1/72 - F-15E Strike Eagle - by G.W.H (GWH, Great Wall Hobby)

172flogger

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

That's as funny as your opinion regarding the merits of the Academy kit vice the GWS.:worry:

Gene K

I truly hope my opinion on the matter does not stop you from buying the Academy kit and enjoying it if you think it's so much better. I, on the other hand, will most likely be buying the GWH kit when it comes out. I hope knowing that hasn't ruined your day. :)

1 hour ago, Phantome said:

I hope knowing that hasn't ruined your day. :)

Thanks. There's nothing you could do that would have any negative impact on my day ... but I do enjoy your comedic opinions and attempts at humor.  :wink:

I'm looking forward to getting the GWS kit I ordered, and will be placing an order for the Academy kit as well. 

Gene K

My copy of the GWH kit turned up from Hobbyeasy a few days ago and my impression of the kit's quality and finesse matches those above. There are two disappointments for me though - one mild but not insurmountable (thanks to the spares box) and one quite minor (in the context of contributing to my spares box):

Firstly, IMHO the outline/shape of the kit's 600 gal tanks is suspect. They appear to be the correct length and the correct diameter in the very middle of the tank, but the outline is a constant radius/taper, whereas I think the actual tanks have a middle section of constant diameter (or at least much less taper). The photos below show a comparison between the tanks in the GWH kit and those from Hasegawa (which appear to me to be more correct) - hopefully they illustrate what I'm referring to.

34302149434_8fc0599782_b.jpg

34302149174_4f5c3ce79d_b.jpg

34302149284_bb4e4b7965_b.jpg

34302149554_986b9e9a8f_b.jpg

In the last two photos I’ve tacked one half from each kit together and shaded the overlap of the Hasegawa kit, but these photos and even the 'in-the-plastic' comparison seem to indicate that there is very little difference…!  That said, to my eye the difference is sufficiently apparent to mean that I’m not going to use the GWH tanks; I have an odd Hasegawa tank spare to donate when the time comes.

The other issue is very minor – in the kit I’ve received there are no parts for an F-15I (despite them appearing on the sprue photos earlier in this thread and as 'greyed out' options on the instruction sheet); no satcom antenna and no turkey-feathered nozzles, for instance. I’d really hoped to snaffle those for a future F-15D build… Can’t have it all apparently.

Everything else on this kit looks excellent and I'm looking forward to making a start once some other projects are out of the way.

Andrew.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

My copy of the GWH kit turned up from Hobbyeasy a few days ago and my impression of the kit's quality and finesse matches those above. There are two disappointments for me though - one mild but not insurmountable (thanks to the spares box) and one quite minor (in the context of contributing to my spares box):

Firstly, IMHO the outline/shape of the kit's 600 gal tanks is suspect. They appear to be the correct length and the correct diameter in the very middle of the tank, but the outline is a constant radius/taper, whereas I think the actual tanks have a middle section of constant diameter (or at least much less taper). The photos below show a comparison between the tanks in the GWH kit and those from Hasegawa (which appear to me to be more correct) - hopefully they illustrate what I'm referring to.

In the last two photos I’ve tacked one half from each kit together and shaded the overlap of the Hasegawa kit, but these photos and even the 'in-the-plastic' comparison seem to indicate that there is very little difference…!  That said, to my eye the difference is sufficiently apparent to mean that I’m not going to use the GWH tanks; I have an odd Hasegawa tank spare to donate when the time comes.

The other issue is very minor – in the kit I’ve received there are no parts for an F-15I (despite them appearing on the sprue photos earlier in this thread and as 'greyed out' options on the instruction sheet); no satcom antenna and no turkey-feathered nozzles, for instance. I’d really hoped to snaffle those for a future F-15D build… Can’t have it all apparently.

Everything else on this kit looks excellent and I'm looking forward to making a start once some other projects are out of the way.

Andrew.

Is the canopy as thick as it appears in the photo's?

Edited by Tbolt

On 6/7/2017 at 5:23 PM, Tbolt said:

Is the canopy as thick as it appears in the photo's?

It is a little thicker than the Hasegawa kit, but not to the extent that it detracts from the kit's appeal. I also like how GWH has moulded the windscreen with part of the surrounding fuselage (I guess it probably corresponds with the actual panel). Photos below will hopefully illustrate:

34394881103_feb097eb18_c.jpgP1000600

34394880543_acc7e27df0_c.jpgP1000602

Clarity for both is fine (GWH first):

34360133624_9a1f791291_c.jpgP1000605

34360133464_e5b5f1999f_c.jpgP1000609

cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 5

Thanks a lot for that Andrew, it's got good clarity and certainly will not be a problem with a closed canopy. If having the canopy open, maybe a little thinning right at the edges just to give the "frame" a thinner look might be in order. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/22/2019 at 1:34 PM, Stephen said:

New boxing with 48FW Heritage scheme

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/b4snpquoyumrdcg747wc.html 

Good news, though there are another two schemes to cover for the other two squadrons, but I'm sure a decal manufacturer will be along with that very soon.

• 3 years later...