Tamiya Honda RC213V 2014

oooh this is interesting. Have you got the fork upgrade set?  Going to follow as I've got this in stash.  But all those decals on the bike seem rather intimidating !  Good luck !

BillyD

yeah, I wwnt with the fork upgrade. If nothing else, at least I don't have to mix the right shade of metallic orange...

biggest issues so far are paint runs naving painted the fairings white, and trying to get even coverage spraying the wheels orange.

Not looking forward to trying to complete the bodywork painting

• Like 1

Nice start mate, for the wheels, put them on a garden Bbq stick, then whilst spraying with an aerosol or airbrush gentle spin the wheel, you'll get an even coverage of paint that way.

I've just completed the bare bike on my build, I'm trying to put of all the panel work as long as possibly. I sent away to Tamiya for a spare set of decals just in case I muck some up.

Edited by Flipper

On 25/09/2016 at 11:04 PM, Luke Piewalker said:

I have the tamiya weathering sets for exhausts and having looked at pictures of the real thing the blueing and discolouration is very noticable so I thought I would give it a bash.

Didn't know Tamiya did a weathering set for exhausts - that's interesting ... are they readily available ?

BillyD

30050321055_69b5ecd39e_z.jpg

29936445092_f571423213_c.jpg

29756067660_aa57e4da9e_c.jpg

Attacked the exhausts with more blue, prototypically the bluing is more intense around the welds on the real ones, but such an effect is beyond my skills so I thought I would just make them stand out.

Gave the radiator a but of a wash with tamiya smoke on the radiator elements to give it a bit of contrast as it was all a bit samey and shiny.

Had a bash at picking out the Brembo branding in red on the front calipers, basically painted it red the rubbed it off to leave the writing. 

3 hours ago, Luke Piewalker said:

I seem to have used an entire can of orange, and only painted the wheels and petrol tank... badly...

Haha...I've found stripping paint off and painting twice doesn't help! 60ml of Zero base coat just about gone!!!

Your model does look splendid though! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great mate, lovely progress so far.

I found the orange paint really thin, it took a full bottle to paint my bike.

I would try the Zero Paints again, I found that it doesn't like it if you lay it on heavy. I found this out to my cost, eventually on my second tank cover I found that you have to do very light coats let it dry, and so on, it took ages to do each panel.

Also I bought one of those Badger Paint Stirrers. Prior to using this I found that the Orange and Red paint would spit very easily from the airbrush, (obviously me shaking it like a mad man for 5 mins wasn't enough) but after using the stirrer it didn't do it, and it sprayed much easier. It's probably the hardest paint I've have painted with so far.

Edited by Flipper

30818357705_4d3a850aa3_z.jpgNearly... by Luke Piewalker, on Flickr

30517934190_2da3b7a42b_z.jpgEven nearlier by Luke Piewalker, on Flickr

30730853771_0332fa7b6d_z.jpgNearlyyyyy by Luke Piewalker, on Flickr

Here's the state of play at the moment. Got the decals on and the bodywork together. Had to do a bit of touching up with paint where the black stripes on the side didn't quite meet. You can clearly see the difference in the Orange between the two halves of the tank.

Just need to get the wheels (see below) which are currently sitting in a cup of IPA sorted out

30317207592_a41e8dd406_k.jpg2016-10-19_08-25-08 by Luke Piewalker, on Flickr