Airfix Me 262 A-1a Schwalbe 1/72 Released - New Boxing Me 262B-1a released

sofiane1718

I must admit to being a bit excited about the Me 262. One of my favourite aircraft and I am hopeful of a 1\24 scale one in time. May be waiting for a while on that one! Some of the dogfight doubles are a mouthwatering prospect. Happy bunny.

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see what the sprue layout is like for this new Me 262. Judging from the CAD images Airfix would need to tool new fuselage halves for the B model if they were to that version.

Mike.

Very pleasing news for 1/72 builders if the old Aifix mould is like their Comet, dating from the bagged kits of my childhood and worn out.

A wise, safe choice too, good for all concerned. WW II German subjects always sell well, and Aifix's priority must be business. It fits their other selection criteria as well. Extant example to produce a model which won't be insta-flayed to death by todays' critical potential buyer for inexactitude.

In 1/72, since 2010 Airfix have retooled the Bf 109E, Fw 190A, Ju 87B(?), Bf 110C, and I understand their current Bf 109G isn't the one dating from the 1960s? So Me 262 seems about right for a makeover leaving only the Fw "Dora" to go in their linup in the most recognised and aesthetically popular of the common German WW II types category.

Airfix are getting there, and it's as exciting as it was overdue great to see their catalogue getting the boost into the current century and decade. Smart choice prioritisation too IMV. A mix of traditional 'with a dash of the right flavour sauce' in the Heinkel IIIP, and soon  an H, the new in the Do 17Z, and the Lancs which just had to there from the outset like scrambled eggs on a traditional breakfast menu. The Whitley and Mk1 Blenheim were both delicious surprises. Yes. Airfix is proceeding nicely in 1/72.Two thumbs up, even if it isn't my preferred scale for single engine types.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Two thumbs up, even if it isn't my preferred scale for single engine types.

Your day is about to get even better, because the Me262 has two.

• Like 4

Will buy at least one and if it's accurate several coz I have about 20-30 in the stash from Revell (Inc.their dogfight double with the P-51B), Monogram, Academy, Hasegawa, Matchbox that will need replacing. It'll be a toss-up between this and the new KP kit for real world builds and the older kits can be what-iffed.

Paul Harrison

On 24/09/2016 at 8:59 PM, T7 Models said:

I can definitely see a Mustang/Me 262 dogfight double on the horizon.

Have some ambition, the perfect DFD is with the as yet unannounced Hawker Tempest V, with 486 sqn marking as one option. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
Brain fart.
  • Like 3

Any body else hear about this . News of this came through on my email newsletter from Airfix. Some cad views of this new tool 262 looks good. Others shown are the Victor and B-17.

Edited by Paul J
amendment

The cad seems to show R4M's under the left wing but they shouldn't be in a straight line, the wooden launchers were angled in line with the leading edge. Hope Airfix notice it!

Paul Harrison

On 9/25/2016 at 11:36 PM, tonyot said:

Might get one if there is a captured RAF scheme included?

Cheers

Tony

Unlikely. It'll be JG 7 and JV 44

• Like 1

On 9/30/2016 at 8:34 AM, GreenDragon said:

The cad seems to show R4M's under the left wing but they shouldn't be in a straight line, the wooden launchers were angled in line with the leading edge. Hope Airfix notice it!

Paul Harrison

E-mail them and let them know. After all, they took the notes of the Martlet IV on board.

• 2 months later...

Coming up in Workbench...

This Friday's edition of Workbench has an exclusive update on a project we know many of you are waiting for! To whet your appetite, here’s a small sneak peek of the sprue that’ll you soon be able to see in all its glory.

workbench 2017

For the full story, and more, check out Workbench this Friday (16th December).

Probably boxed as a series 2 kit?

All the rest of their 2017 new tool releases so far have been series 5 and above

Mustang Series 5

Phantom Series 6

Sea Fury Series 6

Walrus Series    9 

Might be a new trend to shift away from smaller kits? :(

Edited by Uncle Dick