question: USMC & TOW missiles

exdraken

Question: is the TOW missile still used on USMC Ah-1W Super Cobra helicopters? Or since when would they use Hellfire only?

Building such a maschine at the moment in the Huey GB :)

Thanks!

Edited by exdraken

The AH-1W has been replaced in service with the AH-1Z, i believe the Z carries only Hellfire, Hydra rockets and Sidewinders.

I think the AH-1W routinely carried a load of Hellfires on one pylon balanced by TOW on the other pylon in the late nineties.

• Like 1

There are still plenty of AH-1W's in service, with at least 6 units still flying them. Currently 22 MEU are carrying out combat ops against IS/Daesh with the AH-1W from onboard the USS Wasp (LHD1).

Loadout is TOW/Hellfire/ 7 and 19 shot Zuni pods, or a combination of.

• Like 1

With mixed loads the Marines prefer to put the TOW missiles on the side opposite the tail rotor in case the TOW guidance wire breaks; there's less chance of it fouling the tail rotor that way.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2016 at 7:08 PM, Murph said:

With mixed loads the Marines prefer to put the TOW missiles on the side opposite the tail rotor in case the TOW guidance wire breaks; there's less chance of it fouling the tail rotor that way.

Regards,

Murph

That isn't necessarily true. We flew 3 x LAU-68 with TOW on numerous missions in Afghanistan and the TOW was almost always on the starboard side of the aircraft.

666R3023_zpsoz3v21kq.jpg

• Like 2

thanks everybody!

very interesting all this first rate info to me!

so much to learn obviously!!

:thumbsup:

just in case sombody interested in the build itself: 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007660-ah-1w-super-cobra-nts-exhaust-mod-hmla-467-tribute-148/&page=2

Edited by exdraken

23 hours ago, Flying Leathernecks Decals said:

That isn't necessarily true. We flew 3 x LAU-68 with TOW on numerous missions in Afghanistan and the TOW was almost always on the starboard side of the aircraft.

666R3023_zpsoz3v21kq.jpg

I dont fancy the front gunners job! :D

On 9/24/2016 at 11:21 AM, Flying Leathernecks Decals said:

666R3023_zpsoz3v21kq.jpg

Might I ask if there was/is any particular reason for the 7-shot pod being preferred over the 19 <forgets which LAU that is>? 

3 hours ago, scotthldr said:

I actually think the 19 shot would be preferred due to the extra punch, however weight with a full load and operating in hot climates may be an issue. 

It's most likely they were going up on patrol, if they had to engage a target they had enough firepower to handle the situation but if no combat, they can still be within weight limits for landing as mentioned in a hot climate. 

Jari

thanks everybody for your input!

new as we are at it,

what advantages does the Hellfire- TOW mix bring to the battle?  as i understand it it is IR guidance vs wire guidance. And warhead size?

thanks!

Werner

I understand, from reading an article in AFM a year or so ago, that the TOW warhead is smaller and is preferred when taking out a building etc and avoiding collateral damage.

Hellfire is a much more powerful weapon.

However TOW is also cheeper, and I suspect that is also part of the reason.

James