Sea King retrograde building question.

TheBaron

Dear all,

A hopefully quick call upon the collective wisdom of the forum regarding a Sea King matter.

I can't seem to find a 1/72 kit of a Mk.2 variant and was wondering whether getting hold of an AEW.2 and simply removing the Searchwater radome and arm elements would be enough? I'm conscious there may be other surface features related to the AEW installation that I've overlooked....

Thanks for looking, 

Tony

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

..........You will, however, need to do a few RN-specific modifications,as seen here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975759-rn-har5-172-revell-cat1/&do=findComment&comment=1880792

You'll also need to modify the main rotor blades, as here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975758-raf-har33a-172-revell-cat1/&do=findComment&comment=1949335

You could use the new Airfix HAR.3 with similar mods as above, but you'll probably need to cut the strake off as well.

It's also lacking in some areas, such as rotor nead detail, an all-in-one tail rotor, and a distinct total absence of rivets!

Hi Tony, I hope you don't mind me asking a similar question within your thread.  I would like to build the Norwegian SAR version which, I believe, is also an early mark and would like to know if the REDNINGSTJENNESTE decals come with all the Airfix HAR.3 versions of the kit or just the latest boxing?

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hi Tony, I hope you don't mind me asking a similar question within your thread.  I would like to build the Norwegian SAR version which, I believe, is also an early mark and would like to know if the REDNINGSTJENNESTE decals come with all the Airfix HAR.3 versions of the kit or just the latest boxing?

thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

The brand new boxing for the RAF HAR3 only comes with the RAF decals, and for only one aircraft, the kit is really nice btw and a spin off from the HC4

so LIDAR scanned.

P1040371_zpsysbfwtj2.jpg

P1040372_zps7ienmo6v.jpg

HTH

Dan

Thanks Tony and Andy,

I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't know we could buy decals from Airfix.  I'll back off now as this thread is really about The Baron's Mk.2 Sea King.

Thanks again

Mike

• Like 1

TBH, the Revell kit was great for 1998, but it's a little inaccurate, especially in having undersized  sponsons. Looking at one alongside the Airfix one, a number of other shapes, especially around the engine housing, look off.

converting the Airfix HAR 3 back to a HAS2 shouldn't be too difficult, mainly removing bits and pieces. I think the latter HAS2s had the composite blades, but that is something to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

converting the Airfix HAR 3 back to a HAS2 shouldn't be too difficult, mainly removing bits and pieces.

Think the most difficult bit will be removing the strengthening at the fuselage/tailboom joint.  Not really difficult but needing care to obtain a good clean result.

• Like 1

The strengthening at the transportation joint, stn 493, was modification 830. 6 plates, 3 each side held on with 811 Hi-Lok fasteners. Introduced to prevent cracking of the stn 493 half frames on the forward face of the tail cone and the stn 493 webs on the rear face of the fuselage. It mostly worked.

• Like 3

On 24/09/2016 at 0:27 PM, andyf117 said:

You'd need the previous (old) version, 03043, but not too old, as that originally only had RAF and Marineflieger decals....

I believe the 'red box' issue was with the RNorAF markings - which you can probably buy for a few quid direct from Airfix.

Contact their spares department online....

Beware the copy I have is badly varnished and the decals don't stick I had to send an aftermarket Raf set.  I like the Revell one I have several along with the airfix ones.   I used the sponsors from the old airfix kit and it doesent turn out too bad.   Airfix one has no rivets but as I am not a rivet counter so no problem there then. 

Model decal did a sheet with most of the seaking early schemes 

Looking forward to seeing you build thread 

Rodders 

• Like 1

On 25/09/2016 at 0:18 PM, Dave Fleming said:

TBH, the Revell kit was great for 1998, but it's a little inaccurate, especially in having undersized  sponsons. Looking at one alongside the Airfix one, a number of other shapes, especially around the engine housing, look off.

converting the Airfix HAR 3 back to a HAS2 shouldn't be too difficult, mainly removing bits and pieces. I think the latter HAS2s had the composite blades, but that is something to keep an eye on.

Mk.2s had metal blades; the composites only came in with HAS5s, and even then early Mk5s had metal blades.  Easy to back-modify an Airfix composite blade to a metal one, though, especially if you're not worried about the "panel" lines (which I don't think I would be in 1/72); just re-profile the blade root.

I think I'd start with the HAR3 and mod back from there.  At least you are starting with an accurate Sea King (not necessarily a given, as I am discovering in my 1/48 HAS5 build elsewhere on this site!)

• Like 2

Hello Tony,

I have the Heller one and IIRC it's the old Airfix one (from the late 60's) with different transfers. I haven't built it.

I noticed questions about Norwegian Sea Kings.

Linked to that, Fujimi did a Norwegian one.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975844-rnoaf-westland-sea-king-mk43-1972-fujimi-172-boxing/

What's the Fujimi kit like?

All best regards

TonyT 

The Two Tonies

:D

• Like 1

Old but very nice - correct outline, parts fit very well and there'some interior detail Remember this kit originates from the '80 😃

Cockpit side windows need some elbow oil and generally speaking internal detail improvement. Eduard does a lovely etched sheet with most everythin internal and external detail improvement. The Westland variety boxing has the main different parts (from a Sikorsky or Augusta one).

I am still going to build mine with the detailing help of PE and some minor scratchbuilding. 😎

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I have the Heller one and IIRC it's the old Airfix one (from the late 60's)

Tony: Silas the Slow here just realized that Scalemates lets you check the 'heritage' of various kits :doh: Love the screenshot! :yahoo: It's goodnight from me....

36 minutes ago, Moggy said:

Old but very nice

Moggy: Is that the Fujimi in TonyTiger's post or the Heller in mine. I'm none to quick on the uptake today....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Tony: Silas the Slow here just realized that Scalemates lets you check the 'heritage' of various kits :doh: Love the screenshot! :yahoo: It's goodnight from me....

Moggy: Is that the Fujimi in TonyTiger's post or the Heller in mine. I'm none to quick on the uptake today....:rolleyes:

The Fujimi of course 😇

I have an old Airfix for nostalgy's sake (and intend to build it too 😈). Generally speaking it looks like a Sea King... but it bears no closer examination 😉 It's a typical '60 Airfix kit - the bee's knees when new; hopelessly dated today and made obsolete by two entire generation of kits 😈

Edited by Moggy
Language polishing & correcting the &/$(*& Telephone AI
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Moggy said:

The Fujimi of course 😇

I have an old Airfix for nostalgy's sake (and intend to build it too 😈). Generally speaking it looks like a Sea King... but it bears no closer examination 😉 

I like your rationale Moggy :D I'm the same with Matchbox kits...:lol: Tony

• Like 1