Airfix Hurricane Mk1 Trop,***Finished****

Hi folk's,with the nights drawing in I struggle to focus on my smaller scale builds as today's eye tests proved so it was logical when stepping up to 

1/48 for the Autumn to finally build this boxing of the Hurricane picked up from Mike(MJW) at the Northern show.The kit is well known now this is my 

third build of this kit and as it fits into the theme of this GB here goes,

DSCN3642_zpsfwo73wht.jpg

Box contents and superb scheme and decal's.

DSCN3643_zpsfzgszeuk.jpg 

Will get a start next week,

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 7

Morning folk's,one of those sleepless nights on Saturday so not wishing to wake the family with the airbrush I had a cut and glue session on a 

couple of kit's this being one and good progress was made on the internals.

DSCN3647_zpsgodcsfjl.jpg

• Like 6

Thank's Stix,I,m back dabbling in 48 scale as I,ve accumulated a few kit's over the summer this is one I also have Airfix's Vb in an all black scheme to do also their

MkXii clipped wing and sick of waiting for over a year now for my LMS to get the Defiant so ordered fromKK today,for the coming months and started a week blitzbuild

of a Yak 3 in the patriotic GB today.

• Like 1

Hi folk,s a bit more movement on this one,wings clamped up ready for sanding and the interior sprayed aluminium,the fuselage interior was painted

beige green and the raised detail painted.

DSCN3660_zpsdbmmzuw9.jpg

• Like 4

Hi folk's,quick update,as you can see the main airframe is complete and after a smidge of filler on the wing roots now under primer,I've got the 

wheel's U/C etc painted also the prop.Thanks for looking in.

DSCN3667_zpsibobv6mh.jpg

• Like 5

One man modelling factory :thumbsup: .

This kit looks very nice, you've chosen some good ones Steve. This and the Yak will look great together on display.

I like the panel joins and fuselage detail on this a lot more than the 1/72 Airfix. I know the latter is really popular but I can't seem to get motivated to build it. The nose/cowl shape also looks better on this 1/48 one to me :shrug: .

I really know nothing about Hurricanes (apart from they really are Best of British), so I'm probably talking complete gibber, but it looks rather splendid.

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

Update time folk's,the mid stone(or my take on it) has been applied.Also the azure blue is on have to leave the masking tape on until

the Dark earth is brushed on.

DSCN3690_zps2hofmgzu.jpg

DSCN3691_zpstbrfk2gy.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Looks excellent Steve, love the colour of the blue, what did you use?

Rob 

Thank's Rob,I can never get my head round this colour when mixing paints so I went for Vallejo Azure blue in the little plastic bottle,it spray's

beautifully thinned with water in two or three  goes.

• Like 2

Got an hour in tonight and a second coat on the dark earth and brushed the aluminium area's ready for the camo,and now under a coat

of gloss.Prop amd spinner popped on for photo.

DSCN3703_zpspfzxtjui.jpg

• Like 5

Hi folk's a better picture than yesterday's and main decal's now on ready for a wash and weathering,I've gone with Airfix's box top as they

give a choice of flashes which have been interpreted from B&W photo's of the real aircraft.

DSCN3706_zpso891eyjq.jpg

• Like 6

We're still on page one :o !

I have no idea how you do it Steve, flipping great :worthy: !

The Hurri looks very good indeed. 

A quick question; what did you use to mask off the main upper camouflage areas? Blu-tack, masks?

I only ask because my demarcations are nowhere near as real as this. Quite a few in the Drawer of Doom (aka 'Ken'), due to paucity of skill in this area.

The leading edge mottle is next?

Airfix chose a very interesting and challenging scheme here; you're absolutely nailing it old chap :thumbsup2: 

ATB

TonyT

• Like 1

Thank you Tony,the mottle is indeed next as I ve finished putting a wash in the recessed lines,I always do my base coats with an airbrush

as you can see but the earth on this and other builds are hand painted usually in three thinned coat's.

• Like 1

And said mottle applied,my airbrush isn't any good at detailed work as it's a basic "cover the lot" kind,so a fine brush was used which after

glossing and weathering will suffice.

DSCN3718_zpsq4gnaj2k.jpg

• Like 2

Evening folk's,most of the bits and pieces added the canopy has had a coat of interior green and middle stone applied cleaned 

up with a cocktail stick and a final coat still to be cleaned up,prop tips painted white ready for the yellow and wheels added wheel

bay and doors painted,nearly there!

DSCN3733_zpst1h4g4kq.jpg

• Like 5

Hi folk's just the wire to add and cockpit glazing to fix in place and she's done,looks like it could be a couple of days before I can get her in the

Gallery due to bad light and the weather forecast so as soon as I can in she will go.

DSCN3738_zpsaqwi9ymz.jpg

DSCN3739_zpsazf5bjip.jpg

• Like 3

In the gallery folk's just got a few minutes of light! Thanks for the interest still got Zulu in the GB so will restart work on her soon,and maybe

back with another aircraft before the end!

• Like 1