1/6 Tamiya Honda CB1100R

With the conclusion of the Honda CX500 Turbo build, I thought I would see if I could cram in another Tamiya bike. It will probably be a few weeks before I do much with the kit, but I will post some work in progress whenever I get the time to work on it. I have a second lighting kit which I may fit to the bike but nothing is set in stone as of yet. I've been meaning to build this kit for some time, so I think now would be a good enough excuse. So lets get cracking!

T57hVuU.jpg
eIOOFqR.jpg
DqP6VrI.jpg
x6WijxS.jpg
0hEeyeY.jpg
tpQBHDA.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers

Good luck with it Lee...it's a cracking kit! From memory (and if you're fussy!) there are a few mistakes in the kit. Disc brakes were taken from the 750f kit and shouldn't have the thin slots, the fairing needs the curve on the underside, over the forks and the frame joint is wrong on the front downtubes. Like I say, only if you're fussy! ;-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally found some time this week to make a bit of progress on the CB1100R build. As with the CX Turbo I started with the engine and frame, I hope to get the carbs built and installed with the engine and airbox this weekend. I should have a rolling chassis done by this time next week and maybe the bodywork finished. I used Mr Hobby 1200 primer on all of the parts and once the frame was painted I lacquered it with a 2k clear coat. Once the engine parts had been painted black they were coated in an automotive 2k satin clear coat, basically the same products I used on the CX500 Turbo build.

1tPstRr.jpg
8lBweK1.jpg
1LPSgkz.jpg
uZr2XeJ.jpg
7mHnMGD.jpg
81cEU7N.jpg
QFeZXBA.jpg
y1Vl3NS.jpg
2cT8APl.jpg
5TDbweo.jpg
1wZVkOi.jpg
8SMvKik.jpg
7j28gev.jpg
FYgOzaQ.jpg
Por0qSu.jpg
Ai0TM8B.jpg
0wFS4Gs.jpg
Bn8wDKW.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 1

On 22/09/2016 at 6:31 PM, vontrips said:

Good luck with it Lee...it's a cracking kit! From memory (and if you're fussy!) there are a few mistakes in the kit. Disc brakes were taken from the 750f kit and shouldn't have the thin slots, the fairing needs the curve on the underside, over the forks and the frame joint is wrong on the front downtubes. Like I say, only if you're fussy! ;-)

Thanks for the heads up on the inaccuracies,i see what you mean about the discs,which i may be able to correct,not sure about the fairing,i can see that at the lower rear were it bends down,there appears to be too much fairing that is squared off,the part next to the curved down section but nearest to the cylinder head,this could be trimmed back a bit i guess,as for the frame tubes,i aint that fussed,it,s close enough for me considering the age of the kit,i am sure Tamiya would improve the kit if they built new kits today,but i very much doubt we will see the likes of these size kits ever again,they would be too expensive to market i think,i would love to get a 1/6 Honda CBX prolink kit,but never seen one forsale.

• Like 1

Lee,

I only have two pics of the fairing from a long time ago - neither of them show the mod adequately!

Fairing.jpg

If I recall, I used the top half of the bowl of a standard white plastic teaspoon! I remember sitting in the canteen and thinking it had the perfect size and curvature! :)

I just filed an arc shaped cut out in the underside of the fairing (which matched the spoon shape) glued it in, filed the join and painted.

Edited by vontrips

On 03/11/2016 at 11:00 PM, vontrips said:

Lee,

I only have two pics of the fairing from a long time ago - neither of them show the mod adequately!

Fairing.jpg

If I recall, I used the top half of the bowl of a standard white plastic teaspoon! I remember sitting in the canteen and thinking it had the perfect size and curvature! :)

I just filed an arc shaped cut out in the underside of the fairing (which matched the spoon shape) glued it in, filed the join and painted.

Hi thanks for the pic, man you are fussy!!! LOL, I see what you are getting at but I won't lose sleep over that modification, as I have pretty much got the fairing done.

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 1

Hi all, got a bit more work done on the CB1100R this week. I glued the fairing tank and tail unit halves together tidying up the seams and made a modification to the tank at the rear. On the real bike there is a mounting hole made in the shape of a tube, so I drilled into the tank and cynoed a 3mm brass tube into it, this made a passable representation of what I was after. Also the front disc rotors on the kit ones had slots in the outer edge of the mounting area, on the real bike they were not present so I filled them in with cyno. Also the bottom rear edge of the fairing had too much plastic on the inside edge so I shaved some of that off. My 1982 CBX prolink has the same fairing, apart from an additional add on lower section that isn't on the CB1100R but I think Tamiya did a pretty good job of making the fairing look correct.

