M4A2 Sherman (Mini-Me version)

Texan76

My second ever armor build (I'm an aircraft modeler). A little background on how this came to be: I decided I wanted a Grex airbrush. I went to this shop in town that Grex listed as a dealer. It was not a true hobby shop, but a game shop. They sold anything from board games to the tabletop games that are played with figures, vehicles, etc. I got to asking questions, and learned more about the gaming. I started to gain interest in a couple of games, Bolt Action and Flames of War, which are both WWII games. Bolt Action uses 1/56 scale (28mm) pieces, while Flames of War uses 1/100 (15mm). 

I plan on playing a demo game of each next week to decide if I want to get into it, but in the meantime I bought this Sherman to test the modeling aspect of it. Zvezda makes 1/100 scale vehicles to go with Flames of War, so when I saw that this kit was only $4, I thought I'd throw it together.

This was essentially a snap kit, but fit was perfect and the detail nice for such a small model. I painted it overall Vallejo Model Air Olive Drab, then lightened areas by adding a little white. I dry brushed the entire tank with Vallejo Model Color Khaki. I painted the wheel rubber and the tracks with Ammo Mig Rubber and Tires. After a gloss coat of Future, I did a wash with Ammo Mig Dark Brown Wash. I then used Ammo Mig Fresh Mud from the Nature Effects line to add some mud to the tracks and wheels. After a matte coat, and used gunmetal pigment on the tracks to give a metallic sheen and used an earth colored pigment for dirt on the sides of the tank. Unfortunately, no decals were provided.

Again, this is only my second tank. Please feel free to comment and let me know what I can do to make a better tank and improve my results. 

IMG_0850_zps2luf93hq.jpg

IMG_0851_zpsqryp56t1.jpgIMG_0852_zpsedue9plf.jpgIMG_0853_zpszjzjq4rc.jpgIMG_0854_zps9qgnmin6.jpgIMG_0855_zpsrpawnb9o.jpgIMG_0856_zpsql708nbl.jpg

Edited by Texan76
  • Like 11

Agreed, your airbrushing is excellent and it has really brought your tiny model to life!  :thumbsup:

If you are interested in a very different, but exceedingly cool type of skirmish game, you might find some of the rule-sets from these guys to be of interest:  http://toofatlardies.co.uk/

I have 'I ain't been shot mum!', 'Troops, Weapons & Tactics' & 'Chain of Command'.....The latter is particularly good.  :thumbsup:

PS - They even have rule-sets for 'wingy-things' ('Bag The Hun').  :coolio:

I believe all the rule-sets cater for solo battles, but the real joy of these systems is that you can learn 'em in an evening.....They are very unconventional too, there's no standard 'I go, you go' turn structure, everything is a little less certain than that.  'Chain of Command' uses an utterly unique deployment system that seems complex & rather strange until you play it through, at which point you discover that it actually creates a much more interesting and realistic game.  :coolio: