1/72 F-4E pylons and Triple Ejection Racks (TER)

Raven Morpheus

Hey all

I'm getting a 1/72 Fujimi F-4E (the Shark Teeth boxing) but I note from online sources of the instructions and sprues that it doesn't come with Triple Ejection Racks (TERS) and doesn't come with any Mk 82 bombs.  I've seen a few pictures of USAF F-4E's with 6 Mk82 in the centreline position and also on the wing pylons (a grand total of 12 as well as 2x droptanks, 4x Sparrows and 4x Sidewinders!).  Also the kit comes with a centreline tank, and it doesn't look like it has the pylons for fitting centreline Mk 82 bombs.

To add the Mk 82 bombs I can get Eduard's weapons set, but does anyone know where/if I can get the correct pylons/TERs in 1/72 for a Vietnam era F-4E?

TIA

Edited by Raven Morpheus

Ah cool.  Thanks.

It looks like this set has what I would need, including the Mk82's - http://www.hasegawausa.com/product-pages/hsgs1871.html

In which case I wouldn't need the Eduard set.

Further inspection of the kit parts and instructions here seems to indicate that there are empty pylons in the kit in case you don't want to attach the drop tanks, so I should be OK for the centre pylon, assuming it fits I'll just put the Hasagawa weapons kit MER on that.  It also looks like I can just attach the TERs to the bottom of the wing pylons below where the kit's Sidewinders go.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

Jari the pylons on the USN & USAF Phantoms in your picture are the same. The USAF one has a large bomb mated direct to the pylon where the USN one has an adaptor rail fitted to which the TER is fitted. Its hard to see as it looks like it has been painted over in the museum example.

Julien

15 minutes ago, Julien said:

Jari the pylons on the USN & USAF Phantoms in your picture are the same. The USAF one has a large bomb mated direct to the pylon where the USN one has an adaptor rail fitted to which the TER is fitted. 

The inboards work the same way for USAF vs USN - no adapter on the USAF pylons: 

m117mk82.jpg

HTH,

Andre 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, that's really helpful.

I probably won't be using the spare wing pylons as I'll be using the drop tanks on the outer pylons, and the bomb TERs will go on the inner pylons which already house the Sidewinders.  The only extra pylon I'll probably use is the one for the centreline pylon, just to differentiate the loadout from my 1/72 USN F-4J.

Been wanting to build a USAF F-4 since I built my 1/72 Academy USN F-4J.  If only Academy would hurry up and confirm and release their rumoured F-4C/D/E in 1/72.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

The Bullpup was one of the first PGMs for use against pin point targets like in this video a road:

the Mk-82s would then be used to clean up the target after, hopefully, being hit by the Bullpups.

Jari

On 25/9/2016 at 8:11 PM, Finn said:

If you want something different for your F-4E how about some Bullpups and Mk-82s on the c/l MER:

DSC02939a.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

Jari

The aircraft in your photos is from 34 TFS, 388 TFW at Korat RTAFB.

Here are a couple more:

F-4E_AGM-12C_01.jpg

F-4E_AGM-12C_02.jpg

And one from 469 TFS, the well known Betty Lou (JV, 67-0308)

F-4E_AGM-12C_03.jpg

Note that the Bullpups are the heavy hitting AGM-12C version...:whistle:

Edited by Panoz
Forgot to post a photo.

Thanks for all the info and pics guys.

Apologies though, I'll have to knock this build idea on the head for the meantime as the deal for the Fujimi kit fell through.  The only other kit worth getting I could find is a Hasegawa F-4E but by the time I buy Vietnam era decals (it's the 5000th Phantom boxing so would need other decals) and 2 hasegawa weapons sets to load the plane up I'm looking at £60, I just can't afford or justify spending that much.

I'm going to wait and see what happens with Academy, I saw on Scalemates.com 2 Academy kits listed for 1/72 USAF Phantoms, a C and an E, slated for release this year, presumably someone at Scalemates.com has heard a rumour, hopefully it'll come to fruition...

Edited by Raven Morpheus