1/48 - Douglas A-4E/F/M Skyhawk family by HobbyBoss - A-4E/F & M released - Black Dog detailing sets

Homebee

1 hour ago, ziggyfoos said:

The Hasegawa E/F boxing is still available currently as the Eduard reboxings, though one is expensive and paired with their MiG-21 and odd USMC vs MiG artwork.

Available in France at about 55€.

Less than 30€ for per aircraft, with PE and masks, and even a resin seat for the A-4.

Doesn't seems expensive to me.

10 hours ago, Norman said:

pointing out all the inaccuracies as THEY see them

Just because you are incapable of seeing an error, doesn't mean it ceases to exist.  There is still such a thing as objective truth.  You can argue whether it's significant enough to be an issue to you, personally, but if something is wrong, it is wrong whether you like it or not.

2 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Expensive I mean too if only interest is in the A-4.

The combo kit goes for $100+ in US stores. 

Eduard charges customers different prices depending on where you live.  The EduArt kit is $110 for Americans, $87 for (most) continental Europeans and $48 for Czech, Slovak and (IIRC) Hungarian and Russian customers.  I can't recall what their upcharge is for the UK, but I seem to recall it's higher than the European price.

Which is why you get threads like these, with some people saying how fantastically cheap Eduard kits are, and others complaining about them being too expensive.  It's because Eduard charges some customers more than twice as much for their stuff.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's interesting to see that HobbyBoss is planning a 1/48 Skyhawk BUT, what worries me is that I can't no longer find Hasegawa's Skyhawks on the market, especially now that we have some new decals' sheets from Vagabond.

Anyone knows what's going on?

14 minutes ago, Shalako said:

It's interesting to see that HobbyBoss is planning a 1/48 Skyhawk BUT, what worries me is that I can't no longer find Hasegawa's Skyhawks on the market, especially now that we have some new decals' sheets from Vagabond.

Here's the latest re-release:

http://hlj.com/product/HSG64747

Hasegawa keeps releasing limited editions with new decals but only the A-4M seems to be a regular catalogue item at the moment. At some point the earlier versions will likely get reissued again. Until then there is always ebay.

http://hlj.com/product/HSGPT33

Edited by VMA131Marine

4 hours ago, Shalako said:

It makes good business sense for Hasegawa and Eduard to not step on each others toes, Eduard have 2 editions of the E/F kit out at present 'The Sound of Silence' and 'Vietnam Scooters' whilst Hasegawa has the M readily available.

Once stocks of the Eduard kit are depleted maybe we'll see Hasegawa reissue the early Scooters.

• Like 1

VMA131MARINE and AntPhillips,

Thanks lads for your reply to my post.

Yes, Ebay is a good source for finding Hasegawa's 1/48 Skyhawks but, the cost can sometimes be unbearable for a scale model kit. Even when Hannants had Hasegawa's Skyhawks the prices (atleast for my pocket) were very high.

On the other hand, Hobby Link Japan is a solution for those who want to buy Hasegawa's Skyhawks, though I don't know how much they charge for S&H.

What I find strange is the fact that we can find very easily almost any modern jet that Hasegawa has produced in 1/48 ( scale models stores and Ebay) but, not the Skyhawks ( particularly, E/Fs and TA-4J).

Anyhow, let's hope HobbyBoss Skyhawks will be a good alternative solution.

Edited by Shalako

There is another option for the E/F kits, and that's the Monogram kit, yes its an older moulding (it dates from 1977 so it's 40 years old now), but it is accurate in outline and has some good details, it does have raised panel lines but they are fairly restrained, the cockpit detail is simple but effective, and the best bit of all, I picked up 3 different issues of the kit, all for less than 1 Hasegawa kit goes for on evilBay, and most issues of the kit include a weapons load too (the Blue Angels kit doesn't) which is ore tha youet with a Hasegawa kit.

I've got 4 of them now, 1 x Hi-Tech edition which includes PE parts, 1 x Aggressor, 1 x Blue Angels and 1 x original issue, I'm building one now, I've replaced the kit wheels with some Eduard ones, and I'm also going to try an Eduard Zoom set intended for the Hasegawa kit in the cockpit.

They'll keep me going until the HobbyBoss kit arrives.

6 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

I've got 4 of them now, 1 x Hi-Tech edition which includes PE parts, 1 x Aggressor,

You're mentioning that you have a Monogram Aggressor Skyhawk. Can you tell me if it gives decals for only one option or, for more? And for which squadron?

20 hours ago, exdraken said:

What about early B/C versions? 

Falklands anyone?

Never understood why Hasegawa hasn't re-popped the earlier versions when their E/F kits are re-released every other year it seems in some different boxing or under different brand (ProModeler, now Eduard). I'd pick up at least two A-4C boxings immediately.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, Shalako said:

And three new A-4 Vietnam sheets by AOA. There's still plenty of E/F Hasegawa kits available on second hand market even though Hasegawa's most recent Midway boxing has been OOP a year (or two, or three?) and as noted the kit is still available now under Eduard label.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ziggyfoos said:

There's still plenty of E/F Hasegawa kits available on second hand market even though Hasegawa's most recent Midway boxing has been OOP a year (or two, or three?) and as noted the kit is still available now under Eduard label.

They aren't that plentiful, and the prices they go for on the bay are crazy. 

There are a few of the Eduard boxing around at the moment and at least they include some resin and etch detail parts.

I just hope that HobbyBoss price it competitively but I'm not holding my breath based on the prices we are seeing for some of their recent releases.

2 hours ago, Shalako said:

You're mentioning that you have a Monogram Aggressor Skyhawk. Can you tell me if it gives decals for only one option or, for more? And for which squadron?

Here's some scans, the first is a 2 tone grey NFWS a/c and the second a tan/brown a/c from VMA-142 although there's no unit identifier other than a tiny MB code on the fin.

20170120_190512_zpsp8f32pdu_edit_1484939

20170120_190530_zps2dw6pwq3_edit_1484939

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi AntPhillips and thanks for the scans.

Very interesting decals, especially the NFWS Skyhawk (though it misses the golden name-tag below the canopy).

I have found quite a few on Ebay, but the S&H cost is very high, double the kit's price!

• 3 weeks later...

I quite like the Hobbycraft ones. Clearly based on the Monogram, they offer interesting variants with good decals and warloads.

Not as refined as Hasa and a bit porky around the pit but good enough for me with some boxings under £20

Sean

On 1/21/2017 at 3:26 PM, k5054nz said:

As well as HB, you're all missing the variant which will sell the most around the world regardless of scale: the A-4K. It's a no-brainer.

\

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 3

On 3/3/2017 at 4:26 PM, rholland said:

But if the G was so good why did you give them away to us?

:wink:

Richard in NZ

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 3

On 12/11/2016 at 2:14 AM, DIO said:

Hasegawa's examples are nice too,but they lack this special air that revelogram kits carried (might be just my gone youth though lol lol lol)!

Ha ha, I know what you mean, and I think you understand the 'cause'.  Of course, some of my "new" kits have been in the stash so long I grew up with them, too!

7 hours ago, rholland said:

But if the G was so good why did you give them away to us?

:wink:

Richard in NZ

So they could become Ks, I imagine...

• Like 1