Airfix Me 262 A-1a Schwalbe 1/72 Released - New Boxing Me 262B-1a released

sofiane1718

7 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Probably boxed as a series 2 kit?

All the rest of their 2017 new tool releases so far have been series 5 and above

Mustang Series 5

Phantom Series 6

Sea Fury Series 6

Walrus Series    9 

Might be a new trend to shift away from smaller kits? :(

Are those not all 1/48 though? The Me-262 is 1/72.

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/the-stormbird-approaches/

The Stormbird Approaches

Date: 16/12/2016

The Stormbird Approaches

Welcome to the 36th edition of Workbench and your regular look behind the scenes at Airfix. In another feature packed edition, we have an exclusive update from one of our recently announced new model tooling projects, plus the second part of our Telford Scale ModelWorld review. We're also taking a nostalgic look at some of the most coveted Airfix products from the Christmases of our youth. Finally, we look at some of the recent model releases, many of which Santa will be lugging around in just a couple of weeks time. There is a lot to pack in, so let’s get straight into it.

Exclusive Me 262 Update

imageb

The prototype Me 262 was one of the Airfix stars of the Scale ModelWorld show

Over the course of the past few weeks it almost seems as if every new edition of Workbench includes the exclusive announcement of a new model tooling for 2017, with the promise of more to come. With all the newly announced models available in prototype form at the Scale ModelWorld show, we know that many modellers are very much looking forward to their arrival and we are pleased to be in a position to bring you an update on the first of these projects to be announced – the awesome Messerschmitt Me 262.

As the first operational jet fighter in the world, the Messerschmitt Me 262 has to be considered as one of the most significant aircraft in the history of powered flight and one which pointed to the future of aviation. Developed, tested and given its service introduction at a time when Allied air forces enjoyed varying degrees of air superiority in the skies above Europe, many former Luftwaffe aces firmly believed that had they been in a position to deploy large numbers of these jets at any time, they would have been able to halt the Allied bombing offensive. Although this may not have been able to alter the eventual outcome of the war, it would have certainly prolonged the conflict allowing Germany to develop more of their super weapons and build up even greater numbers of jet aircraft – a sobering thought indeed. As it was, the Me 262 was to become both the most hunted and most coveted aircraft in the world during the latter stages of WWII. As Allied ground units advanced into Germany, airworthy examples of the Messerschmitt jet fighter were highly prized and exhaustively evaluated to reveal their secrets. The aeronautical advances incorporated in this magnificent aircraft would drive jet aviation throughout the world in the years following the end of the Second World War.

ImageE

ImageDImageC

A selection of exclusive images showing the first test sprues from the new Me 262 tooling

We are extremely pleased to be able to bring you these exclusive images of the first test frame sprues to be shot through the new Me 262 tooling, which whilst fascinating to the modeller also indicate that this project is advancing at pace. Although there is still much work for the Airfix team to do, these images show that the tooling work has already been started and our new Luftwaffe jet is on the way. For the designers, these sprues will now be poured over in the most minute detail, looking for any areas where the tooling can be improved, or to see if any modifications are required. A test build will also be completed to ensure that all the components fit together as they were intended, with any alterations being detailed to the tooling manufacturer for working. The next stage will be rather similar, as any alterations will have to be similarly assessed before the project can advance further. We know that Workbench readers look forward to seeing production images such as these and we very much look forward to bringing you more Messerschmitt details over the coming months, along with news on all our other exciting new projects.

V.P.

• Like 2

As far as I can remember I've never seen a pic of a single seat 262 carrying drop tanks (except for a Romanian Air Force model I built!) so a two seater could well be coming.

Paul Harrison

39 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I'm sure I remember seeing a CAD screenshot of the Airfix '262 with R4M rockets fitted. It would have been nice to have those included.

When we last saw them on the CAD, they were wrong, so that may be why they've fallen behind. Undoubtedly this will come out in at least two, possibly three versions as with all the new tool Airfix stuff so I'm sure they'll be back in due course,

Uncle Dick observes 65 parts all together which puts it squarely in series 2 kit territory - so expect a 10 quid price (if they don't hike prices again) with 2 aircraft options on the decals.

A pity workbench did not mention that those lovely Jumo jet engines only had an average life span of 25 hours with a major overhaul required after 10 hours due to the material scarcity late in the war!

Anyway looks like a good release - but as I said before where are the series 1, 2, 3 and 4 new tool releases; so far we have only one series 2 kit for 2017 which is new tool... (just saying like)!

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

That looks very nice and crisp, like the windscreen part breakdown.

+1, but looking at the tires, these look to me like being a bit too flattened, don't they ?

