Airfix Me 262 A-1a Schwalbe 1/72 Released - New Boxing Me 262B-1a released

sofiane1718

As it appears minor easy to fix issues are often blown out of proportions only cause the kit is from Airfix.

What's behind this is the question that comes into my mind ?

It won't hold me off from buying lots of their retooled stuff, I already have almost a hundred of these in my stashes.

I wouldn't say that all the new Airfix kits have been 'fun and easy to build'. I got very fed up with the Blenheim! Others have been no problem at all.

Like most people here I'm perfectly happy to apply good old modelling skills to any project. It's the very basis of the hobby we love.

But I do see the point that some people are making - you just know that a Tamiya or Hasegawa Blenheim would fall together in a way that Airfix's one doesn't. It's not a huge problem in the scheme of things, but one that does exist. And the fact that some of the kits are aimed at beginners means it's important to get the basics right. The need to shave off some plastic from the fuselage to achieve proper wing dihedral, for example, won't be obvious to a complete beginner, and is something they really shouldn't have to do.

I love working on the new Airfix kits. But when I built one of Hasegawa's P-40s a while back I couldn't help but marvel at just how effortless it was by comparison to one or two them. Hopefully Airfix will go on improving in this regard, and achieve a comparable and consistent quality of fit in future releases.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, occa said:

It won't hold me off from buying lots of their retooled stuff, I already have almost a hundred of these in my stashes.

The Good Doctor has diagnosed yet another Britmodeller member with ANTSCADS  Airfix New Tool Stash Compulsive Acquirement Disorder Syndrome

Just bought eight of the new tool Me 262 myself what can I say except that I am an Airfix addict...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Dick said:

Just bought eight of the new tool Me 262 myself what can I say except that I am an Airfix addict...

Eight? Blimey!

I think you just saved Hornby. :lol:

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

The Good Doctor has diagnosed yet another Britmodeller member with ANTSCADS  Airfix New Tool Stash Compulsive Acquirement Disorder Syndrome

So that means you won't be building the 8 then? Or does it lol

Some vague vision of 2 what ifs (tropical schemes) for the Lufwaffe still holding out in North Africa in late 1944, for some reason I feel insecure buying anything less than 6 of the new tool releases I like especially the smaller kits... it will be a miracle if I build one in the long term!

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:04 PM, Learstang said:

Great Caesar's Ghost! You mean you have to scrape a little bit of plastic away to get a better fit!? Not to be allowed, there ought to be a law, hanging's too good for them, etc. Yeesh, folks, try wrestling with some East and Central European limited run kits for awhile. As for me, I'm not too overly concerned with perfect fit, as long as the kit is dimensionally accurate. As some have indicated, dealing with a few fit issues is called 'modelling'. To me it's all a part of the game. And perhaps I'm just lucky (for once), but the fit on the Airfix kits I've bought recently, such as the Gladiator, the Shackleton, and the Beaufighter have all been exemplary. I will probably pick this kit up, and I will definitely purchase the Fortress III. If I have to bring out 'Ol Sharpy', my trusty modelling knife for a bit o' whittlin', then so be it.

Regards,

Jason

I've had less bother getting Sword, AZ Models and KPM kits together than some recent Airfix kits, in some cases it's a lot of plastic sanding, supergluing and clamping. I've had a few issues with warped parts in Airfix kits and parts snapping in half when you cut them in half (The Mustang aerial and control column breaks almost every time for example) etc, etc.

23 hours ago, RussellE said:

Okay, normally I would follow these discussions quietly in the background, but, being a quiet day at work, and seeing the comments surrounding the new kit from Airfix, I think I'll throw my hat into the ring. (And no doubt erk some people along the way. I mean no offense and offer my apologies in advance).

I can't help but feel that Airfix are unfairly held to standards that other kitmakers are not, for a minor area on a kit where model making is actually required.

I've seen numerous build logs of other kit brands where the kit has had all sorts of fit issues etc and the author has filled, filed and fought his/her way to the finish, commented how great the kit was, then in the next breath will deride anything Airfix because of some minor quibble...

For anyone not content with needing to scrape a little bit of plastic to get an ideal fit, can I suggest to attempt building some of the maritime subjects from a certain far eastern manufacture? The kits I have built from them have fought me every step of the way (fit issues, warped parts, poor tool making-none of which I have experienced in any major way from the "new" Airfix kits), and to take a break and get back my mojo I retreat to the joy and safety of Airfix kits which I know will be fun and easy to build and restore my mojo before delving back into the depths of what passes for a kit from this other maker.

