Typhoon Wing Found in US

Steve N

Hello again all, looks like my accidental discovery in Indiana last week has led to a very happy ending for all concerned.  This was posted today on the Facebook page of Typhoon Legacy Co. Ltd., the group trying to build up a Typhoon in Canada. 

"With the recent discovery of some very large Typhoon wing sections in Indiana it has made for a truly amazing week for the entire team here at Typhoon Legacy. The team's synergy was unbelievable, and we are very pleased to report that we were able to quickly secure the parts to further preserve the legacy of this great aircraft and her crews.

Our sincerest thanks to everyone from around the world that helped make this happen; every individual who contacted us, arranged logistics, or donated to the project has just helped secure some of the most significant parts of this great aircraft. A very special thanks to Jonathan and Andy (pictured), who travelled non-stop to collect and return these items safely."

[linked image]

Apparently my thread on the Warbird Information Exchange forum got picked up by the Flypast forum, and the Typhoon Legacy group jumped on it. I had contacted the RB396 restoration group in the UK..hopefully they'll be able to benefit from this discovery as well. I'm happily surprised that they were able to negotiate a deal for the parts so quickly. I was worried that once the Kruse Foundation realized what they had, it might end up causing a bidding war that would see these priceless relics languish in limbo for years. Fortunately according to the Typhoon Legacy guys the Kruse Foundation couldn't have been nicer, and were very happy to see the wing go to a good home. I'm still stunned that over however many years the wing has been lying there in plain view, it seems I was the first to recognize it (or at least have some suspicions.)

Just to clarify, this been absolutely confirmed to be the outer left wing of a Hawker Typhoon, which has been in the possession of the Kruse Museum in Auburn, Indiana for over 15 years. I knocked together this illustration to show just how much is there. The two chunks only make up about 50% of a complete wing and rather battered, but the engineering information it will provide is invaluable to the teams working to rebuild a Tiffie.

[linked image]

Ian with Typhoon Legacy also posted this in a thread on their Facebook page: "We will start a closer inspection of all parts in the coming days and weeks, but have already noticed some smaller parts with no corrosion or deformation, and the aileron hinges are still free moving which is a great sign. We would really like to identify the aircraft and pilot; lots of work ahead!"

The only other wings known to exist are of course attached to the sole surviving complete airframe, owned by the RAF Museum and currently on display at the Canada Aerospace Museum in Ottawa, ON. I hope to make a trip up there sometime before they send it back to the UK.

Cheers!

Steve

Edited by Steve N
  • Like 10

This one actually came from Belgium.  The Kruse Foundation purchased the assets of a now-defunct Belgian museum about 15 years ago.  It was mostly military ground vehicles and such.  The Typhoon wing apparently came with the collection, but nobody realized what it was.  They were just using it as "set dressing" in a diorama. 

SN

I hadn't realised there were too groups trying to rebuild Typhoons, some how I'd morphed them into one. I guess this explains why I couldn't find anything about this on RB396's FB page. It 's to be hoped they can assist one another with information  in their quests.

Steve.

I had actually contacted the RB396 folks through Facebook, partly because I didn't know about the Canadian project either.  The RB396 project e-mailed me that they were excited and working to try to get the parts..but I haven't heard back from them.  I hope this situation hasn't resulted in any "bad blood" between the two groups.

SN

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve N said:

I had actually contacted the RB396 folks through Facebook, partly because I didn't know about the Canadian project either.  The RB396 project e-mailed me that they were excited and working to try to get the parts..but I haven't heard back from them.  I hope this situation hasn't resulted in any "bad blood" between the two groups.

SN

I'm sure like-minded people like these two groups wouldn't resent the outcome.  In fact I would imagine the Canadian group would pass on any new information they glean from the relic to the RB396 outfit.  They're all on the same side really.  I think it's great that the Canadian team are working towards building a Typhoon as they did operate it in large numbers and to great affect.  I believe the RAF Museum's sole survivor is currently on display in Canada in recognition of this, 

Edited by Meatbox8

Only in Indiana would you see a winged sprint car occupying the same building as a Typhoon wing (or vice versa). Congrats on your help there Steve as it can be quite a feeling helping to put an asset into the hands of somebody who will use it, especially an item as rare as a Typhoon wing.