1/48 - Douglas A-4E/F/M Skyhawk family by HobbyBoss - A-4E/F & M released - Black Dog detailing sets

Homebee

3 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Interested to what you based your comparison on.

Hasegawa in hand to Hobbyboss in hand or Hasegawa to photo.

Gear well looks too small and the area aft of the MLG is far too flat.

Load out affects the compression of the oleo, it doesnt make the strut structure longer

Hobbyboss have got the gear leg too long, same problem as the 1/32 Trumpy kit has

Couldnt care less about the last bit,

So, and since you cannot really measure, what you really mean is that gear well and main gear look bad to you.

Let's wait and have the part in hand and then we can discuss based on facts.

If you bother to have a look further up, the issues I mention are wrong doing (compared to what I expected).

It appears that this one will not be a Hasegawa killer after all...

(unless the price is truly very low - which based on their recent pricing policy seems rather unlikely).

6 hours ago, DIO said:

So, and since you cannot really measure, what you really mean is that gear well and main gear look bad to you.

Let's wait and have the part in hand and then we can discuss based on facts.

If you bother to have a look further up, the issues I mention are wrong doing (compared to what I expected).

It appears that this one will not be a Hasegawa killer after all...

(unless the price is truly very low - which based on their recent pricing policy seems rather unlikely).

And you based your comparison on what?

Yes it does look wrong to me but as you don't have the kit either then your points are no more valid than mine.

Agree to disagree and leave it at that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

And you based your comparison on what?

No need for comparison (this is exactly what I try to explain to you):

• Slats are always extended when Skyhawks are landed. HB gives them molded in a closed position as part of the main wing.
  • Flaps fall after a while. HB gives them molded in a closed position as part of the main wing.
  • Front wheel molded on the gear. Well, it actually is!
  • Three part main intakes (why?). Same unnecessary complexity (equally bad to Hasegawa).

Those are facts and not personal estimations...

Edited by DIO

5 hours ago, DIO said:

No need for comparison (this is exactly what I try to explain to you):

• Slats are always extended when Skyhawks are landed. HB gives them molded in a closed position as part of the main wing.
  • Flaps fall after a while. HB gives them molded in a closed position as part of the main wing.
  • Front wheel molded on the gear. Well, it actually is!
  • Three part main intakes (why?). Same unnecessary complexity (equally bad to Hasegawa).

Those are facts and not personal estimations...

Two things

1. I worked on A-4's in the RAN, I have a fair idea that slats extend and such.

and

2. Your story changes with each post so go "explain" to somebody else thanks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Two things

1. I worked on A-4's in the RAN, I have a fair idea that slats extend and such.

and

2. Your story changes with each post so go "explain" to somebody else thanks.

Well, I am sorry I cannot explain more to you. But still, our comments may be useful to others :-)

• Like 1

I'm kinda surprised they went with that VA-155 camo scheme ("BuAer"... ehh BuNo). Odd they spelled Skyhawk correct for that caption but have "Sky Hawk" on the page title/header and elsewhere.

The VC-1 scheme should have bent probe and the walkway shown (and provided as decals) for that one isn't correct either, it should extend all the way to rear of the wing. The one shown/provided seems to be a common mistake, as it is, it would be appropriate for an A-4F.

It looks like the wing national insignias share the same error as the 1/32 kits by having rounded points for some reason - but oddly not the fuselage ones?

Edited by ziggyfoos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DIO said:

What appear to be rounded corners at the wings insignia, maybe the shadow from the carrying film, but might not...

It's an artwork image not the actual sheet so it can't be shadows. Here's their 1/32 example, it's the exact same way, also the red bar thickness differences between the insignias and the red bars off-centered. All of these 1/32 issues are shared unfortunately with the 1/48 decals shown on their website:

stars.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

Just a question: what does released means in this case? If it is not sold yet, how can that be released? Preorder is not released, as it may be in preorder for months...

Maybe something I do not understand well here?

On 5/17/2017 at 10:32 PM, DIO said:

Just a question: what does released means in this case? If it is not sold yet, how can that be released? Preorder is not released, as it may be in preorder for months...

Maybe something I do not understand well here?

Maybe factory pumping them out but not available for sale yet? No idea. 1999.co.jp shows June for release. 

2 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Maybe factory pumping them out but not available for sale yet? No idea. 1999.co.jp shows June for release. 

Indeed. This is where I pre-ordered... Just a few days to go (hopefully)

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up one today just because I love Skyhawks and to see what one gets......

It is definitely not up to the Hasegawa kit.....but it does have some good points and for one is the quilting in the cockpit sides and the back plate...the seat looks pretty decent too....and full weapons.....and a single molded hump.....Hasegawa ones are noted for the seam on top.....however .....quality control.....is all over the place......box depicts a bent probe and options without the hump.....but none of it to be translated .....in the two options.....I suspect the second option was humpless.....there is a drag chute.....but....not used in either option.....maybe for other versions ?

overall......I would say 6 over 10..... looks presentable ....for the price I paid....around 125 Malaysian ringgits. I plan to just swap this for my Hasegawa blue angles boxing as if I recall the blues had the spoilers wired shut ?....and use the Hasegawa plastic for a actual e in combat ops.....I still await the c and b versions......I do hope they are on the cards....anyone want specific shots let me know....I will try to take them and post...here

my two cents.....

mr b

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mr B said:

if I recall the blues had the spoilers wired shut ?

Wired shut to prevent a loss of control if one of the slats decided to stick, as they were wont to do.

Could get untidy very quickly in close formation work.

Two ways to fix a sticky slat, one could do it as per the book by removing all the access panels then adjusting and shimming the tracks

until it worked smoothly or

Stand up on the drop tank, make sure your watch Chief isnt looking and kick the bejesus out of it until it worked. If this didnt work then go

get the book. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

...or

Stand up on the drop tank, make sure your watch Chief isnt looking and kick the bejesus out of it until it worked. If this didnt work then go

get the book. 

That'd be the:dinosaur:way, Steve? :giggle:

• Like 1

On 10/6/2017 at 11:27 PM, Mr B said:

I picked up one today just because I love Skyhawks and to see what one gets......

mr b

Where did you buy it? It appears that it is not out yet !!!

On 6/11/2017 at 7:12 PM, NAVY870 said:

Wired shut to prevent a loss of control if one of the slats decided to stick, as they were wont to do.

Could get untidy very quickly in close formation work.

Two ways to fix a sticky slat, one could do it as per the book by removing all the access panels then adjusting and shimming the tracks

until it worked smoothly or

get the book. 

Cheers.....Always good to get technical information on one of my fav aircraft..........

8 hours ago, DIO said:

Where did you buy it? It appears that it is not out yet !!!

At my local hobby shop....He seems to get Hobby Boss kits fairly fast.....he had few boxes left.....when I picked up mine on Saturday last.....you can contact him he does mail order ......as well.........

Check him out in Facebook at Hobby HQ Malaysia ....hope this is off help to you............if you do ...just tell him Mr B or Brian referred you

Rgds

Mr B 

1 hour ago, Mr B said:

Cheers.....Always good to get technical information on one of my fav aircraft..........

At my local hobby shop....He seems to get Hobby Boss kits fairly fast.....he had few boxes left.....when I picked up mine on Saturday last.....you can contact him he does mail order ......as well.........

Check him out in Facebook at Hobby HQ Malaysia ....hope this is off help to you............if you do ...just tell him Mr B or Brian referred you

Rgds

Mr B 

Many Thanks Mr B :-)

• 2 months later...

The HB A4E ist not the best Skyhawk ever released.  True.  But its way better than the Monogram or HC kits. 

I think the effort to rebuild the slats is not bigger than the way to fit most of the overpriced and mostly not correct  in detail resin cockpits into the fuselages or suuuuuper detailed wheel openings into the wings. My last horror trip was the one with the 1/48 Aires Hellcat parts...😒

I buyed the new HB kit for 34€ and will check the differences against the Hasegawa E version.  

Many words are wrote here but no one did it to this time. 

I have many Hasegawa Skyhawks but I think the HB kit is an option for guys who dont have 50-60€ for the Hasegawa kit which stil needs weapons and better/thinner decals than the included stickers with mostly wrong colors.

At the moment is no one available on ebay😕

I build many HB kits to this time. They are not perfect but the fit is awesome. 

Best regards

Edited by nepio.1971
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...