I have resolved not to purchase any more kits from this certain far eastern manufacture, even though they offer the most kits to satisfy my interest in maritime subjects. Instead I will only by kits from them after thorough inspections of the box contents and positive reviews online but it will be a rare thing indeed.

However I have no such reservations purchasing Airfix kits.

And yes I will be purchasing the new Me262 and from what I've seen I'll enjoy every moment of it ^_^

Just my 2cents.

I make model ships too, not sure manufacturer you mean. I find Flyhawk, Trumpeter, Tamiya, Hasegawa, Fujimi, Aoshima and Pit Road (Skywave) ships all fit together with minimal fuss. Some resin kits even fit together better too. As stated in the previous post, I've had warped parts, broken parts (try fixing snapped Martlet landing gear, which was snapped in half on opening the kit and Airfix wouldn't replace the part), many fuselages that don't close up properly (I find Airfix the worst for this). Airfix's quality control issues are well documented and many people have had issues. I don't expect perfection but I do expect a mainstream manufacturer to be able to make kits that fit together properly and no it won't stop me buying Airfix kits if it's a subject I want to make, like the forthcoming B-25C/D.

thanks

Mike

31 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

I've had less bother getting Sword, AZ Models and KPM kits together than some recent Airfix kits, in some cases it's a lot of plastic sanding, supergluing and clamping. I've had a few issues with warped parts in Airfix kits and parts snapping in half when you cut them in half (The Mustang aerial and control column breaks almost every time for example) etc, etc.

I make model ships too, not sure manufacturer you mean. I find Flyhawk, Trumpeter, Tamiya, Hasegawa, Fujimi, Aoshima and Pit Road (Skywave) ships all fit together with minimal fuss. Some resin kits even fit together better too. As stated in the previous post, I've had warped parts, broken parts (try fixing snapped Martlet landing gear, which was snapped in half on opening the kit and Airfix wouldn't replace the part), many fuselages that don't close up properly (I find Airfix the worst for this). Airfix's quality control issues are well documented and many people have had issues. I don't expect perfection but I do expect a mainstream manufacturer to be able to make kits that fit together properly and no it won't stop me buying Airfix kits if it's a subject I want to make, like the forthcoming B-25C/D.

thanks

Mike

Please don't misunderstand me: I certainly don't think Airfix are without flaws, but, I do think they're held to a different yardstick than most other manufacturers.

I've had my fair share of quality issues in Airfix kits, but no more than other manufacturers in the same price bracket. Which begs the eternal question: Would we be willing to pay more for a better kit?

One area where I believe Airfix could drastically improve their kits (and for little cost) is in better packaging. This is something other manufactures figured out a while ago. Often times when Airfix place all items in one polybag within a box, items break, warp, become crushed and get damaged. Better packaging to prevent damage to the contents could avoid most of the quality issues listed above.

Again, just my 2cents. :smile:

• Like 1

Just now, RussellE said:

Please don't misunderstand me: I certainly don't think Airfix are without flaws, but, I do think they're held to a different yardstick than most other manufacturers.

I've had my fair share of quality issues in Airfix kits, but no more than other manufacturers in the same price bracket. Which begs the eternal question: Would we be willing to pay more for a better kit?

One area where I believe Airfix could drastically improve their kits (and for little cost) is in better packaging. This is something other manufactures figured out a while ago. Often times when Airfix place all items in one polybag within a box, items break, warp, become crushed and get damaged. Better packaging to prevent damage to the contents could avoid most of the quality issues listed above.

Again, just my 2cents. :smile:

Yes, I would and I do buy more expensive kits than the Airfix but you can get better kits than Airfix for similar prices in some cases. Like the Eduard Spitfire IX, Fw190A/F-8 and Bf110's. It really depends on the subject though for me, no one else does a Whitley right now, for example and in fairness I did like building the Airfix RAF Sabre and Spitfire 22. I bought the Airfix He111P and not the Hasegawa one (which I know is a nice kit, which builds well) because the Airfix one has the decals for the one in Gardemoen in Norway (which I've seen in person). It's just a little annoying that someone's found something wrong with the latest kit, I'm sure we'd all like the latest Airfix kits to be top notch.

