Why do some kits have fit issues?

walkerccw

8 hours ago, dambuster said:

Hmm, IMHO injection gates on mating surfaces are a guarantee for poor fit......

Peter

I find cleanup easier to achieve when the mould gate is on a flat surface rather than attached to a detailed, possibly curved face. 

Less detail loss for a start. 

Grant

• Like 1

On 9/27/2016 at 1:28 AM, Phantome said:

Case in point, Revell. Amazingly engineered kits. But terribly produced kits, in particular the canopies which are straight up deplorable.

Just finishing off a Revell 1/72 Me109G-10.

Guess what - the canopy is a bit undersized. So, not quite a fit issue - but a poor canopy.

5 minutes ago, MilneBay said:

Well look on the bright side - no matter how bad the fit of a plastic kit balsa was worse. :D

Poor fit of a balsa solid kit would be down to the modeller - as the manufacturers didn't provide any fit!  I'm more concerned at the wartime use of used chewing gum for wing fillets on "solid" model aircraft - I kid you not.  I have a couple to restore and slightly worried as to what's under the doped camouflage!

On 9/29/2016 at 9:17 PM, Vanroon said:

I find cleanup easier to achieve when the mould gate is on a flat surface rather than attached to a detailed, possibly curved face. 

Less detail loss for a start. 

Grant

I agree. If the attachment is on the mating surface, usually a couple of swipes with a sanding stick or a fine file will take care of any issues. I find that works a lot better on wings then an attachment directly on the leading or trailing edge.

Edited by Don McIntyre
Spelling Error
  • Like 1