1/48 - Douglas A-4E/F/M Skyhawk family by HobbyBoss - A-4E/F & M released - Black Dog detailing sets

Homebee

A new tool 1/48th Skyhawk family (?) by HobbyBoss.

It is noted the HobbyBoss catalogue 2016-2017 announced a 1/72nd family of A-4 Skyhawk but definitely not in 1/48th!

httpscalemodels_runews9588_katalog_Hobby

At the All Japan Model & Hobby Show 2016, HobbyBoss displayed a 1/48th Douglas A-4M Skyhawk test build - ref. 81766.

Sources:

http://www.moxingfans.com/new/liao/2016/0923/2491.html

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4793391219

For my part and at first sight I stay with the Hasegawa Skyhawk kits...

2021412f07082838befa6291b099a9014d08f11b

1_160923170502_13_1.jpg

1_160923170502_14_1.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Overall dimensions of the E/F and M humps are similar to the best of my knowledge but there are a few subtle differences in regards to location of certain vents and openings. IIRC this is correctly depicted in the Hasegawa kits.

Bjarne

Can't afford Hasegawa A-4's anymore here in the UK, got an M at £17.99 in 2004 IIRC, then I looked at the Israeli version a few years ago.... £65.99! That's just not in my price range for a 48th Skyhawk.

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon
  • Like 1

Canopy looks off, but that could be the fact that the parts that aren't clear aren't painted and thats making it look wrong

Slats are up which is wrong for an aircraft on the ground. Again , perhaps that's the way the builder built it

Pity the Haseagwa kits, while nice still have issues in the fit department  . 

Slats up on the ground

Canopy is off shape

20 mills are way to skinny

Fuel probe shape is way out

What the hell is that point on the front of the Charlie tank

Nibble taken out of the starboard aileron.

I think I'll stick with Hasegawa thanks

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

You Jens, not we or are you the new forum speaker or a sales rep. of Hobby Boss? 

No, but it is a bit tiresome to see useless posts like yours that only whinge about the manufacturer and do not point out what is wrong and how to correct it.
NAVY870, on the other hand, has made a nice list of likely errors in the kit (likely because it is based on a picture). Posts like that are useful.

Jens

• Like 6

Oh, now i am deeply depressed. ;)

I didn't know you take modelling so serious. I thought Danes have a sense for sarcasm but you seem to be the exeption and i don't repeat all the mistakes in the kit that other people mentioned before. It's general criticism on hobby boss in case you didn't recognise. It's a free forum and no academic circle.

Go, have a beer and relax :D

• Like 1

It looks... funny.

The hood looks more like the Israeli one.

And that hump... Looks so off shape.

Once again HB, try to listen.

Not too late (I hope) to get this one properly done.

Especially because Hasegawa's Skyhawk is an amazingly good model (only overpriced)...

• Like 3

1/48th A-4 Skyhawk family confirmed in the catalog 2017-2018

Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235012994-hobby-boss-catalog-2017-2018-complete-programme-now-online/

- ref.81764 - Douglas A-4E Skyhawk

- ref.81765 - Douglas A-4F Skyhawk

- ref.81766 - Douglas A-4M Skyhawk

A4_2.jpgA4_1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

On September 26, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Hayabusa said:

Oh, now i am deeply depressed. ;)

I didn't know you take modelling so serious. I thought Danes have a sense for sarcasm but you seem to be the exeption and i don't repeat all the mistakes in the kit that other people mentioned before. It's general criticism on hobby boss in case you didn't recognise. It's a free forum and no academic circle.

Go, have a beer and relax :D

I think you may be on the wrong forum ?. General criticism of Hobbyboss, largely without substance, is normally reserved for those on the Armchair Relaxed Critic website.   