thanks

Mike

30 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

Yes, I would and I do buy more expensive kits than the Airfix but you can get better kits than Airfix for similar prices in some cases. Like the Eduard Spitfire IX, Fw190A/F-8 and Bf110's. It really depends on the subject though for me, no one else does a Whitley right now, for example and in fairness I did like building the Airfix RAF Sabre and Spitfire 22. I bought the Airfix He111P and not the Hasegawa one (which I know is a nice kit, which builds well) because the Airfix one has the decals for the one in Gardemoen in Norway (which I've seen in person). It's just a little annoying that someone's found something wrong with the latest kit, I'm sure we'd all like the latest Airfix kits to be top notch.

thanks

Mike

Couldn't agree more, Mike :smile:

Mike, I believe this is a case of you mileage may vary. I've had good luck with my Airfix kits; for example, I did not have any of the short shots that some have reported with the Shackleton kit, and my recently-built Beaufighter went together very nicely, with no warped parts. I don't know if the kits that make it to the States have gone through some sort of winnowing process (perhaps by the time they make it to our shores, they've fixed some of the quality control issues for some kits?), but I just haven't had the sort of problems I've no doubt others have had with some of Airfix's recent releases. As far as the Sword and AZ kits are concerned, they have improved over the years, and I find their recent kits go together rather well, especially the Sword Spitfires. My KP new-mould La-5FN went together almost without incident (although it did have a bit of flash, that was easily dealt with).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Learstang said:

I believe this is a case of you mileage may vary.

I have yet to have an issue with any of the new tooling Airfix kits since the Spitfire I/Ia.  I've finished quite a few but admit I approach every build (regardless of maker) the same: fit, file, fit, file, fit, glue.  It's what 50+ years of modeling taught me.  I freely admit I have not had issues with Hasegawa, Tamiya, Eduard, AZ, Special Hobby, Sword, Roden, or less well known makers, either.  

If a kit is accurate in shape, and it's a subject I want, the maker gets my money.  I won't try to build something from crap, unless it's the only option.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Greenshirt said:

If a kit is accurate in shape, and it's a subject I want, the maker gets my money. 

And that's where Airfix get you: regardless of the quality issues (and the regrettable deviations into 1/48), you can't fault their subject selection.  Apart from the inexcusable ignoring of the Blackburn Shark TT.III, of course.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

The last Airfix kit I had any issues worth to mention with was the Type45 Destroyer - the way the superstructures had been engineered. A lot of filling and sanding.

Since then I have built: SeaVixen, Javelin, Shackleton, B-17G, Lightning (72), Vampire, Harrier GR.1 and GR.3.

And the only building flaws I do remember were some sinkholes in the Shackletons fuselage parts and a little filler for it's engine nacelles - wing connection.

So no complaints from me.  I have a 262 on order as well. Should arrive soon...:nod:

12 hours ago, Seahawk said:

And that's where Airfix get you: regardless of the quality issues (and the regrettable deviations into 1/48), you can't fault their subject selection.  Apart from the inexcusable ignoring of the Blackburn Shark TT.III, of course.

I think we're on the same page here Nick, especially the doing 1/48 before 1/72. What were they thinking of? ;) :)

Steve.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:39 PM, RussellE said:

Okay, normally I would follow these discussions quietly in the background, but, being a quiet day at work, and seeing the comments surrounding the new kit from Airfix, I think I'll throw my hat into the ring. (And no doubt erk some people along the way. I mean no offense and offer my apologies in advance).

I can't help but feel that Airfix are unfairly held to standards that other kitmakers are not, for a minor area on a kit where model making is actually required.

I've seen numerous build logs of other kit brands where the kit has had all sorts of fit issues etc and the author has filled, filed and fought his/her way to the finish, commented how great the kit was, then in the next breath will deride anything Airfix because of some minor quibble...

For anyone not content with needing to scrape a little bit of plastic to get an ideal fit, can I suggest to attempt building some of the maritime subjects from a certain far eastern manufacture? The kits I have built from them have fought me every step of the way (fit issues, warped parts, poor tool making-none of which I have experienced in any major way from the "new" Airfix kits), and to take a break and get back my mojo I retreat to the joy and safety of Airfix kits which I know will be fun and easy to build and restore my mojo before delving back into the depths of what passes for a kit from this other maker.

I have resolved not to purchase any more kits from this certain far eastern manufacture, even though they offer the most kits to satisfy my interest in maritime subjects. Instead I will only by kits from them after thorough inspections of the box contents and positive reviews online but it will be a rare thing indeed.

However I have no such reservations purchasing Airfix kits.

