Airfix Me 262 A-1a Schwalbe 1/72 Released - New Boxing Me 262B-1a released

sofiane1718

As one of the most significant aircraft of the Second World War and certainly one of the most distinctive, the Messerschmitt Me 262 has always been a popular subject with modellers. The original 1/72nd scale version of this kit first appeared in the Airfix line-up back in 1960 and many thousands of these models have been produced since this date. It is more than likely that many Workbench readers will have enjoyed building the classic Dogfight Doubles set, featuring the Me 262 and Mosquito, which for many modellers is one of the most significant kits to appear in the Airfix range. Over recent years, modelling communities have been particularly vocal in requesting a new version of the world’s first jet fighter, which would benefit from the latest manufacturing technologies available to the Airfix team and update one of the most popular models in the history of our beloved hobby. As you will have already guessed, we are extremely pleased to be able to confirm that a new Messerschmitt Me 262 A-1a is on the way and is currently scheduled to be available in early 2017.

Taking on some of the most iconic aircraft ever to take to the skies has never been something that has phased the talented designers at Airfix, who have a highly effective system for producing accurate and highly detailed scale replica kits for us all to enjoy building. At the outset of any new tooling project, the team endeavour to obtain as much accurate research detail as they possibly can, which in the case of the Messerschmitt Me 262 included information from their own extensive library and securing excellent and highly accurate technical drawings from a respected aviation draughtsman. This information was backed up with the invaluable opportunity to closely inspect the Me 262A-2a W.Nr 112372, which is on display at the RAF Museum, Hendon. The team were able to take accurate measurements from this genuine wartime aircraft, along with a large number of photographs, detailing every aspect of the construction of this beautiful aircraft.

Perhaps the most impressive stage in how the team bring a new model project to life is the process by which they take all this research data and computerise the information, producing base model files which will be central to every aspect of the new model's development. Once they have these computerised base model files, they can use powerful software to check every aspect of its design for shape and accuracy, with even the finest detail easily accessible. Individual component parts can be developed with incredible accuracy, as the software allows everything from the entire fuselage to an undercarriage strut to be designed and inspected in impressive detail. Always conscious of the scale in which the new model will be produced, these digital files allow designers to create model components that are as accurate as current injection moulding tolerances will allow, but always challenging themselves to push these manufacturing boundaries.

SOURCE: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/the-2017-announcements-begin/

Edited by sofiane1718
  • Like 7

Good afternoon  Sofiane

Where did you get this info please ?

I don't think we need a new Me 262 Kit when there is already the Revell one but afterall I don't  care I am not a Luftwaffe fan ..

Regarding the Airfix last productions (Typhoon vs FW 190 ) maybe they will produce a Tempest or a Spit Mk XIV to go with this new 262 ? 

Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon  Sofiane

Where did you get this info please ?

I don't think we need a new Me 262 Kit when there is already the Revell one but afterall I don't  care I am not a Luftwaffe fan ..

Regarding the Airfix last productions (Typhoon vs FW 190 ) maybe they will produce a Tempest or a Spit Mk XIV to go with this new 262 ? 

Regards

Patrice

Hello, it's on the official website:

SOURCE: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/the-2017-announcements-begin/

• Like 1

Good afternoon

Good news for the Lufwaffe fans but I do think that Airfix should have concentraded on allied operated aircraft (Hurricane Mk 1, Spits Vc / XIV  , Mossies ,Thunderbolts and Lightning etc ..) ..

Patrice

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sofiane1718 said:

Well, it's just the beginning  of their announcements of their 2017 range, I would also love to see a new P-38 Lightning from them!

Yes it is just the beginning and I do really hope that they will be something more interesting to come I don't care about German or japanese stuff ..but after all if I don't spend my money in this Airfix 262 I will spend it in Eduard Spitfire ..

Patrice    

32 minutes ago, sofiane1718 said:

Well, it's just the beginning  of their announcements of their 2017 range, I would also love to see a new P-38 Lightning from them!

Yes it is just the beginning and I do really hope that they will be something more interesting to come I don't care about German or japanese stuff ..but after all if I don't spend my money in this Airfix 262 I will spend it in Eduard Spitfire ..

"

List from local forum:

2016:

09 - Royal Class Quatro Combo, 1x IXc Early, 1x IXc Late, 2x IXE.

11 - Mk.XVI Dual Combo Bubletop/Highback Limited Edition

12 - Mk.IXc Early ProfiPack

1st half of 2017.

Aussie Eight Mk.VIII Limited Edition (with book)

Mk.IXc Late Weekend

Mk.IXE ProfiPack

2nd half of 2017:
NAŠI SE VRACEJÍ Quatro Combo Limited edition (Czechoslovak, with book, august)

Mk.XVI Bubbletop ProfiPack

Mk.VIII Weekend

The list is subject to change

Brassins:

engine

weapons
engine cover (09/2016)

Patrice    

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

1 minute ago, T7 Models said:

You may not but I am sure somebody will.

I hope so for Airfix , after all it is a free Modelling world we are living in  everybody can build whatever he/she wants ..

I am just a little bit disapointed but I hope to be pleased with the others forthcoming news ..

Regards

Patrice  

Quite surprised by this.  Not really my area but Luftwaffe is very popular and there's no denying the historical significance of the type so I might get one.  I must say that when I started reading the item I thought Airfix were going to announce a 1/24th scale Schwalbe.  Now that would be impressive.

Anyway, good to see the Victor is coming along. 

Edited by Meatbox8

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I hope so for Airfix , after all it is a free Modelling world we are living in  everybody can build whatever he/she wants ..

I am just a little bit disapointed but I hope to be pleased with the others forthcoming news ..

Regards

Patrice  

Some perspective, Patrice. It is ONE announcement out of a whole release schedule.

4 minutes ago, T7 Models said:

Some perspective, Patrice. It is ONE announcement out of a whole release schedule.

Yes and let us hope that they will be a lot of releases next year meaning that Airfix is doing fine ..

Patrice

Really thrilled about this. Yes, I thought it was going to be in a larger sale too when I first started reading, but I'm so glad it's 1/72.

It's a very significant aircraft and a must for Luftwaffe fans, of course.

Maybe the mention of the dogfight double set is a hint and the Mossie is on its way too?!

Ian

• Like 2

Not particularly one for me either, but there can be no doubt that the Me262 will outsell the Bulldog.  Aside from that their old tool is much worse than their old tool Bulldog.  That doesn't really need as retool, but perhaps a re-release.  If you want one, get one of the old ones out of people's stashes.