1/48 - Douglas A-4E/F/M Skyhawk family by HobbyBoss - A-4E/F & M released - Black Dog detailing sets

Homebee

On 3/4/2017 at 0:57 AM, Gary West said:

And then you paid NZ to DACT with them in the 90's - makes a British mis-management of funds seem quite trivial :-)

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 1

On 03/03/2017 at 8:57 PM, Gary West said:

And then you paid NZ to DACT with them in the 90's - makes a British mis-management of funds seem quite trivial :-)

No we didn't, we contracted them for fleet support for the RAN (i.e. simulating ASCMs) whilst giving the Kiwis a nice place to live and run an OCU whilst saving many much more expensive and unproductive airframe hours on our Hornets. Actually a very good and cost effective outcome for Australian defence that the British could learn from unless you believed in running a ex-WW II light Fleet carrier well past its use by date, but don't let truth get in the way of banter.

Edited by Biggles81

5 hours ago, Biggles81 said:

Actually a very good and cost effective outcome for Australian defence that the British could learn from unless you believed in running a ex-WW II light Fleet carrier well past its use by date, but don't let truth get in the way of banter.

Meow! Now try watching the linked video........as I said, you then paid to carry out (amongst other things) DACT with your F-18s! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lefkB4-XgoM&t=406s

Edited by Gary West

If they release an A-4whatever it will probably be the only time that I will buy something from them, regardless of their ridiculously high price.

Even if it has inaccuracies...

There are some subjects that I just can't say no... Mustangs, Prowlers, Skyhawks, Lysanders, He-111 and Mirage IIIs. Whatever in 1/48, I buy it...

Yes, I know... Pathetic lol lol lol

Edited by DIO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DIO said:

If they release an A-4whatever it will probably be the only time that I will buy something from them, regardless of their ridiculously high price.

Even if it has inaccuracies...

There are some subjects that I just can't say no... Mustangs, Prowlers, Skyhawks, Lysanders, He-111 and Mirage IIIs. Whatever in 1/48, I buy it...

Yes, I know... Pathetic lol lol lol

Hahahaha Great!!! You'll be pleased i think!! I did the box art image of the A-4E...and i am working in other variants too!! I really hope to be a good series of models!!! A-4's are indeed great looking machines!!!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, planeart said:

Hahahaha Great!!! You'll be pleased i think!! I did the box art image of the A-4E...and i am working in other variants too!! I really hope to be a good series of models!!! A-4's are indeed great looking machines!!!

Great to know this...

(any OA-4Ms?)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gary West said:

Meow! Now try watching the linked video........as I said, you then paid to carry out (amongst other things) DACT with your F-18s! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lefkB4-XgoM&t=406s

Gary, mate, seriously I think you had better watch that video yourself and actually pay attention to what is said in it, even by the 'reporter' famous in later years for his kick the door down gotcha style of reporting, not to mention what the Minister says when not being interrupted. As was stated repeatedly (and not to mention even exaggeratedly at times) the Skyhawk role at Nowra with the RNZAF was for fleet support for the RAN for which we funded the hours, whilst the Kiwi conversion training was their own expense but which made use of our airspace and facilities, really a win-win. This story is typical 60 minutes. They mention state of the art Trackers, as state of the art as RAF Shackletons with APS-20 in the AEW role in the 1980s, only source of AAR - except for our B707 Tankers that were in service by that time (1990) and use of Learjets for gunnery support, something which we did for years both before 1990 and are still doing now. At least they did not mention HMAS Melbourne, the actual reason we had Skyhawks and Trackers in the first place. An Ex RN Light Fleet Carrier that was beyond modernisation, so much so the Skyhawks were withdrawn from embarked use due to repeated failures which deposited a few into the Indian Ocean on what turned out to be 805 Squadron's final cruise in 1980.

Of course our squadrons did conduct DACT with the RNZAF (not any more these so called state of the art Skyhawks with 20 plus years of spares and weapons were retired just over 10 years after the story ran), the example being that 1990 Ex WILLOH in the film, but we did not pay for that and in fact that activity laughingly and completely irrelevantly used by 60 minutes was run at Ohakea (New Zealand) not at Nowra. I'm sorry if I put my 28 years of RAAF (primarily fighter/strike) experience ahead of a sensationalist 60 minutes story (yes I was in when this story was made and am still in), but if you are going to try to shoot my point down, at least use a clip that doesn't actually reinforce what I said above. 

Edited by Biggles81

11 hours ago, DIO said:

Great to know this...

(any OA-4Ms?)