And yes I will be purchasing the new Me262 and from what I've seen I'll enjoy every moment of it ^_^

Just my 2cents.

:D:speak_cool:

Very nicely put!! I have my share of problems with recent Airfix kits!! The Supermarine Swift was a total pig of a kit to build, I nearly gave up on my Blenheim kits and, it was only by dint of much swearing, cursing, hacking and filling that I got the blasted things together! I had to beat my Shackleton into submission :angrysoapbox.sml:. However, the Lancaster and Dornier Do 217s were a joy to build!!It seems that while some have had endless problems with certain kits, others have had none at all with the same kits which, to me anyway suggests poor quality control?

Would I stop buying Airfix kits? Well no, of course not. No manufacturer is perfect and, they have all produced their kits from hell at one point!! I do believe Airfix IS being singled out unjustifiably. For all the fit problems (inconsistent as they may be), I cannot fault them on their choice of subject even though these subjects may not always be to my taste. There are of course certain people for whom Airfix can do NOTHING right, no matter how good the kit and, they will find faults for no other reason than it suits them to do so.

It has been suggested here and on other discussions that, the fit problems may arise from lower quality control and moulding/material standards in the country in which they are produced (India?). I believe it has also been rumoured that Airfix will return production to the UK. Fair enough. Will modellers then be happy if, the kits are produced to a higher standard but, are a good bit more expensive due to higher costs in the UK?

Maybe part of the problem also is that a lot of modellers expect to be spoon fed nowadays  and, simply feel that all they need to do is pour glue and paint in one end of the box, give it a shake and then have a complete model drop out the other end!! Heaven forbid that a little effort might be needed!!:yikes:.Now, I am not defending or condoning poor fit of kit parts but, I can live with them. I'd rather have an ill fitting pig of a kit like the Shackleton than no kit at all. Would I buy a perfectly fitting kit of same produced by Fujigawamiya at 2 - 3 times the price? No, absolutely not! Largely because Airfix kits, warts and all are (mostly) affordable!

Allan

ps Yes, I WILL be buying the 262 AND, the Sea Fury AND, the B-25 AND, the Phantom (lots of) AND..............!!:D

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 4

Would I buy a perfectly fitting kit of same produced by Fujigawamiya at 2 - 3 times the price? No, absolutely not! Largely because Airfix kits, warts and all are (mostly) affordable!

I would disagree with that to some extent. Competing kits are not always 2-3 times the price. In some cases, like the Zero, yes, you would be right, the Tamiya class leader is 2-3 times more expensive than the Airfix. There is a very honest and fair trade-off here: The Airfix kit builds well but is less detailed and the Tamiya is more expensive but probably one of the best kits ever manufactured in the scale. You gets whats you pays for. If cost is your leading indicator to buying kits, the Airfix kit is clearly king here.

However, on other kits, and there are a number, like the FW-190, P-51, Spitfire IX, Bf-110, the trade-off is not so good: The Airfix kits are reasonably priced, yes, but there are competitors available for the same or even less money that are miles ahead of them in terms of fit, accuracy and detail. Frankly I see no good reason to buy any of these kits.

Anyway, I agree with people here that the issue on the 262 seems to be a little exaggerated. Few kits are truly shake and bake and if a quick trim results in a good fit it's not enough to withhold any points from my perspective. What worries we more about the kit is the price - at 13 quid it's significantly more than the Revell (new), Hasegawa (easily available second-hand) and the same price as the Academy. I look forward to reading a good comparison between the kits as I've heard all of them have accuracy issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sroubos said:

I would disagree with that to some extent. Competing kits are not always 2-3 times the price. In some cases, like the Zero, yes, you would be right, the Tamiya class leader is 2-3 times more expensive than the Airfix. There is a very honest and fair trade-off here: The Airfix kit builds well but is less detailed and the Tamiya is more expensive but probably one of the best kits ever manufactured in the scale. You gets whats you pays for. If cost is your leading indicator to buying kits, the Airfix kit is clearly king here.

However, on other kits, and there are a number, like the FW-190, P-51, Spitfire IX, Bf-110, the trade-off is not so good: The Airfix kits are reasonably priced, yes, but there are competitors available for the same or even less money that are miles ahead of them in terms of fit, accuracy and detail. Frankly I see no good reason to buy any of these kits.

Anyway, I agree with people here that the issue on the 262 seems to be a little exaggerated. Few kits are truly shake and bake and if a quick trim results in a good fit it's not enough to withhold any points from my perspective. What worries we more about the kit is the price - at 13 quid it's significantly more than the Revell (new), Hasegawa (easily available second-hand) and the same price as the Academy. I look forward to reading a good comparison between the kits as I've heard all of them have accuracy issues.

