19th Century Hansom Cab

perdu

The first Hansom Cab on its first trip drove down Coventry Road in Hinkley in 1835.

In 1831 Yorkshire architect Joseph Hansom designed Birmingham Town Hall with his partner Edward Welch

Problems with surety for the builder bankrupted them unfortunately.

He designed 'The Patent Safety Cab' then he sold the patent for £10,000, but sadly that was never paid.

:(

The idea for building this has been in my head for many years, now it is out here at last.

The model is to 54mm scale, scratchbuilt from plasticard with figures modified from the Airfix Collectors Series

It is my tribute to an unfortunate Victorian genius

P1110445.jpg

P1110433.jpg

P1110434.jpg

P1110441.jpg

P1110439.jpg

P1110446.jpg

I hope you like it

Edited by perdu
  • Like 11

Absolutely marvellous model making Bill! Thoroughly enjoyed your build thread with your ingenious methods of making the parts to give such a superb and really different end result!

Excellent job, hope to get a good look at Neddy & Jolyon at Telford!

Keith

Superb Bill. Informative yet poignant back story. Fine scratch building which gets better the more you look at it. The small details really set it off, especially the harness, buckles and whip. I can imagine a caped Moriarty type figure climbing inside.

• Like 1

Thanks, as the fat bird who closed The Morecambe And Wise Show always said "I love you all!"

Its very kind of you all to say you like it yes and the little bits Tommo, but any thoughts of me ADDING more figures.

Well that ain't a gonna happen.

I'm just not cut out for figuration and I will happily leave that art form to the experts.

Again thank y'all.

• Like 1