• Like 3

I'm a fan of the A-4, having worked on them for six years, but, aside from any possible problems, I don't see anything to recommend this kit over the Hasegawa kits I already own. Unfortunately, none of the Hasegawa 1/48 A-4s or TA-4s are currently available, but they do come back from time-to-time. Unless they are an absolute bargain, I will pass.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 2

The last two Scooters I'd get came from Eduard rebox. One limited Edition, a complete kit with everything needed for 40€, and one EduArt, same complete kit with only one option but still PE and masks, for about the same price... with a bonus MiG-21PFM!

That's a good way to get some fine Hasegawa scooter kits.

About HB future production, for me, I'll place a buying option on some if:

- It's cheaper than hasegawa

- It's at least as good as hasegawa

- It's better in term of warload than hasegawa. Much better!

I'll take also into account the colour options. But as HB NEVER surprised me regarding this...

• Like 1

On 09/12/2016 at 8:02 PM, Antoine said:

The last two Scooters I'd get came from Eduard rebox. One limited Edition, a complete kit with everything needed for 40€, and one EduArt, same complete kit with only one option but still PE and masks, for about the same price... with a bonus MiG-21PFM!

That's a good way to get some fine Hasegawa scooter kits.

About HB future production, for me, I'll place a buying option on some if:

- It's cheaper than hasegawa

- It's at least as good as hasegawa

- It's better in term of warload than hasegawa. Much better!

That pretty much sums up my thoughts too, I've got a few Scooters in the stash, mostly Monogram, and an Eduard issue of the Hasegawa E/F.

The Monogram kit has good shape but is now nearly 40 years old and soft on detail, and at the moment the Hasegawa kits are nigh on impossible to find, as are the Hobbycraft kits.

I'd like to get a couple of early B & C's, but I'm not prepared to pay the silly prices they go for on eBay.

Hmmm, those drop-tanks look rather pointy too.

Having just completed a conversion to a Kahu Kiwi scooter, the 1:48 Italeri kit surprised me with how well it went together and quite adequate for my needs. For approx 23 quid to boot.

It certainly needed a new bang-seat though.

11 minutes ago, hairystick said:

Hmmm, those drop-tanks look rather pointy too.

Having just completed a conversion to a Kahu Kiwi scooter, the 1:48 Italeri kit surprised me with how well it went together and quite adequate for my needs. For approx 23 quid to boot.

It certainly needed a new bang-seat though.

If you mean the one where the fuselage is matchbox-like engraved, with inaccurate raised details at the wings, thanks, but no thanks!

It is totally out dated. Of course if your intentions are to close everything and pose it in a flying position, then anything would do!

I love A-4 and have built a few of them (look at  my avatar). I loved monogram OA-4M more than any other.

Hasegawa's examples are nice too,but they lack this special air that revelogram kits carried (might be just my gone youth though lol lol lol)!

• Like 1

Here we go...next we will have pics of a test shot with lines drawn all over it and people pointing out all the inaccuracies as THEY see them  , much chest beating, ego feeding , idiotic plan comparisons and general  pontification...oooh Hobby Booo what rubbish..... oooh lets drag out the old Monogram kit etc etc etc  ....to extremes beyond your imagining 

Ahhhhhhhhhhh i just love it when new releases get aired here 

Sigh

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Norman said:

next we will have pics of a test shot with lines drawn all over it and people pointing out all the inaccuracies as THEY see them

I beleive there will be no "red lines post" as the issues are glaring enough and have already been discussed.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 1

The Hasegawa E/F boxing is still available currently as the Eduard reboxings, though one is expensive and paired with their MiG-21 and odd USMC vs MiG artwork. The other "limited edition" one can be picked up for good deals on ebay especially. Hasegawa's USS Midway boxing was "recently" available a year or so ago. I don't understand why they never reissue their earlier Skyhawks. I too would pick up some more B/Cs if they weren't $50+.

Like some of the Hobby Boss/Trumpeter 1/48 and 1/32 kits, I suspect these will be very similar to the 1/32 Trumpeter versions. I think it will be hard to beat the finer detail of the 1/48 Hasegawa kits. Those kits seem better to me than the larger 1/32 Trumpeter ones.