:speak_cool:

Accuracy is not an issue with me. It never has been so, I have no problem with the  Airfix kits you mention and, I don't consider the prices unreasonable either. I certainly haven't noticed a significant price differential between the Airfix kits noted and, their competitors. Depends where you buy I guess. However, I respect your point of view here. As always, its down to personal choice.

Price does play a very large part in my decisions to purchase. I'm on a low income and VERY tight budget! Getting back to the 262, is it over priced? Well, that's a very subjective issue and again, I suppose it boils down to the individual. My local shop is selling them at £11.69 each. I don't think that's excessive in itself. If people feel it's too high, then don't buy it and go for one of the cheaper options.I did pick up a couple of Hasegawa Me 262B kits for under £10 each recently so, if Airfix were to produce a B version, they'll have lost a sale here!! Are the earlier kits any better? I honestly don't know as I have (apart from the Hasegawa kits) never built them. Incidentally, if you feel the Airfix kit may be over priced, check these out!:yikes:. I accept that competing kits are not always 2 - 3 times the price but sometimes..........!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Messerschmitt-Me-262-A-1a-Plastic-Model-Airplane-Kit-02021-/201532208651?epid=1554023549&hash=item2eec41760b:g:YP0AAOSwQYZW1Fu9

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hasegawa-1-72-Scale-Messerschmitt-ME262A-1A-with-GR-21-Model-Kit-/252987489714?epid=1073149558&hash=item3ae73abdb2:g:2KwAAOSwXetZPqT5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hasegawa-1-72-Scale-Messerschmitt-ME262A-1A-with-GR-21-Model-Kit-/253078015596?epid=1073149558&hash=item3aeca00e6c:g:fPoAAOSwzoRZhFM5 

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

I'm not too bothered about accuracy either, all these kits look pretty good to me. It'll still be interesting to see which one is the best.

The Hasegawa kits you link to are some of their special editions with (I think) resin bits and yes, they are ridiculously overpriced, at least in the UK. The A version is still quite easy to get for a tenner or less, I got one at Telford a while back.

At 11,69 it seems like a pretty good deal as it is more detailed than both the Revell and Hasegawa kits.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2017 at 6:25 PM, RussellE said:

If anything, that yardstick on this forum is of excessive and often unwarranted praise. Yes, I know it's BRITmodeller and Airfix is a British institution but still, the lack of objectiveness in many people's comments on Airfix kits on this forum is quite hilarious when you see it from unbiased eyes.

Trench-like panel lines = "detailing is slightly overdone but looks good to me"

Terrible fit = "there are some problem areas but I can live with it"

Poor shape = "some issues but looks like a XXX to me"

:P

• Haha 1

My 2c: Airfix kits are getting progressively more expensive despite not showing an equivalent progression in quality. Surface detail is still not up to par to most other manufacturers (Italeri notwithstanding) and there's still a short-run-ish feel to them, which is evident in their fit: I have not had a single new Airfix kit without significant fit problems. It's a shame because they've now had quite a number of years to improve but struggle finding one new Airfix kit that is substantially superior to that of some other manufacturer, the exceptions being those where Airfix has no competition (like the Swordfish). If you're going to charge £13 for a Me 262 which will likely have some accuracy and fit issues, why not just spend an extra £2 and get the Academy which is still the benchmark for this plane on this scale (mind you, has some fit issues too)? Or get the Revell at half price.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phantome said:

If anything, that yardstick on this forum is of excessive and often unwarranted praise. Yes, I know it's BRITmodeller and Airfix is a British institution but still, the lack of objectiveness in many people's comments on Airfix kits on this forum is quite hilarious when you see it from unbiased eyes.

Trench-like panel lines = "detailing is slightly overdone but looks good to me"

Terrible fit = "there are some problem areas but I can live with it"

Poor shape = "some issues but looks like a XXX to me"

:P

8 hours ago, Phantome said:

My 2c: Airfix kits are getting progressively more expensive despite not showing an equivalent progression in quality. Surface detail is still not up to par to most other manufacturers (Italeri notwithstanding) and there's still a short-run-ish feel to them, which is evident in their fit: I have not had a single new Airfix kit without significant fit problems. It's a shame because they've now had quite a number of years to improve but struggle finding one new Airfix kit that is substantially superior to that of some other manufacturer, the exceptions being those where Airfix has no competition (like the Swordfish). If you're going to charge £13 for a Me 262 which will likely have some accuracy and fit issues, why not just spend an extra £2 and get the Academy which is still the benchmark for this plane on this scale (mind you, has some fit issues too)? Or get the Revell at half price.

