Aussie Sabre

Hi all,

Another from the paint shop. I'm not so proud of this one as I had a few issues along the way, particularly with the Humbrol red ;).

She is a Fujimi F-86F converted to a CAC Sabre using a Tasman set. However, I wanted to retain more detail than the Tasman set offers and also feature open speed brakes. So I set about blending the two, essentially inserting the Tasman lower nose in to the Fujimi and then inserting the NACA vents from the Tasman also. It isn't entirely accurate but I got to the stage that I just wanted her done. The biggest disaster was when I used some setting agent for the decals on the dayglo. Foolishly I didn't gloss coat as the panels were already pretty shiny. The result was a number of "stains" that I couldn't remove. Anyway, that's it and here she is. The detail:

She represents "A94-946", operated by the ARDU from Laverton for sidewinder trials.

Kit - Fujimi F-86F "Mig Killer" (you could use a "SkyBlazers" offering)

Conversion - Tasman

Cockpit - Pavla

Decals - Model Alliance (72125)

Paints - Humbrol 191 and Humbrol 209 (with white and yellow undercoats).

I hope you like her.

M

cacsabrebuild1

cacsabrefront

cacsabrerear

Edited by RidgeRunner
Moved to Flickr from PB
  • Like 47

Looks really great and clean!

I have these 2 kits and hope to build a CAC Sabre at some stage too.

By the way, there is also a High Planes conversion which I think has open air brakes (I have that one too). Would this have made the conversion easier?

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

Quite possibly, Michael, although i dont know how detailed the HP conversion set is. If you build one and want decals i have leftovers!!! I'll be ebaying them. I won't be building another ..... Well, if i do it will be Indonesian :)

martin

On 9/23/2016 at 8:21 AM, Michael louey said:

By the way, there is also a High Planes conversion which I think has open air brakes (I have that one too). Would this have made the conversion easier?

I'm building a High Planes/Fujimi/Academy (needed wings with Sidewinder rails) one right now, and no. No it would not.

Morning!

The dayglo panels. First a Matt white coat, then a Matt trainer yellow coat and then a number of light Humbrol 209 coats, bit by bit. I then gave the dayglo a gloss varnish coat (Gloss cote) while the rest was Matt varnished. Does that help?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
Poor grammar :(

• 6 months later...
On 25 September 2016 at 8:43 PM, Procopius said:

Yep, I used Fujimi wings with the High Planes fuselage and the Academy everything else.

29925308675_ab4e204e69_k.jpg20160925_142432 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Did you ever get yours finished, Procopious?

Really like it,

you have made a great job on what is not an easy conversion, with either the Tasman or High Planes conversion kits, and have to agree with Procopious with the exception of the open Speed brakes not much between them, both offer quite a lot of modelling pleasure  :D

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Did you ever get yours finished, Procopious?

I sure did!

39955964151_7d236ffbb6_b.jpg20180128_183722 by Edward IX, on Flickr

39955964051_920078ba34_b.jpg20180128_183731 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Hmmm...I remember it looking better than it does. Oh well.

39245770704_b6e0ee572f_b.jpg20180128_183710 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 3