpg

Paints on . For the gloss sea blue blue I used Tamiya AS5 decanted and sprayed through the airbrush. I like shade  of "blue" this gives and it seems , to my eye, to better represent Gloss Sea blue in scale. The other Sea Blues are , IMHO, far to dark in this is scale. They look nearly black to my eye.

The Intermediate blue is from the Mr Color USN Lacquer set, it's no C#366). IMHO this is much better than the normal (#C72) which looks to bright and to blue for me.  

I started with the dark blue and then free-handed the intermediate blue using my airbrush. I've since realised  the demarcations on the nose cowl aren't quite right for the aircraft I'm doing but I don't feel like fixing it. :)

dauntless-14.jpg

dauntless-15.jpg

The 'white" is actually Semi Gloss Grey FS-36622. (Gunze C311). I don't like white for such large areas as it looks to stark .

dauntless-16.jpg

• Like 3

Decals on. These are from the old (and rare) Aeromaster sheets RNZAF in Pacific. Aeromaster really nailed the RNZAF Blue for the roundel IMO. The only disadvantage with these decals is that they are quite thick. 

Eduards blue was just a little to blue for my taste, which was a pity as their decals were Cartograf. I used these for stencils which went down really well.

dauntless-20.jpg

dauntless-21.jpg

dauntless-23.jpg

I had to cut the decal along the slots in the upper and lower wings as there was no way the decal will conform to that. I then made a quick mask and painted the slot with Tamiya gloss blue. Decals were sealed with some gloss lacquer.

dauntless-22.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 4