Hello there DIO....not me...however i think they have announced wich versions are going to be released...I am working in other versions than OA-4M...sorry....Please check Hobby Boss 2016-17 catalogue!!

3 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

All I see is a lot of lies and half truths being rehashed, whatever Munro and 60 minutes said there was a lot more 

happening than mere mortals like us will ever know. A few Admirals put career before country in the whole sorry mess and

should hang their heads in shame as well.

As for the hand bag fight above may I remind you gentlemen that a lot of good men were swept aside in both the RAN and RNZAF during the period

of 1984 to 2001, irreplaceable knowledge lost and both nations defence is poorer for it.

Keep your miaows to yourself thank.

Respectfully I have to disagree Steve, I was on 6 Sqn when the first ex-RNZAF Skyhawk drivers commenced conversion training on F-111s. Both the RAAF and the RAF (for that matter) fighter/strike communities were ultimately enriched by the sorry Skyhawk saga given where the RNZAF fast jet guys ended up.  Given the abysmal handling of the Melbourne saga post 1980 by both the Government and the Navy, I cannot see what would have been gained by continuing operation of the A-4Gs without a reliable deck for them. The RNZAF certainly benefited and further upgraded them in a way the RAN never would have.

All that said the "meow" from Mr West was uncalled for, wasn't a handbag fight until he came back with that rubbish. Like you Steve there is a level at which my tolerance fails me.

Edited by Biggles81

Maybe everyone should wait and see what the sprues are like with the HB A4? Like anyone who knows about the Scooter, we know that the leading edge slats should be open. Maybe the modeller who built the test shot just built it with them shut? 

If the kit is moulded with them shut, then that is a serious lack of simple research on HB's part. If this kit is based on the 1/32 kit, does anyone know if that kit has open leading edge slats? 

I love the Scooter but am not prepared to pay Hasegawa prices. 

• Like 1

On 11/03/2017 at 9:02 PM, Threadbear said:

I love the Scooter but am not prepared to pay Hasegawa prices. 

Wait until you see HB prices lol lol.

And then buy Hasegawa!

I'm not really sure why everyone is going on about the prices of Hasegawa Skyhawks. Except for some of the limited edition schemes (such as the New Zealand, Israeli and Kuwaiti boxings), Hasegawa's prices have actually seemed to have dropped:

https://hlj.com/product/HSGPT33

https://hlj.com/product/HSG64747

Luckymodel has it even cheaper:

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=HSG 07233

Granted, these are the M variant, but still, US$17 -$18 for one of the finest 1/48 toolings is a bargain.  And HLJ's Backorder is actually pretty reliable. They DO make an effort to try and scrounge up, out-of-stock items.

2 hours ago, Jackman said:

I'm not really sure why everyone is going on about the prices of Hasegawa Skyhawks.

And HLJ's Backorder is actually pretty reliable. They DO make an effort to try and scrounge up, out-of-stock items.

Prices here in the UK (and probably the rest of the EU) are higher. And if we import from the far east we sometimes get nailed with Customs/ Royal Mail charges, which adds 17.5% to the price and another £8 for Royal Mail 'handling'.

7 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Prices here in the UK (and probably the rest of the EU) are higher. And if we import from the far east we sometimes get nailed with Customs/ Royal Mail charges, which adds 17.5% to the price and another £8 for Royal Mail 'handling'.

Oh, I see. Forgive my ignorance.  

Anyway around it? Like a mass order among friends to dissipate the cost?  Also, since you mentioned importing from the east, this also means the upcoming HB Scooter will fetch a high price ( maybe even higher than Hase) in the UK, right?

54 minutes ago, Jackman said:

Oh, I see. Forgive my ignorance.  

Anyway around it? Like a mass order among friends to dissipate the cost?  Also, since you mentioned importing from the east, this also means the upcoming HB Scooter will fetch a high price ( maybe even higher than Hase) in the UK, right?

No probs, I wouldn't expect that you'd know the finer points of the UK customs ... some Brits don't either :)

The Hasegawa UK phantom (FGR.2 or FG.1) is £70  (RRP), don't know what you'd pay for it on your side of the pond. A UK F-4 is rare (only just been re-released) and so is the A-4 so prices can get inflated.

There's no way around customs charge and it's a random thing, some never get the charge, others do. And a mass order can have the opposite effect, the package will attract more interest and it'll be 99% certain to get the surcharge.

HB kits tend to be cheaper than Hasegawa but we won't know until they hit the shores here.

However, I'm hijacking the A-4 thread so I'll .. :shutup::)