1/48 Hawker Typhoon 1b, 175 Sqn, Schleswig, Germany 1945. After 4 years its finished!

20 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

The colours are all Tamiya and the mix ratios are:

Dull Roundel Red : 75% Flat Red (XF-7), 25% Red Brown (XF-64)

Roundel Blue : 75% Flat Blue (XF-8), 25% Flat Black (XF-1)

Roundel Yellow : 95% Flat Yellow (XF-3), 5% Flat Red (XF-7)

HTH

Iain

Nice one Iain thanks for that☺ wish me luck im going in!!😱

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hi Val

Thanks mate. I will need to carry out a little weathering myself - covers a multitude of sins!

Take it easy fella

Iain

well, you can't see any issues at all from this end of a monitor!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crustydude said:

Nice one Iain thanks for that☺ wish me luck im going in!!😱

No problems at all mate.

My only advice is to take it steady, spray the white first then work from the inside out and try not to remove the masks unless you absolutely must. Good luck.

Hi everyone

No pictorial update today. All I've done is mask up and paint the yellow to the leading edges and they've turned out ok, however the yellow paint has high lighted the fact that there is quite a nasty seem line between the starboard upper and lower wing joints so I'll let the paint dry for 24 hours and give it a smear of perfect plastic putty before touching it up (the story of my modelling life at the moment :o

Laters

Iain

• Like 1

Hi everyone

A small update for you. Over the past few days I've finished touching up the markings, added the decals and sprayed the walk ways onto the wings and I think she is starting to look ok...

P1030846_zpsioeji99f.jpg

P1030843_zpsubkw0esc.jpg

P1030842_zpsk7pmjj8w.jpg

P1030841_zpsnjacr6gn.jpg

P1030840_zpssmrqyzga.jpg

P1030839_zpsmixgkwcf.jpg

...Still plenty to do. 

Ladies and gents I'd like to get your opinions if I may, weathering? What do you think the levels of weathering should be for a Typhoon? I've seen plenty of photos of them looking pretty clean and tidy and very few of them looking war weary.

Thanks in advance.

Iain 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

Would a late production Typhoon in the SW serial range have been on the front line long enough to get very weathered?

My thoughts exactly! I figured I'd just do a little chipping around the gun hatches on the wing and maybe the cockpit area, a little light weathering underneath, exhaust staining and that's pretty much that? 

My thoughts about war weary typhoons....Probably not that much of soot, oil spillage and general muck, but probably quite a bit of mud.

After all, it's spring and they were operating from forward bases so I guess quite a bit of mud were splashing about.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Christer A said:

My thoughts about war weary typhoons....Probably not that much of soot, oil spillage and general muck, but probably quite a bit of mud.

After all, it's spring and they were operating from forward bases so I guess quite a bit of mud were splashing about.

Hey Christer

Thanks for your input. I think ill keep the air frame weathering to a minimum and concentrate on making her a little grubby.

laters

Iain

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Well she's still not finished but I am getting there....slowly!

I've painted the canopy (only placed on), added the cannons (I used the kit ones - horrible) and they still need some work to blend them in and some paint, started on the under carriage (again only placed on) and umm well thats about it really.

I've still got to paint the exhausts and weather her up a little, add the seat and gun sight, add the rockets and do all the little finishing type things.

Here she is as of 19:00 tonight...

P1030847_zpscj4vpmq5.jpg

P1030848_zpsrheonjtk.jpg

P1030849_zpsrrfaosdn.jpg

P1030850_zpshig6j88a.jpg

P1030851_zps4y1liyen.jpg

P1030852_zpsvk2zwxxf.jpg

P1030853_zpsf9riuvzm.jpg

P1030854_zpsruswvsyc.jpg

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Christer A said:

I love it!

Hey Christer

cheers mate, she is starting to look the part

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is looking really beautiful Iain. Great project. It's going to look amazing when it's finished. :thumbsup:

KInd regards,

Stix

Stix

good to hear from you fella. Many thanks it's appreciated.

laters

iain

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Its nearly done....

P1030865_zps3p1e7wqa.jpg

P1030864_zps4yres4tq.jpg

P1030863_zpsshd27b1j.jpg

P1030862_zpsav7a5x3g.jpg

P1030862_zpsav7a5x3g.jpg

P1030860_zpskr5kura2.jpg

P1030859_zpsei2oukzm.jpgP1030858_zpsqnwr0jee.jpg

P1030857_zpsia6dwonc.jpg

P1030856_zpsenug0czh.jpg

...I've still to paint the cannon's, add the nav lights and identification lamp, add the entrance step, add the whip antenna, add the gun sight, add the rockets and rails, several touch ups, give her a semi gloss coat and decide on the weathering.

TBH I think I'm going to air on the side of only giving it a very light weathering as I'm very happy with how it looks as is, what do you think?

Cheers

Iain

• Like 8

Hi everyone

I wasn't going to show anymore pictures until the build was complete but I've spent today doing rockets n rails, now I've only done one side but I'm quite happy with how they look..

File_001_zpsgkl7c6b0.jpeg

..now to finish the other side. So until it appears in the RFI section ta ta.

Iain

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kahunaminor said:

Iain,

Great office space, well appointed and well stocked. The build is coming along so very well, a pleasure to watch (if a bit late to the party). 

Love the build and it it looks like an absolute gem.

Regards,

Good evening mate

thanks for the comments mate, much appreciated. The hasegawa tiffy is a lovely kit and I think it captures the look of the subject incredibly well. But I'll be glad when there are photos in the RFI section as this one was been a long time in production (4 years) and it's time I finished some other stalled kits.

cheers fella

iain.

• Like 1