I fitted the clocks together and the rear suspension units and gave them a coat of 2K clear gloss, then I started to add the decals. I had problems with the first decal I tried from the CB1100R kit as it's a very old kit these days and the decals started to break up when I applied the decal on the battery. The same problem appeared with some of the decals on the rear suspension, luckily I also have a 1/6 scale CB750FA kit which I managed to rob the decals from to replace the broken ones. I also intend to build this kit but make it with some major modifications from standard, so the decals won't really be necessary for the build I have in mind for the future. I was lucky that the kit supplied decals for the speedo, tacho and indicator/dash lights went on without any problems. I painted the bodywork with Mr Hobby white, I had sprayed it over a black base coat to give it a good solid colour, the white I chose was a slightly off white colour which I think looks more realistic for the scale of the bike. However it takes quite a few days for this paint to harden correctly, so I have decided to leave the masking up and painting of the red sections on the bodywork until this weekend. Hopefully I will have more progress to show you next week.

FgQp2Wa.jpg
rG8yLVb.jpg
GYcwpqj.jpg
qPBIBiJ.jpg
tbIOlKm.jpg
vtMnmLx.jpg
qZdhKIu.jpg
OEDdcfl.jpg
MEMkVGS.jpg
Wnf5ylk.jpg
7sIAcQp.jpg
iDXVgCa.jpg
8HaoeX0.jpg
klHxdji.jpg
tIZZmgf.jpg
6w4e71G.jpg
8NuZqKG.jpg
NNb9tiI.jpg
tcFK4IX.jpg
pViCdZY.jpg
cDSlBTy.jpg
aJQS0Pc.jpg
BK7FmYl.jpg
GXkhE7P.jpg
754zMbT.jpg
GFbYfjC.jpg
rS6gZOd.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 1

Very nice job Lee! That red looks spot on. I used a Halfords Ford red which matched the decals perfectly, but I cannot remember the code and I need some for another project - may use your choice!

Regarding the decals; I got hold of the newer Cartograph decals and they were the best I've ever used. Think I ordered them through The Hobby Company - maybe worth asking them?

Love that CBX! Was that fairing standard? Only remember the early naked ones.

26 minutes ago, vontrips said:

Very nice job Lee! That red looks spot on. I used a Halfords Ford red which matched the decals perfectly, but I cannot remember the code and I need some for another project - may use your choice!

Regarding the decals; I got hold of the newer Cartograph decals and they were the best I've ever used. Think I ordered them through The Hobby Company - maybe worth asking them?

26 minutes ago, vontrips said:

This CBX is the last model they made 1982 1000c model in pearl white,this came from the USA about 6 months ago,i bought it about a month ago,only got 22000 miles on the clock, very tidy.

• Like 1

Hi all, been busy working on the bike the last few days, I added the front end and most of the cables and oil pipes. The paintwork was masked and airbrushed in the red colour and most of the decals added, I then gave the bodywork a few coats of 2k clear lacquer and then I left them on a warm radiator overnight to cure. This morning they had hardened off enough for me to flat down and mask up the red areas, then I added a final white colour coat. I just need to add a decal on the top of the tank and on the rear of the tail unit, then the final lacquer coat should all be assembled and finished by this time next week.

fP9fEko.jpg
dzHPBP7.jpg
0jF9Ucu.jpg
js3WUoG.jpg
mhaYUMY.jpg
xEZrF4u.jpg
l9Ctcse.jpg
MfLRnc4.jpg
ZQvPF0q.jpg
2liTZke.jpg
JDdNHDc.jpg
pNT8Mil.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers

Hi all, well apart from a few small details like adding an oil wash to the alloy footpeg hangers and touching up a few nuts and bolts around the frame I have almost finished this build. I lacquered all the bodywork on Monday and I'm pleased to say it all went without any issues. I did find that adding some 2k lacquer hardener to the Mr Hobby color US Navy white H316, the paint dried in about 4 hours, this allowed me to mask up and lacquer over without any problems. I used this particular shade because it looked correct for this model bike and worked well with the red.

The kit decals were old and very brittle, I was glad that I painted on the red panels and used just the Honda wing decals for the tank, Honda in white for the fairing and I used the CB1100R for the seat tail unit and the red Honda decal was used above the tail light. The fairing mirrors were fitted by using white tac pushed into the screw holes, then I taped them into position and used white pva to glue them in place. I didn't like the silver number plate that came with the kit so I changed it to black and then added the CB1100R which was cut from one of the spare decals. Just got the tail unit to bolt onto the rear of the bike and the bike should be ready for reveal later today.

9GIsizx.jpg
0eiYGBG.jpg
ua3hu62.jpg
vJySPTp.jpg
XBKLdHX.jpg
AcUm4lf.jpg
9aQ4Y4g.jpg
O84Udd7.jpg
fkT8lFc.jpg
lCsPBh4.jpg
zDLB6nm.jpg
3VUJLtI.jpg