1/72 - Sukhoi Su-34 "Fullback" by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Trumpy and HB seem to be tied up with each other, so why not? Same as the Kriegslok - Trumpy in 1/35 and HB in 1/72, and others.

True. 

Same with the Mig-31 it seems.

The weapons load options are similar already between the 1/48 and 1/72 Su-34 instructions.

23 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Is it not just scaled down from the original CAD?

Based on sprue shots and the instructions sheet, the Mig-31 is definitely just a scaled down HB... complete with all the small inaccuracies.

I'm pretty sure Su-34 is the same.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2017 at 11:34 AM, Flankerman said:

At 3 X the price of the Italeri Su-34 - I'm prepared to bet it won't be 3 X better !!!

Ken

PS - My Italeri Su-34 build here.

At the time, effort and money invested in the extras on your Su-34 I'd say the price tag of the new kit is exactly where it should be. I already have the masks, some etch pieces, wheels pending, decals, AM resin set for the stabs, slats, flaps and wheel wells, and that already HAS made the positively pathetic Zvezda reissue of the mediocre (at best) Italeri kit too expensive for what it is - that is the ONLY reason I would not fork the bucks for the new one. And all of this ??? (I don't really know how to classify it in a politically correct manner) about the nose - 1) I have yet to see a close enough perspective comparison between the kit itself and a photo of the real deal, and 2) when the 48th scale kit actually showed up the entire affair rapidly subsided. So if the 72nd scale kit is a scaled down HB kit it should already be resolved. So far nothing as drastic as the Su-24MR to see on the -34 kit.

At 4 times the price of the e.g. Zvezda MiG-31 - I am willing to pay that premium despite having 2 complete -31 decal sheets (both 1 and 2, though not the kit itself) by Begemot. The R-40s will go directly onto the ICM MiG-25PD. The "correct" resin R-33s from AM alone would set you back about half the price of the Chinese kit - not speaking at all of the ridiculous pylons, "adapters" and remaining "missiles". Plus they (MiG-31 and Su-34) are both quite the handful of plastic.

I simply have seen neither Trump kits up and close yet, but oh well - I've waited a dozen years, a couple of months more will not really make a difference. Who knows, I might end up buying the 34 as well - 500 kits or 501...

Edited by pgp000
Double post.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen two on eBay here in the states but they're over $80.00 with shipping. Anybody else seen them anywhere else yet?

On 07/03/2017 at 3:04 PM, Platypus said:

So pretty much the 1/48 HB Su-34 scaled down?
Oh well, at least we know the mistakes with the nose.

Is it an exact scale down or have some changes been made?

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

On 15/03/2017 at 4:24 AM, Uncle Dick said:

I love the crew entry on these things (like the much larger bombers) and it appears Trumpeter do provide the option for the boarding ladder...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHpA_VNvW3_SZfe4J5r3v

That photo is of an early prototype Su-34 - with a detachable crew access ladder.

The production version has a neat built-in ladder permanently attached to the nosewheel leg - with a 'step' on the anti-FOD guard...........

Real%20003.JPG

..... it looks like it is provided in the Trumpeter/HB kit.

Ken

• Like 3

I have a funny feeling, no it's not the beer, that it is also on the etch sheet from Olimp - Ossetia Warrior. It looks like, from the pic above, it has a somewhat rectangular piece that goes forward and has 'mud' holes in it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flyboy72nd said:

It looks like, from the pic above, it has a somewhat rectangular piece that goes forward and has 'mud' holes in it?

That's the mudguard indeed. But on top of it, there is a step on the real aircraft.

16 hours ago, Flyboy72nd said:

That is the piece I am referring to!

I know. But on the said mudguard, there is a step. Step that is not looking to be molded on the mudguard (by the look of the instructions / Part C16)

Dear all,

Armory AW72045 wheel set has a nice mudguard incl. step, see below. Some cleanup of excess resin is required. On my opinion it looks well against Ken's photo.

Regards,

MartinP1020001_zpsaz7f2hvu.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/04/2017 at 9:12 PM, Flyboy72nd said:

I have a funny feeling, no it's not the beer, that it is also on the etch sheet from Olimp - Ossetia Warrior. It looks like, from the pic above, it has a somewhat rectangular piece that goes forward and has 'mud' holes in it?

Yeah, etched part P4 I think. But even in this scale, it will look a bit flat; the Armory set is the way forward -cheers Martin!

Still quite a few differences between photo of real thing and resin mud guard unless there are variations in the real mud guards (different production batches?)

No central spine on upper half on real thing

No rectangular support latch plate on right hand side just below the lip on resin mud guard

Vents strakes are too narrow on resin mud guard - looks twice as wide on real thing

Edited by Uncle Dick
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Uncle Dick said:

Still quite a few differences between photo of real thing and resin mud guard unless there are variations in the real mud guards (different production batches?)

No central spine on upper half on real thing

No rectangular support latch plate on right hand side just below the lip on resin mud guard

Vents strakes are too narrow on resin mud guard - looks twice as wide on real thing

I think there may be batch variations; this one appears to omit the latch plate under the right step rung support:

Photo Not My Property

As to the strakes being too narrow on the resin item, it is possible the ends are 'blurred out' in the photo and the images on the Armory site are CG. Mine should be arriving in a week or so, I'll get a better idea then!