What to add to ultrasonic cleaner

mtchllro

As the header says what do you add to a ultrasonic bath to aid cleaning airbrush components.

I have been suffering from airbrush blockages my normal strip down and cleaning seems to be insufficient.

So after a quick shop on eBay I have a small ultrasonic bath my question is apart from water what else should I add?

Airbrush has only been used to spray acrylic paints,Klear and clear I don't want to damage any seals etc.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Séan Pádraig said:

I use airbrush cleaner in a small tub with the parts, this is placed into the machine filled with tap water... seems to work fine.

So ab cleaner straight ,in a tub and tub in the water is that right ?

I don't own an ultrasonic cleaner, but I would think that you should use whatever cleaner you normally use for the type of paint you normally shoot through your airbrush — mineral spirits/lacquer thinner for enamels, water/alcohol for water-based paints, or the proprietary thinner for the brand of paint you're using, etc. All the ultrasonic cleaner does is agitate the cleaning solution so as to better get it into all the nooks and crannies where dried paint might accumulate.

IPA, Isopropyl Alcohol, Isopropynol, all mildly different words for the same chemical.  It's good at getting acrylic paint, dirt, and all sorts of other things loosened to allow the cleaner do its work.  You can buy it at a chemist in small quantities if you look respectable, or on eBay for about £15 for 5 litres.  One of those cans lasts ages :)

If you're doing a long bath though, watch the fumes when you lift the lid.  The water/alcohol mix gets quite warm, so the fumes are heady after 17-20 minutes :hypnotised:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just put a few drops of washing up liquid in the water, nothing more. Drop the disassembled AB into the bath, 6 minutes on the timer and it's very clean. Works well for the wife's jewelry, too. 

i rarely use enamels anymore, so not sure if that would matter. 

It's less about the chemistry and more about the physics. The sound waves beat on the instrument in the water and this breaks loose and pulverized the paint so that it just rinses out. 

The actual physical process is that the ultrasonic waves agitate the Oxygen atoms in the contained liquid. These vibrate and this action, A, helps loosen mucky stuff, (just drop your significant other half's jewelry in...), and B, warms up the liquid if used for prolonged applications, (see Mike above).

Depending on what paint I have been using I use IPA, AB cleaner, relevant thinner, or water with a dollop of washing-up liquid.

Christian, exiled to africa