:D I believe the phenomenon is described commonly as looking through rose tinted glasses although I don't necessarily agree it's down to excessive and unwarranted praise!!  However, we can agree to differ on that.

Personally, I have no particular loyalty to Airfix. I don't bother about accuracy or otherwise and, if they look all right to me just by looking at the kit parts then, I certainly fall into the "looks like a XXX to me" category!! However, that is beside the point. They are, as you say getting progressively more expensive ( for example 32% price increase for the recent Whitley VII and, 24% increase for the latest Heinkel He-111) although this is by no means confined to Airfix. I like the subjects choices but, while I agree the standard of detail is often very high, the material used is soft and seems to be of poor quality. While it wont stop me buying Airfix, a lot of the recent kits have had terrible fit problems. Yes, I can live with it if I like the subject and there is no alternative. I don't mind a bit of effort in modelling but, serious fit problems in supposedly state of the art toolings are, quite frankly inexcusable.

Price is a very subjective issue of course and value, like beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder but, if there is competition, then I will happily buy a cheaper alternative. I certainly won't buy another Airfix Shackleton MR2 after the truly appalling fit issues I had with the one I did get. The Revell AEW2 is nearly £12 cheaper so I bought that one instead of the forthcoming Airfix kit. The kit was a joy to build.  Getting back to the 262, my local shop is selling them at £11.69 which I think is quite reasonable.

Allan

I want Airfix to do well, as a British company, who make British subjects.

That said, if it's an awful kit then I'm not spending my hard earned cash knowingly, on rubbish, that would just be silly.

I've bought a few Airfix kits recently, all in 48th, such as the new Ju-87 and Hurricane. I'm not very far through the Hurricane (just getting the cockpit together) but construction is almost complete on the Stuka and the fit was Tamiya good. Care needs to be taken when painting, I avoid painting any mating areas as the tolerances on the kit are that small that a layer of paint hinders the fit. To me this isn't a problem, I just plan the build accordingly and is part of my enjoyment.

Thats what I wonder, are most people "painters" rather than "builders"? Is that why it frustrates people more if fit of a kit is a problem, as it holds up the process of which you prefer more, the laying down of colours and finishing?

I enjoy fixing things (I do it in real life too) so those sorts of issues don't tend to bother me so much and offer me a sense of achievement.

With regards to the 262, I saw some go for £13.50 at the Farnborough IPMS yesterday and some for a few quid cheaper. I personally think that's expensive for a 1/72 kit of a fighter, but people were rushing to buy them so what do I know?!  I saw (and should have bought, but I already have one) Tamiya's 1/48 262 for £15. Now don't get me wrong, that's a bargain for that kit, but it just seemed pertinent on the price argument.

I obviously have read horror stories of fit and QC on Airfix new kits, even the kits I've taken a risk on (Hurricane & Stuka) but I've not experienced these problems and I'm in no way a "quality modeller" (as was most evident from the show yesterday, some of the work was just incredible) so I have to just judge for myself as and when I get a kit.

I want to build a Spitfire lineage, so I'm after a reasonably priced 1/48 Airfix Mk I, as to me, it looks good, the reviews I've seen are mostly positive and other than the Tamiya kit it's pretty much the only one around.  When it comes to a Mk IX, I'm not even contemplating Airfix, I'll get an Eduard Profipack. So I'm not a fanboy you see.

Disclaimer: This is in no way a aggressive post nor opinionated, it is a genuine thought and question.

• Like 3

I'm on with one at the moment. Everything seems fine so far. Perfect plastic putty for wing to fuselage and undernose for'ard section used on mine just for a bit of fine gap/blending. The gun ports will be enhanced by a bit of hollowing. Oh, and the nacelles; a bit of old fashioned fettling, blending and sanding in order here. May have been just me but nothing insurmountable.

• Like 1

Gents can we please play nice in this thread or we will shut it down. Accusations of an anti airifx campaign dont help, along with branding a kit rubbish. £13 for a new tool 1/72 I cant see how people think this is expensive. As with any kit some will find it an easy build, some OK, and some hard.

Please stop throwing accusations etc around and keep it to the facts. 

Julien