Madcop

6 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I'm no 262 expert, but the tyres always struck me as looking a bit low pressure and flattish on the real examples, but might be adjusted for grass surfaces?

Neither am I but I don't think 262 used grass that much...they preferred ( the pilots !) concrete runways as for example "autobahn" sections.

I just had a look in my volumes 2 and 3 of Smith & Creek Me 262 book and I never saw a picture with such flattened tires. Even loaded with two bombs the tires are not flattened at all.

Madcop :) 

• Like 1

Not really my area (I'll be saving my lolly for the Phantom) but it looks like a very nice kit to me.  I see there is a little chap on the sprue who appears to be wearing late War Luftwaffe flying kit.  I wonder if he has a moustache 'a la Adolf Galland. 

17 hours ago, 71chally said:

That looks very nice and crisp, like the windscreen part breakdown.

Agreed. However, it would have been nicer if Airfix were to offer a single piece closed canopy option. Personally, I don't like multi part canopies. All too often the individual pieces just don't match up. Apart from that minor niggle, this is definitely one of the two new Airfix kits I will be buying next year! The other being the Phantom of course!:D

Allan

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Agreed. However, it would have been nicer if Airfix were to offer a single piece closed canopy option. Personally, I don't like multi part canopies. All too often the individual pieces just don't match up. Apart from that minor niggle, this is definitely one of the two new Airfix kits I will be buying next year! The other being the Phantom of course!:D

Allan

It's funny, for every person that says they don't like multi-piece canopies there will be someone saying they don't like single piece canopies - it would be boring if we were all the same!

Personally I prefer multi-piece items because that's more like the real thing.

It would be good if they produced the kit with both multi-piece and single piece canopies though.

I'm looking forward to this kit.  I'll be getting a few.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, martinBK said:

It's a pity that the doors of the main gear bay are molded in one piece...too thick ! (like Hasegawa's kit, a kit from 1985 !).

How can you tell that  from the photos of the sprues?  I know I can't.

3 hours ago, martinBK said:

It's a pity that the doors of the main gear bay are molded in one piece...too thick ! (like Hasegawa's kit, a kit from 1985 !).

I don't know that they are "too thick". Difficult to judge from the photo. However it would be easy to replace them with doors made from thin plastic sheet. Personally though, I prefer them moulded in one piece as shown.

Allan

34 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

I don't know that they are "too thick". Difficult to judge from the photo. However it would be easy to replace them with doors made from thin plastic sheet. Personally though, I prefer them moulded in one piece as shown.

Allan

But that's the thing Allan, real undercarriage doors aren't just thin sheets of metal, they are usually reinforced with doublers and box like structures to stop them flexing too much, in fact, in terms of access doors, undercarriage doors can be some of the thickest on an aircraft.

Have Airfix got it wrong?  Did Hasegawa get it wrong?  Without going anywhere near a museum aircraft armed with my trusty calipers I don't know.

In between Hasegawa, Academy and entry level Revell kit that is easily obtainable, not to mention forthcoming AZ/KP kit...cannot see logic behind this release,  more so due to price hikes both Series 2 and 3 become seriously overpriced compared to all the mentioned brands.

Most importantly....two of the most prominent features of Me 262 never found in 1/72 kit- positionable flaps and slats are again excluded from this kit....:(

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

In between Hasegawa, Academy and entry level Revell kit that is easily obtainable, not to mention forthcoming AZ/KP kit...cannot see logic behind this release,  more so due to price hikes both Series 2 and 3 become seriously overpriced compared to all the mentioned brands.

Most importantly....two of the most prominent features of Me 262 never found in 1/72 kit- positionable flaps and slats are again excluded from this kit....:(

Well Airfix have had an Me.262 in their inventory for as long as I've been modelling, I think their original 262 was the 2nd kit I ever got in about 1971 when I was six.  It fits in with them replacing the older kits in their inventory.

Then there's the old adage that other peoples Me.262's not making any money for Airfix.  I'm sure it will sell and sell well, whether it's the No.1 choice for the enthusiast is another matter.

Are the older kits not without their shortcomings?  I don't know for sure and it's an awful long time since I last looked a 262 (back when Revell bought their kits out).

I have to agree about the slats though as they work under gravity, the flaps have to be selected to that position so I'm not so bothered about them.

All current 1/72nd 262's have problems and the KP kit has been postponed indefinitely because this Airfix one is coming out. The old Airfix mould is awful so needs replacing.

Paul Harrison

The fuselage halves are on a separate sprue so that does give scope for Airfix to do the two seater. Most manufacturers who have the 262 in their range normally do both versions.

Mike.:hmmm: